2012 MBP, osx question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stynger007, Dec 4, 2014.

1. stynger007 macrumors newbie

stynger007

Hi everyone, 2012 MBP a1278 i5, bought used and deleted recovery partition thinking to make a usb boot drive with Mountain Lion for a clean install.The mac will not install this osx, it begins, gray apple screen and shuts off. Tried same with Mavericks, same result. Both are confirmed to be install esd.Hard drive cable is fine, hard.drive and ram are fine.

These MBP's only have the recovery partition and no discs. I read somewhere that this machine comes with Lion that has proprietary drivers, and the machine would only accept a fresh install of Lion to get it up and running, then uprades could be made from there.Internet recovery does not work, says to restart application with same result each time.

I am downloading Lion on a separate mac now and plan to attempt reinstalling Lion from a Bootable usb. Will this work, have any of.you heard of this before? I searched and could not find any info here. Any and all input muchly appreciated, Thanks!

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Have you done a PRAM and SMC reset?

I have a 2011 MBP and can use self-created USB thumb drives to install my choice of ML, Mavericks, or Yosemite. Internet Recovery works for Lion.

How are you creating your installation media? The only method that's worked for me is through Terminal commands. Lion DiskMaker would seemingly create the USB drive and boot from it but would come back with a file corruption error shortly after starting the actual installation.

3. stynger007, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014

stynger007 thread starter macrumors newbie

stynger007

Thanks for the speedy reply.The 2011 and 2012 are different in that regard as far as i have read. I am using lion disk creator and yes I have reset SMC and PRAM. I have a hard drive with no recovery partition, and any attempt to install ML and Mavericks the machine shuts down, internet recovery does not complete. Is it possible that certain drivers proprietary to this machine are only found in a special build of Lion , similar to macbook air?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Usually you need the version that shipped with the Mac or later. According to MacTracker, that would be 10.7.4.

You should be able to directly install Mavericks or Yosemite, though. To create a bootable partition with those, you need to use either an app (I forget its name) or via command line to run the install app's createinstallmedia program (you can find directions here or several other support sites). The latest versions of those installers are available from the Mac App Store.

5. stynger007 thread starter macrumors newbie

stynger007

Thanks, have tried mavericks esd install from usb, ML esd install from usb, machine rejects everytime and ahuts down, internet osx install begins then loops to.say cannot continue. Cmd and s is now freezing before it is done..going to try Lion install esd and will report back..

6. stynger007 thread starter macrumors newbie

stynger007

7. stynger007 thread starter macrumors newbie

stynger007

In process of installing ML, hung at 19 minutes remaining for almost an hour, gonna wait it out.... what appears to be a coffee spill..the trackpad seemed to be sending erroneous signals during installation and i believe killed the install several times. Now disconnected and machine at least is in the install process.