Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjNJ

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Most likely September 25th

Checked several stores in NJ area for availability for 21.5" iMac, online. They all say available on September 25th, or for delivery option it says delivered between Sept. 21st-25th

The Samurai

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2007
Glasgow
and Apple isn't going to talk about Macs at an iPhone event

Except that they did, Tim Cooks opening words were in relation to Macs and Mountain Lion and how they had a bumper summer. He said Retina macbook pros have been in demand during the summer... gave some Mountain Lion stats etc.

At this point, I was thinking we could possibly see a silent refresh. My only guess is that they mentioned this as they intend to silently update the Macs later this month or come October (ex-event).

BriMercer

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
We learned about the Sept 12 Apple even at the end of July, some six weeks before it took place. If there was going to be an Apple event in October, we would have heard about it by now.

I suspect an iPad mini, if it exists (let's face it, we've heard rumors about an iPad mini since the original iPad was introduced) I suspect it would be rolled out in the spring, alongside whatever new iteration of iPad is likely to come out next. The New New iPad, or whatever. No October iPad mini event.

Three likely scenarios:

1. Redesigned iMac 2012 is released in October with an annoucement in the press.

2. Silent spec bump in October.

3. No new iMac until 2013.

I think 2 is unlikely. As many point out, if a mere spec bump was going to happen, it would have happened by now.

canadax14

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Canada
No Imacs (Both 21 and 27 inch) are in stock on the Canadian apple website. At least 1-2 business days. Don't know if this has ever happened for non-BTO models?

AlphaMF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
Checked several stores in NJ area for availability for 21.5" iMac, online. They all say available on September 25th, or for delivery option it says delivered between Sept. 21st-25th

Just checked area code 10001 and almost full availablity across all models. Only the lowend 27 inch had a few due to arrive 19th sept.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
The October Apple event will be an iMac event. FACT

The one more thing will be iPad mini, and Apple will give a free iPad mini to everyone in the MacRumors forum that have complained about the delay in launching the iMac.

You may worship me later when my words come to pass.

AlphaMF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
The October Apple event will be an iMac event. FACT

The one more thing will be iPad mini, and Apple will give a free iPad mini to everyone in the MacRumors forum that have complained about the delay in launching the iMac.

You may worship me later when my words come to pass.

Bears, beets, battlestar galactica.

They have a 13" rMBP, an iMac, mac mini and iPad mini. There is just no chance they will launch all 4 at the same event. And definitely not when its a completely new product.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/08/kuo_late_2012_launch_schedule.jpg

If we look at that and tweak the dates according to yesterdays iPod/iPhone launch, it MIGHT be thay apple pushed the iPhone launch 2 weeks ahead to keep product launches 2 weeks apart. This would leave room for either an iPad event ultimo Sept. or mac launch ultimo sept and iPad launch/event medio october.

If there is no launch sept 25, it will be ultimo October in order to wait for the 27" iMac.

Either way, I think Apple are as frustrated by all this as we are. There is no way they wouldnt have preffered a launch @ wwdc or atleast with ML.

22mac

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Bears, beets, battlestar galactica.

They have a 13" rMBP, an iMac, mac mini and iPad mini. There is just no chance they will launch all 4 at the same event. And definitely not when its a completely new product.

http://cdn.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/08/kuo_late_2012_launch_schedule.jpg

If we look at that and tweak the dates according to yesterdays iPod/iPhone launch, it MIGHT be thay apple pushed the iPhone launch 2 weeks ahead to keep product launches 2 weeks apart. This would leave room for either an iPad event ultimo Sept. or mac launch ultimo sept and iPad launch/event medio october.

If there is no launch sept 25, it will be ultimo October in order to wait for the 27" iMac.

Either way, I think Apple are as frustrated by all this as we are. There is no way they wouldnt have preffered a launch @ wwdc or atleast with ML.

Well it shows that the guy is wrong as he said the iPod nano would launch after the iPhone. That means all the other date are up in the air really and dont mean much

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Yeah the Kuo's stuff isn't that credible but it's been the "best" source so far.

There are still some things that doesn't make sense. Yesterday they launched iP, iPod Touch and Nano at the same time which makes sense.

Why would they separate iPad mini and updated iPad? They're the same category, just like iPods.

Same goes for Mac's. Why would they separate them? Even back in July 2011 they launched new Macbook Airs, Minis and TB display at once. Makes more sense.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Well it shows that the guy is wrong as he said the iPod nano would launch after the iPhone. That means all the other date are up in the air really and dont mean much

Kuo's got a pretty good handle on the supply chain. On actual retail launch dates, he's guessing as much as we are. Guesses we make based on his data are as (or more) likely to be correct as his.

I think the remaining question is if there is one October launch (a big bang) or two (iPads separate from Macs). I'm suspecting two.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Kuo's got a pretty good handle on the supply chain. On actual retail launch dates, he's guessing as much as we are. Guesses we make based on his data are as (or more) likely to be correct as his.

I think the remaining question is if there is one October launch (a big bang) or two (iPads separate from Macs). I'm suspecting two.

That'd be crazy, can't really imagine it... but it's possible why not.

I'm more like a "late-october-ipad-event-and-november-silent-mac-updates" kind a guy now, would be cool to get everything in october. October christmas, I'd like that.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
wait so it's confirmed Apple is hosting an event in October?

that's got to be the iMac announcement right before Thanksgiving and Christmas makes the most sense

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
wait so it's confirmed Apple is hosting an event in October?

Of course the announcements aren't in the mail, but an October event containing the iPad Mini has been confirmed by reliable sources. We just don't know the rest of the agenda, if there even is a rest of the agenda.

