2012 iMac! Excited!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Klae17, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

I'm excited to get the new 2012 iMac. Here's what I'm hoping for:

Thunderbolt Graphic cards (not likely, at all)
    1 GB Graphics standard on the 27 inch
    1 TB storage standard
    Brand new design
    Retina Display Model
    Haswell
    USB 3

A guy can dream right?

My concern is Ivy Bridge will be outdated by early next year, March to June, Or this new model will just be a slight spec bump. Anyone know if the refurb prices go down further when the new ones are released? The 27 inch $1419 looks like an awesome deal.

2. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

Haswell likely to me marginal benefit on real world computing power for desktops, with a new architecture which may or may not have teething problems. For me, the main reason I am holding out for a 2012 iMac is SSD as I don't fancy doing a DIY install and don't want unsightly cables out of the side

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Pretty sure Haswell isn't coming out till like the end of Spring 2013. Ivy Bridge didn't come out that long ago, and will not be "dated" for a at least a few years. Also, while Haswell will have the usual ~20% performance improvements, it's main focus is on energy, meaning using a lot less of it. Which is fine and all, but not that important for an iMac.

4. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Speed and energy savings is definitely a selling point. Haswell is supposed to double the graphics abilities of Ivy Bridge. I'm not going to hold out 6 months on an iMac just for a processor, but Ivy Bridge Processor iMacs will come out 2012, then months later Haswell comes out isn't awesome.

Anything on the refurb prices dropping when the new ones come out? Probably still get a new one for USB 3.

5. Lynn Belvedere macrumors regular

Haswell won't exist until 2013 and iMacs will use discreet graphics cards anyway, so the graphical power of Haswell is meaningless for iMacs.

6. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Even if Haswell releases it doesn't mean Apple will release a new update right away. Apple always makes us wait a few months for testing before they sell new computer hardware. Look at this year's update on the rMBP and MBA, they both released after about 2 months since Ivy Bridge processors were finally available (April 25th I believe or somewhere around there).

7. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

This! At least that's my understanding as well. So Haswell will be a big jump for laptops (especially MacBook Airs) but less so for desktops. Unless someone knows different with regards to overall Haswell architecture which MAY in fact improve the performance of the discreet GPUs in which case I take my comment back. I wouldn't think so though.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Considering the performance increases between SB desktop CPUs and IB desktop CPUs, there is nothing to get too excited about in terms of Haswell for the iMac fans. Haswell won't make a difference to discreet GPUs either.

Even for mobile users the improvements to the IGP will not be earth shattering and a half-decent discreet mobile GPU will still walk all over Intel's HD solution.

9. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

I'd like to be excited as much as you are, but actually I'm starting to lose faith ... no more rumors, that Kuo guy is maybe dead ! (and I don't even know if he's reliable ...)

I wish we had more hints about "an imminent refresh" ...

10. emjaymert macrumors member

"The 27 inch $1419 looks like an awesome deal." ??? WHERE??Please link!!!!!

11. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

There's an echo in here. What's the matter? Don't you understand English? ;)

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Just confirming your uncertainties.

13. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

No uncertainties here! I use the very famous Peter Falk mannerism to appear less closed as I have been told in therapy :rolleyes: that I come across too... patronising and condoscending.

14. karpich1 macrumors regular

The only things I'm looking for are:

- Better GPU (video card)
    - Preferably SSD standard, so I can pick it up at an AppleStore
    - Slightly faster
    - USB 3

That's it really it.

I'm in the group that does NOT want Retina on the iMac. And as for Haswell... no real big changes and it comes out next year... so I'd rather not wait.

15. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

Me too,i think Haswell makes sense for 2013 laptops,while IvyBridge-Imac2012 delays of is not making any sense.I hope all this time worths the wait .

16. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Haswell is irrelevant to the iMac because the iMac will not be using its integrated GPU.

Haswell has negligible performance benefits as well. Perhaps 10% increase clock for clock.

17. davidgnomo macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

That makes sense to me : it would be just stupid for Intel to launch a new desktop processor every year

18. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Yet, there are many here who expect Apple to launch a new desktop computer every year. And while processor is not everything....

19. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

My 2010 imac is just amazing
    I be lost without it...

20. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

21. Klae17 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Who is getting the 27 inch? Or 21.5? Or 21.5 and another 21.5 monitor??

The day is near!

22. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You know something everyone else doesn't?

23. NunoBerny macrumors regular

NunoBerny

It doesn't have to be a NEW iMac.
    It can be "just" adding some bits and keeping it current.
    In the first half, they could have upgraded the processor, memory, USB3 and HD. There are, to my untrained eye, a matter of swapping parts.

It didn't have to be a new design or revolutionary concept.

Apple is known for, at a cost, allowing his users to have the best. It hasn't been true for a few months, really.

----------

If it's not way too pricier, I'll buy the 21.5 inch iMac the day it comes out.

24. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Yes! The Mayan's were interpreted incorrectly! December 21, 2012, NOT the end of the world. Apparently that's when the Mayan's predicted new Mac's would arrive! :rolleyes:

Who'd a thunk it. The prospect of the world ending is less distressing than a delayed Mac refresh :eek:

25. Yamcha macrumors 68000

A redesign for the iMac would be awesome, but I would be happy as long as we see updated hardware.. If not then at least a reasonable price drop..