2012 iMac! Excited!

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
I'm excited to get the new 2012 iMac. Here's what I'm hoping for:

Thunderbolt Graphic cards (not likely, at all)
1 GB Graphics standard on the 27 inch
1 TB storage standard
Brand new design
Retina Display Model
Haswell
USB 3

A guy can dream right?

My concern is Ivy Bridge will be outdated by early next year, March to June, Or this new model will just be a slight spec bump. Anyone know if the refurb prices go down further when the new ones are released? The 27 inch $1419 looks like an awesome deal.

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Haswell likely to me marginal benefit on real world computing power for desktops, with a new architecture which may or may not have teething problems. For me, the main reason I am holding out for a 2012 iMac is SSD as I don't fancy doing a DIY install and don't want unsightly cables out of the side

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

Pretty sure Haswell isn't coming out till like the end of Spring 2013. Ivy Bridge didn't come out that long ago, and will not be "dated" for a at least a few years. Also, while Haswell will have the usual ~20% performance improvements, it's main focus is on energy, meaning using a lot less of it. Which is fine and all, but not that important for an iMac.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Pretty sure Haswell isn't coming out till like the end of Spring 2013. Ivy Bridge didn't come out that long ago, and will not be "dated" for a at least a few years. Also, while Haswell will have the usual ~20% performance improvements, it's main focus is on energy, meaning using a lot less of it. Which is fine and all, but not that important for an iMac.
Speed and energy savings is definitely a selling point. Haswell is supposed to double the graphics abilities of Ivy Bridge. I'm not going to hold out 6 months on an iMac just for a processor, but Ivy Bridge Processor iMacs will come out 2012, then months later Haswell comes out isn't awesome.

Anything on the refurb prices dropping when the new ones come out? Probably still get a new one for USB 3.

Lynn Belvedere

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Speed and energy savings is definitely a selling point. Haswell is supposed to double the graphics abilities of Ivy Bridge. I'm not going to hold out 6 months on an iMac just for a processor, but Ivy Bridge Processor iMacs will come out 2012, then months later Haswell comes out isn't awesome.

Anything on the refurb prices dropping when the new ones come out? Probably still get a new one for USB 3.
Haswell won't exist until 2013 and iMacs will use discreet graphics cards anyway, so the graphical power of Haswell is meaningless for iMacs.

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Even if Haswell releases it doesn't mean Apple will release a new update right away. Apple always makes us wait a few months for testing before they sell new computer hardware. Look at this year's update on the rMBP and MBA, they both released after about 2 months since Ivy Bridge processors were finally available (April 25th I believe or somewhere around there).

Confuzzzed

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Haswell won't exist until 2013 and iMacs will use discreet graphics cards anyway, so the graphical power of Haswell is meaningless for iMacs.
This! At least that's my understanding as well. So Haswell will be a big jump for laptops (especially MacBook Airs) but less so for desktops. Unless someone knows different with regards to overall Haswell architecture which MAY in fact improve the performance of the discreet GPUs in which case I take my comment back. I wouldn't think so though.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
This! At least that's my understanding as well. So Haswell will be a big jump for laptops (especially MacBook Airs) but less so for desktops. Unless someone knows different with regards to overall Haswell architecture which MAY in fact improve the performance of the discreet GPUs in which case I take my comment back. I wouldn't think so though.
Considering the performance increases between SB desktop CPUs and IB desktop CPUs, there is nothing to get too excited about in terms of Haswell for the iMac fans. Haswell won't make a difference to discreet GPUs either.

Even for mobile users the improvements to the IGP will not be earth shattering and a half-decent discreet mobile GPU will still walk all over Intel's HD solution.

Haswell is also expected to double the graphics performance vs. Ivy Bridge processors bringing its performance on par with the $50 - $70 graphics cards.

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I'm excited to get the new 2012 iMac. ...
I'd like to be excited as much as you are, but actually I'm starting to lose faith ... no more rumors, that Kuo guy is maybe dead ! (and I don't even know if he's reliable ...)

I wish we had more hints about "an imminent refresh" ...

karpich1

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2007
The only things I'm looking for are:

- Better GPU (video card)
- Preferably SSD standard, so I can pick it up at an AppleStore
- Slightly faster
- USB 3

That's it really it.

I'm in the group that does NOT want Retina on the iMac. And as for Haswell... no real big changes and it comes out next year... so I'd rather not wait.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
The only things I'm looking for are:

- Better GPU (video card)
- Preferably SSD standard, so I can pick it up at an AppleStore
- Slightly faster
- USB 3

That's it really it.

I'm in the group that does NOT want Retina on the iMac. And as for Haswell... no real big changes and it comes out next year... so I'd rather not wait.
Me too,i think Haswell makes sense for 2013 laptops,while IvyBridge-Imac2012 delays of is not making any sense.I hope all this time worths the wait .

mzjin

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011

Haswell is irrelevant to the iMac because the iMac will not be using its integrated GPU.

Haswell has negligible performance benefits as well. Perhaps 10% increase clock for clock.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Who is getting the 27 inch? Or 21.5? Or 21.5 and another 21.5 monitor??

The day is near!

NunoBerny

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
Yet, there are many here who expect Apple to launch a new desktop computer every year. And while processor is not everything....
It doesn't have to be a NEW iMac.
It can be "just" adding some bits and keeping it current.
In the first half, they could have upgraded the processor, memory, USB3 and HD. There are, to my untrained eye, a matter of swapping parts.

It didn't have to be a new design or revolutionary concept.

Apple is known for, at a cost, allowing his users to have the best. It hasn't been true for a few months, really.

----------

Who is getting the 27 inch? Or 21.5? Or 21.5 and another 21.5 monitor??

The day is near!
If it's not way too pricier, I'll buy the 21.5 inch iMac the day it comes out.

marzer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Colorado
You know something everyone else doesn't?
Yes! The Mayan's were interpreted incorrectly! December 21, 2012, NOT the end of the world. Apparently that's when the Mayan's predicted new Mac's would arrive! :rolleyes:

Who'd a thunk it. The prospect of the world ending is less distressing than a delayed Mac refresh :eek:

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
A redesign for the iMac would be awesome, but I would be happy as long as we see updated hardware.. If not then at least a reasonable price drop..