----------

I'm just going to wait for the mid-2014 iMac. Hopefully my early '09 version will last until then.

Why get Broadwell when Skylake is right around the corner? ;)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Honestly I don't think a new iMac or an iPad mini deserves an event. If the iMac is totally redesigned, then yeah ok I could see it, but if it's just a refresh why bother? Apple has made it very clear that they are about mobile, and specifically iOS devices. They still make awesome computers, but it's evident that they aren't really spending a lot of energy pushing them- they probably assume that people who want a Mac know where to get one, and we do. the iPhone is a different story, as it is the new lifeblood of the company, and the more insanity surrounding it the more units they sell. Hence yesterday.

As for the iPad mini- what does it do that an iPad 2/3 doesn't? Do we need to see a demo on a device like that? They could just release a commercial saying "iPad, no available in 10 or 7 inches" and it would still sell like hot cakes.

It might just be me, but I think these events are getting a little tiresome. It's a lot of mystery and flashy advertising to tell me about a product I've known the specs on for months. The only surprise yesterday was the iPod lineup.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Honestly I don't think a new iMac or an iPad mini deserves an event. If the iMac is totally redesigned, then yeah ok I could see it, but if it's just a refresh why bother? Apple has made it very clear that they are about mobile, and specifically iOS devices. They still make awesome computers, but it's evident that they aren't really spending a lot of energy pushing them- they probably assume that people who want a Mac know where to get one, and we do. the iPhone is a different story, as it is the new lifeblood of the company, and the more insanity surrounding it the more units they sell. Hence yesterday.

As for the iPad mini- what does it do that an iPad 2/3 doesn't? Do we need to see a demo on a device like that? They could just release a commercial saying "iPad, no available in 10 or 7 inches" and it would still sell like hot cakes.

It might just be me, but I think these events are getting a little tiresome. It's a lot of mystery and flashy advertising to tell me about a product I've known the specs on for months. The only surprise yesterday was the iPod lineup.

Yeah , I agree apple events used to be exciting. We knew what the iPhone and iPod touch specs were weeks or month before the event. I agree that the iMac will probably be a silent refresh.

vander

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
San Diego, CA

I'm liking the idea of a silent Sept 25th spec bump for the iMacs and the Mac mini, otherwise, it could get a little air time during the iPad mini show, if that happens in October. It will also be interesting to see if they update the iPad 3 with the new Lightning connector at the same time. Sure hope it happens before Oct. 30th, otherwise, it may be a long cold winter without any updates...

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Gruber speculates following the large scale iPhone/iPod event.

I’m not sure where this leaves the early October event I still expect Apple to hold for the iPad Air. Maybe that’ll be a lower-expectation on-campus Town Hall thing, not a Yerba Buena theater thing? What I’d heard a few weeks ago was that the October one would be the “music” event for iPods. Clearly, that plan was scrapped, if indeed it was ever in play.

My best guess for October: an education theme. A smaller (and less expensive) iPad seems like an obvious fit for schools and as a holiday gift for kids. We know from last January’s iBooks event in New York that Apple considers education a high priority, and the iPad is at the center of it. Plus, it would nicely fit with new Macintosh hardware — say, a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina Display and a refreshed lineup of iMacs (but not yet retina, I’m almost certain — affordable 27-inch retina displays remain beyond even Apple’s ken today). Roll in some news from textbook publishers, education-focused app developers, and of course, some iPad games, and Apple would have a solid event.

He was one of the first to suggest separate Apple launches in Autumn for iPhone and then other products.

Of course, the iMac mention does feed into our own desires, but in the context of other rumours of iMac's shipping there is a logic.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120913PD215.html
Another teaser from our reliable friends over at digitimes ;)

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I wish they could just make the October presentation official.

I've been ready to buy for months now. The only thing holding me back is that I don't want to feel stupid when they refresh right after I buy. But I'm getting REALLY tired of waiting.

I think computers without SSDs are unusable so if I bought today, I'd put an SSD in a FireWire enclosure and boot off of that. A little awkward. It would be much nicer to buy a refreshed iMac with an SSD standard, so fingers crossed. You can get a high quality 120GB SSD on NewEgg for $60 now after rebates so it seems almost inexcusable if Apple releases new iMacs without SSDs. The only reason would be that OS X doesn't handle 2nd drives very gracefully. Relatively inexperienced computer users wouldn't know how to access it or what to do with it.

I'd also like to see a switch to 2.5" hard drives. Less noise, less power, less size/weight.

I don't care if they cut the optical drive. Actually I would prefer it. Those things break a lot. I see a lot of used iMacs with broken optical drives. I'll just use my external optical drive for the rare occasions when I need it, and if it breaks at least it's easy and cheap to replace.

I doubt Apple would do a retina display in the sense of doubling the resolution since it would just be too many pixels for the 27" model. More likely is moving to a 4K display (i.e., quad-1080p) at 27-30". That would give a DPI of around 150 which they could claim as a retina resolution for desktops since you sit > 2 feet away from them. I don't have much use for a super high DPI display on a desktop anyway so I don't care.

If they take out the optical drive and move to a 2.5" hard drive, they could make the whole thing thinner or hopefully give it some better cooling. The models I see in stores are often unnervingly hot and I don't have a hard time believing the occasional complaints of screen discoloration due to heat.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20120913PD215.html
Another teaser from our reliable friends over at digitimes ;)

These guys are all over the place. They still insist that there were 3 models, but now they suggest the entry level model was cancelled. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.