Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoltan_egg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Hi guys,

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15": https://support.apple.com/kb/sp694?locale=en_GB

Long time ago I've put 16 Gb RAM. Recently, it started to slow down quite a lot, so considering upgrading with a 250Gb SDD Drive. My questions:

a) Do you reckon it is worth investing?
b) Or better get a newer version?

Apparently the 2012 tends to overheat quite a lot. Anybody has experienced this? What sort of upgrades/fixes would you recommend?

Apart from web browsing, I use Adobe quite a lot and occasionally do 3D models and some video renders.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Hi guys,

I have a 2012 Macbook Pro 15": https://support.apple.com/kb/sp694?locale=en_GB

Long time ago I've put 16 Gb RAM. Recently, it started to slow down quite a lot, so considering upgrading with a 250Gb SDD Drive. My questions:

a) Do you reckon it is worth investing?
b) Or better get a newer version?

If the computer still works and does everything you need it to do, you have the ability to upgrade so go ahead. If the newer model has some feature that you need, sell your 2012 and buy the newer model.

Apparently the 2012 tends to overheat quite a lot. Anybody has experienced this? What sort of upgrades/fixes would you recommend?

Apart from web browsing, I use Adobe quite a lot and occasionally do 3D models and some video renders.

Define "overheating." Is the computer crashing or locking up? Or is it just running hotter than you'd like?

Reactions: zoltan_egg

brewmonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2016
Yes, $90 for 850 EVO 250GB will make that laptop feel much newer than its model number suggests. I've done that on a few similar and everyone has been thrilled. The only thing I'd miss is the Retina display.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
See post above this one.

An SSD is relatively cheap and will completely transform the "feel" of the computer.

Installation takes only 15 minutes or so -- BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT TOOLS!

See ifixit.com for the installation guide.

You might also pick up a USB3 2.5" enclosure for the old drive.

TIP:
Things can go MUCH easier if you put the new SSD into the enclosure FIRST, and "prep and test" it that way.
Once you have the SSD set up as you like, and it's known to be booting and running fine, THEN "do the swap"...

zoltan_egg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
If the computer still works and does everything you need it to do, you have the ability to upgrade so go ahead. If the newer model has some feature that you need, sell your 2012 and buy the newer model.

Define "overheating." Is the computer crashing or locking up? Or is it just running hotter than you'd like?

Well, it does get quite hot and occasionally I can hear the fans going real loud and fast.
It takes a long time to go to sleep after closing the screen.
It does sometimes slow down as well.

A guy from my local mac service has mentioned that the 2012 model tends to overheat, so just wanted to confront with other users.
[doublepost=1468506847][/doublepost]
See post above this one.

An SSD is relatively cheap and will completely transform the "feel" of the computer.

Installation takes only 15 minutes or so -- BE SURE TO USE THE RIGHT TOOLS!

See ifixit.com for the installation guide.

You might also pick up a USB3 2.5" enclosure for the old drive.

TIP:
Things can go MUCH easier if you put the new SSD into the enclosure FIRST, and "prep and test" it that way.
Once you have the SSD set up as you like, and it's known to be booting and running fine, THEN "do the swap"...

Thanks Fishrrman, I'm actually planning to leave the old drive in for some files and place the new SSD instead of the CD-ROM to install the OS, Apps and most project files I work on.

Do you reckon setting it up myself would be fairly easy? The local shop charges quite a lot for this and heard it's not that difficult.
[doublepost=1468506926][/doublepost]
An SSD should get you a few more years out of it. I can see my 2011 with an SSD lasting until 2020.

Seriously, RichardC300? Would you be planning any other upgrades/fixes in the mean time to get the most out of your 2011 Mac?

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Well, it does get quite hot and occasionally I can hear the fans going real loud and fast.
It takes a long time to go to sleep after closing the screen.
It does sometimes slow down as well.

A guy from my local mac service has mentioned that the 2012 model tends to overheat, so just wanted to confront with other users.

I have a 2012 MacBook pro retina, that still runs amazingly well. the major difference (other than the screen) is that mine came with an SSD.

You will get 85% of the performance boost from the latest MacBook pros simply by adding an SSD. The IVY bridge CPU in your model is more than fast enough for today's applications.

If you were complaining about battery life on the other hand, then a new machine may be worth considering, as the latest models will get double the real world battery life you have with the 2012.

*edit* this is the drive you should buy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-in...id=1468507056&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+850+pro

Reactions: zoltan_egg

zoltan_egg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Yes, $90 for 850 EVO 250GB will make that laptop feel much newer than its model number suggests. I've done that on a few similar and everyone has been thrilled. The only thing I'd miss is the Retina display.

Thanks, brewmonkey. Samsung EVO 850 250Gb is exactly what I'm planning to get. Do you recommend any other upgrades/fixes or maintenance tips? I only recently discovered that need to regularly clean and put a new thermal paste. Do you guys do those yourself or better have the local shop do it for you?

In terms of Retina, I use a matte screen (with silver frame) anyway, as it makes long working way easier. Hope they'll still be available to get, as mine is already getting some white spots in the middle.
[doublepost=1468507255][/doublepost]
When is the last time you clean out the fans?

Probably 3 years ago. I know it's not helpful.
*edit*: I had the extended MacSupport and did send my Mac for a check up in 2015. Not sure if they cleaned the fans though.

