2012 Macbook Pro (all) - First Scratch/Dent Stories

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by photosaurus, Jul 15, 2012.

1. photosaurus macrumors regular

Well, it happened... and it didn't take long. My brand new rMBP has been scratched!!!

How? My Siamese Cat. I placed my mb on the bed next to me, just near the edge. My cat decided it wanted on the bed, but failed to realize when jumping up that a slick mb surface awaited its front paws. I thought maybe they'd buff off if I rubbed hard enough, but nope. Real scratches, just above the lighted apple logo. Oh well, now I can stop caring so much. I'm free! :rolleyes:

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

And this is why you should buy a skin, case or sleeve. Anyways, that really sucks!

3. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

Mine had a small nick in the aluminum on the top left edge out of the box: I saw it as soon as I took off the plastic wrap. It's tiny, and the rMac look and works great otherwise. If I don't find any other issues, I'm not going to return it beause of both the wait times and the potential for more serious problems in rreplacement.

4. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

You can always buy a skin now to cover the scratch. Outta sight, outta mind :).

5. photosaurus, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

My cat just gave me an upgrade, that's all. I now have the "character" feature. They don't even offer it as an upgrade option when you buy it! It only cost me a couple of swear words, and 5 minutes of grief concealing.

Heh! A day late and a dollar short. I'm just going to accept my new feature. Maybe I could just scratch artwork into it that integrates the cat scratches... perhaps a portrait of my cat. Like a real macbook tattoo! I could start a business, or something... professional macbook tattoo artist.

If you can't tell, I'm still trying to get over it.

6. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Lol

7. photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah. Im the same way. Functionally, I've got a good one, so don't rock the boat. Besides that, morally, I wouldn't feel right about it anyway. My cat, however, will be getting far less petting from me today. She's in the "Dog House" with me. Not a good place for a cat to be.

8. JrJ 15 macrumors member

My rMBP came out of the box with a nick and another light scratch on the lid out of the box. Not worried as I am going to return it because it has a pressure mark on the display anyways. I was free as soon as I opened it! :(

9. ender land macrumors 6502a

My front edge has been slowly pitting over the past few years. No real scratches though, and, fortunately, I'm planning on keeping this 2010 laptop for quite a few more years :)

10. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Same, where I rest my palm on the right hand side. I wish the aluminium was a little more resistant to chemicals in your hand.

11. boto macrumors 6502

boto

If this makes you feel any better I am on my 4th rMBP due to defects on the trackpad, keyboard, backlight bleeding, and cosmetic damages. Each of the replacements I received had some sort of cosmetic damage, whether it was near the hinge of the display, sides of the ports, back side of the display, trackpad discoloring, and many others. My current model is still cosmetically damaged out of the box on the edge of the USB port and a small trackpad chip. After experiencing so many problems I just decided to keep the one I currently possess in fear of more cosmetic damages or a defective unit.

I've come to a conclusion that all rMBPs have some sort of cosmetic damage and backlight bleeding (Every single display I checked had at least a corner of backlight bleeding but the one I own is quite minimal).

12. ljx718 macrumors 6502

you have horrible luck. i bought 2 and they both came out perfect without light bleed or cosmetic damage

13. Tfb macrumors member

I don't think it counts as damage if it's by your cat. It's pure sentiment + conversation piece rolled into one. Sport it proudly and bond with other cat people. I love siamese cats.

14. windowstomac macrumors regular

Hope you don't mind me joining in - I recently got the first dent in my 2011 MBP by......dropping my iPhone on it. I was gutted.

15. Tfb macrumors member

The iPhone must have been jealous of the attention to your new toy!

16. photosaurus thread starter macrumors regular

LOL... So I guess we know now that the iPhone is tougher than the macbook pro.

She's in my lap right now, acting all innocent. But knowing Siamese cats, I have to suspect the scratches were no accident, but an act of pure Jealousy and an attempt to eliminate the lap competition.

Good grief! Maybe your vision is just too good? 20-5 in both eyes?

Is there something you can buy to wipe down the aluminum with to help prevent pitting? I keep hearing about this on the Forum.

Mine was perfect as far as I could tell.. before my cat got hold of it, anyway. Returning it would suck, as it would take weeks to get a new one!

17. 7even macrumors 6502a

That's nothing. I dropped one of my old MBPs straight down on concrete because I thought my case was zipped up when I picked it up. It landed with the back edge of the laptop to the ground and got a nice dent on either side. Thankfully it kept working until the top case got replaced under warranty like a year later for an unrelated issue :D

Needless to say, I never damaged my MBP again...

18. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

I got a cMBP Hi-res, and it came with a hairline scratch of about 1 cm in length kind of above and between the eject and f12 keys. I just had to scour the mbp with my face 2 inches away from the surface, wouldn't have noticed it if I didn't haha.

Either way, everything else is perfect. The screen is gorgeous with no dead pixels so I'm definitely keeping this bad boy.

19. MacGurl111 macrumors 65816

MacGurl111

I can't believe I'm participating in this thread..
    Today.. My daughter moved a chair and my laptop fell onto the floor, carpet. It made a small, tiny, little dent on the top (by the hinge) right side of the computer.:(:(

20. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

I nearly cried

I take extremely good care of my Apple products. Cleaning then about 2x a week.

One day I laid my MacBook Pro 13" 2011 model (8 months old, in flawless condition) next to my night stand before falling asleep. Welp my HTC Amaze was on the night stand and the alarm went off for me to wake up and I guess I had turned on the vibration mode during the alarm ringing and the phone vibrated off the night stand and onto my MacBook Pro. Instant dent thats decently noticeably.

Ha its small but it ruined my day. Later that day i bought a snap on case for the MBP however have since stopped using it bc of the bulk it adds.

Ill be getting a Retina Display MBP Soon and Ill refuse to let this happen to it.

21. FranksWildYears macrumors regular

I had a tiny chip out of the box which I got used to, but last night I fell asleep without putting it away and have find a tiny dink / chip on the front edge of the lid and a little scuff at the back.

I'm not sure how they got there, whether it was cats, children or my girlfriend putting it away to safety a bit hastily, but it's annoying. Need to control my bothersome OCD now!

Is it terrible that I now really hope it suffers some sort of catastrophic internal failure in the near future, making replacement essential?!

22. Simoquasimo macrumors member

My brand new rMBP got just dented by my girlfriend moving it on the table and hitting it to flower vase. Just a small dent in back corner but still annoying :D

23. marvz54 macrumors newbie

I rarely use my Macbook pro which i bought in 2010. Today after work I opened it only to find a deep cut on the right upper portion of the top
    case which is very visible to the eye. It is very annoying as Im quite OC with my personal things. I know I didnt bump it and I never even brought it outside the house. I only dont have this problem. Just recently some pinhole like scratches appeared on the topcase :(

24. JGF0x, Sep 2, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012

JGF0x macrumors member

*sigh* 45 days in with retina display MBP... Accidentally knocked it off my kitchen island while moving groceries. It'll now be tethered to my desk forever.

Attached Files:

25. marvz54 macrumors newbie

oh no! its quite bad. what do you plan to do with the damage?