2012 MacBook Pro for Photographers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SouthTexas, Feb 5, 2012.

1. SouthTexas macrumors newbie

Here is my situation friends. I currently own a 21.5" iMac for home photo editing (PhotoShop, Aperture, etc). I use an 11" MacBook Air for the same things when I travel.

Is it worth me getting a 15" or a 13" MacBook Pro with an external monitor, or do I have a more powerful current setup?

Also, if you do say MacBook Pro 13, I know I would like an external monitor. I don't think i would need one as bad for the 15.

Thanks in advance,

James

2. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Misread your post. Nevermind.

3. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

4. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

GO with 13" Ultimate - due to the performance of the 1.8Ghz chip and 4GB RAM 256GB SSD. However be VERY prepared to switch up to a rumored 15" MBA (no DVD) if that occurs.

the Hi-Resolution on the 15" is to die for.

5. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

is the 15" MBA a rumour or a dream? it'll be cool if they made the power button on the Air the same as the MBP, the one on Air seems cheap.

6. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Let me just say that the 15" MBA rumor is ridiculous, at least to me. It completely undermines the purpose of a laptop that large, which is the power and connectivity that the form factor allows.
    And let me say that the 13" laptops are not right for you. They're simply too weak. The 13" MBP might be tolerable because it can take up to 16GB RAM, but ultimately as you do more high-resolution work and enable OpenGL on Photoshop etc. the slow graphics will bog you down.
    I'd think the 15" MacBook Pro is just right for any photographer. Quad-core processor for the more CPU intensive processes, decent GPU for hardware acceleration, and powerful enough to entirely replace your iMac.
    Get a Thunderbolt display to go along with your MacBook. It's awesome.

7. dirtfan21 macrumors newbie

I have had the same idea and I pick up a used MacBook Pro 15" last week. Now a do all my work on it and Im a photographer using CS5.5With no problem. I looking to get a monitor.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I would think the 15in would have the better card. Plus if you are putting voice over videos, you wouldn't need an extra input like you would on 13in. 13in doesn't have separate in/out.

9. SouthTexas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you.

10. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I would probably go with the 13" Ultimate and External Monitor, unless you don't see a difference between Glossy and Anti-Glare with photos. Some do, some don't, but it's technically a lot better to edit photos on a non-glossy screen.

I would say 13" Macbook Pro otherwise.

I do photo editing and the setup I have is a 13" Macbook Pro, upgrade to 8gb of RAM, SSD, and a standard harddrive in the Optical Bay.

I use it on a dock connected to a 30" Apple Cinema Display. (Beautiful monitor, and is completely anti-glare.) It might seem big, but trust me. It shrinks. I almost feel like I could use more space now.

I think that set up is way way way nicer because no matter what, you have all of your files with you. You can edit something on your big screen (iMac replacement,) go somewhere, open your laptop and continue where you left off or have all your work with you. Instead of having some things done on the iMac, some things done on your laptop, and then have to interchange the files when needed. It's just really nice and convenient.