[doublepost=1468507375][/doublepost]
I have a 2012 MacBook pro retina, that still runs amazingly well. the major difference (other than the screen) is that mine came with an SSD.

You will get 85% of the performance boost from the latest MacBook pros simply by adding an SSD. The IVY bridge CPU in your model is more than fast enough for today's applications.

If you were complaining about battery life on the other hand, then a new machine may be worth considering, as the latest models will get double the real world battery life you have with the 2012.

*edit* this is the drive you should buy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-in...id=1468507056&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+850+pro

Thanks wlossw, that's the drive I was recommended. I hardly ever use my Macbook in places with no sockets, so battery isn't an issue so far. I hope I'd be able to get a new one in a year or two. It seems that an SSD is the only thing I need now.

Last edited:

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Thanks, brewmonkey. Samsung EVO 850 250Gb is exactly what I'm planning to get. Do you recommend any other upgrades/fixes or maintenance tips? I only recently discovered that need to regularly clean and put a new thermal paste. Do you guys do those yourself or better have the local shop do it for you?

In terms of Retina, I use a matte screen (with silver frame) anyway, as it makes long working way easier. Hope they'll still be available to get, as mine is already getting some white spots in the middle.
[doublepost=1468507255][/doublepost]

Probably 3 years ago. I know it's not helpful.
[doublepost=1468507375][/doublepost]

Thanks wlossw, that's the drive I was recommended. I hardly ever use my Macbook in places with no sockets, so battery isn't an issue so far. I hope I'd be able to get a new one in a year or two. It seems that an SSD is the only thing I need now.

IF you can afford it get the 850 PRO instead of the 850 EVO. It's a better drive and more reliable.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Seriously, RichardC300? Would you be planning any other upgrades/fixes in the mean time to get the most out of your 2011 Mac?
Yup. Serious! I'll need a new battery sometime in the next year. I'm currently at 900-something cycles and ~75% capacity. But unless my GPU goes out, I see this thing lasting 4 years easy.

The only other upgrade I have other than the SSD is 8 GB of RAM, which keeps my memory pressure in the green for my purposes.

zoltan_egg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
Yup. Serious! I'll need a new battery sometime in the next year. I'm currently at 900-something cycles and ~75% capacity. But unless my GPU goes out, I see this thing lasting 4 years easy.

The only other upgrade I have other than the SSD is 8 GB of RAM, which keeps my memory pressure in the green for my purposes.

Thanks for mentioning the battery, RichardC300! I've just checked: I'm at 1333 cycles and the official data spread says my Mac cycle count limit is 1000. Do you reckon anything bad could happen if I don't replace ASAP?

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for mentioning the battery, RichardC300! I've just checked: I'm at 1333 cycles and the official data spread says my Mac cycle count limit is 1000. Do you reckon anything bad could happen if I don't replace ASAP?
If it isn't swelling (indicated by bulging trackpad), then I wouldn't say it's urgent. I don't think there's necessarily a "limit". Apple just guarantees 80% @ 1000 cycles during warranty period.

I have a Samsung 850 EVO, by the way. Can't recommend it enough! It's considered a mid-tier SSD, but you shouldn't have an issue with any recent budget SSDs either.

Reactions: tubeexperience

zoltan_egg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2016
If it isn't swelling (indicated by bulging trackpad), then I wouldn't say it's urgent. I don't think there's necessarily a "limit". Apple just guarantees 80% @ 1000 cycles during warranty period.

I have a Samsung 850 EVO, by the way. Can't recommend it enough! It's considered a mid-tier SSD, but you shouldn't have an issue with any recent budget SSDs either.

Wow, that sounds serious. Are you saying it's ok to wait until the trackpad starts bulging? Don't want any lasting damages.
Thanks, it seems I'd go for 850 EVO.

Reactions: MacInTO and wlossw

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Wow, that sounds serious. Are you saying it's ok to wait until the trackpad starts bulging? Don't want any lasting damages.
I've seen some serious bulges and some very slight ones. You're 400 cycles ahead of me, so it'd probably be a good idea to go ahead and replace it. lol. I've been looking at batteries recently, too. But haven't made a decision.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016

I clean my laptop myself. I clean the fans every 6 months and change the thermal paste every 18 months.

As for the battery, if it is not bulging, it's fine.

IF you can afford it get the 850 PRO instead of the 850 EVO. It's a better drive and more reliable.

I don't think the 850 PRO is worth it for the cost. Sure it has more write endurance and longer warranty, but SSD are getting cheaper by the day.

I wouldn't be too worry, but OWC has the replacement battery for $99.
https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/BAP15MBU78W/

Reactions: RichardC300

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011

Replace the battery before next year if you can. Once it reaches 5 years old, chances of Apple carrying replacement batteries will be greatly diminished.

If you don't care about having an Apple genuine battery, then don't worry about it. Replace it whenever the current one dies.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Replace the battery before next year if you can. Once it reaches 5 years old, chances of Apple carrying replacement batteries will be greatly diminished.

When Apple stopped replacing batteries for the older Retinas, it will be great news for third parties like me. :)

After all, what are the majority of the owners going to do? Unglue and replace the batteries themselves?

Nah. They pay me and other third parties! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.