2012 MacBook Air 13in vs 2012 MacBook Pro 13in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soccerfan5667, Jul 6, 2012.

1. soccerfan5667 macrumors newbie

This weekend (or maybe next) I am planning on purchasing my first MacBook. (BTW this computer will be my primary computer) I am currently debating whether to get the 13 in. MacBook Air or the 13 in. MacBook Pro. I am going into 9th grade and I am planning to be taking my computer to and from school but not on a regular basis. I am also planning to do quite a bit of programming and some of the regular stuff such as school work, browse the web, etc. What do you guys think I should get and what are the pros and cons for both computers?
    Than

2. robvas macrumors 68020

We've gone over this a million times.

The Air is thinner, comes with a small SSD, and has a higher resolution screen

The Pro has Firewire, wired ethernet, a DVD-RW, and the ability to upgrade the RAM/HD down the road

3. soccerfan5667 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know the technical stuff, I just wanted to hear peoples point of view on this topic. Which computer they think is better.

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally prefer the Air. It will be easier for you since you said you'll have to lug it around regularly. Unless you cannot stand the fact that you can't upgrade it and will have to live in the confined space of the SSD, I would recommend it.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Depends on your needs! We can't determine what you need. You have to decide that on your own. Both machines are good. However, they can be bad if what they are doing is not in line with what they were designed for.

Air is highly portable, it is a bad machine to use a main computer. So on and so forth.

6. k6578 macrumors member

Since it's going to be your primary computer.. some questions for you to consider maybe:

Do you buy CD's to rip or listen to music? Do you watch DVD's?

What if wifi in your house stops working and you have to connect with a cable?

Are you OK with carrying the weight of the MBP to and from school? How about a couple years later when you're in college and need to carry it around regularly.

7. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

???

Get the Macbook Air. The screen is better, the SSD makes your computer just feel faster, even if it isn't on paper, and it's practically a metal frisbee. If you play games both 13" MBP and MBA are going to be a bit average, so don't make that a deciding factor. Get it bumped up to 8GB RAM if you're worried about the speed. The lack of a DVD drive might be a legitimate concern though.

8. SR71 macrumors 68000

I'd go with the MBP. When it comes to school you never know what you'll be having to do, how much space you'll need for files, or how much RAM you'll need for programs (in your case, for programming). This is where the MBP excels! If you need more space, you have the ability to put in two 1TB HDD's for a total of 2TB in your MBP, or if you'd like a lot of space but still want the speed of an SSD, you can put in two 512GB SSD's ($389 on Amazon, which is pretty cheap) and boom, your MBP will be as fast, if not faster than a MBA (MacBook Air). Need more RAM? You can start off with the baseline MBP with 4GB of RAM and see how that goes for you, and if you ever need more, you can order more online (up to 16GB of RAM).

You can't do any of this with the MBA. Yeah, its light, and it comes with an SSD (albeit a very small one), but it doesn't have the ability to be fully customized based on YOUR needs after you've bought it, while the MBP does.

For these sole reasons, the MBA is a much better buy. (Not to mention the fact that if you get an SSD for your MBP, its much cheaper than going through Apple, same with the RAM).

Just my 2 cents. :)

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

While the MacBook air is technically a nicer machine, fast ssd, better resolution screen, etc., it doesn't have the ability to be upgraded. Consider this: installing world.of Warcraft and xcode (for programming) will use up almost 1/4 of your free space. If you have 25gigs of music, video, and pictures, you've used up half of your hard drive in the first day - and this has to last you years.

If If you get a MBA, make sure you have an external drive for storing music and photos on, by the time you graduate high school it'll be near a necessity due to how small the ssd is.

10. colour macrumors regular

They are actually both really nice machines, personally I prefer to MBP the air is nicer in design but only just. MBP is much more powerful and offers more in general and more bang for buck.

11. soccerfan5667 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying.

I haven't used my cd player on my computer for a very long time so I'll doubt I will use it later. Also, the wifi in my house is stable and I always will be using wifi. And, I'm fine with carrying the MacBook Pro around with me. I just want the computer that will perform the best (fast).

Also, I already have a big external harddrive, so that isn't a concern either.

12. leman macrumors 604

I though double-posting was frown upon on these forums? You already asked this same question in the MBA forums. You know my opinion on this.

And in the end: look, its your computer, so its your decision. Running around and asking people for hundred's time 'which computer should i get?' will not help you. As I already said before: there are no pat answer. Both computers are more then capable for the tasks you intend to do. You have all the information, so just go out and pick one. Ultimately, you must be happy with your machine, not we.