2012 MBP, who's with me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dreamer2go, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

I have the 2007 SR Macbook Pros...
    after Penryn's update, it has more than 2 fingers multi touch gesture controls, I wasn't happy. (Coz my MBP only allows 2 fingers)
    Then came the new unibody design....... and the design is sexy.

In 2009, my Nvidia 8600M GT card finally blew up......I used this "warranty" to fix it. But the next time it breaks apart, I have to pay USD 800-1000 (i forgot) to fix it.
    Horrible.

The 2011 MBP made me salivate............. I like the new graphics card, the Thunderbolt I/O.
    But one thing is missing.... well two.

1) Redesign
    Look at the HP Envy's.......... they are like clones of MBP! And the "backlit" keyboard concept.

I think it needs a redesign. it's been here for 3+ years!

2) SSD
    SSD as default. I wanted to get the SSD drive in this 2011 MBP, but it's way too expensive!
    how about the MB Air concept? I wanted to see it transition to this MBP, but it didn't. The rumor of using separate 16GB SSD to boot was so creative a nice...

Now...
    I have to wait.
    Who's with me?

2. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Don't care about the look.

SSDs are pricey, would not expect it anytime soon.

3. prism macrumors 6502a

Not me, I sold my 15" SR (never had a problem with the GPU) early last year to get the 15" arrandale, enjoyed that almost a full year before selling it for a good price to try out the 13" Sandy. I will probably repeat this technique sometime next year!

4. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Unibodies were released in October 2008. That isn't even 2.5 years ago. Apple can't stop people from copying them, obviously, the unibody is an excellent design.

5. mark28, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

mark28 macrumors 68000

I'm definetly hoping for a redesign.

A Flash + HDD is something I'm hoping for too, because the MBP has only 1 Drive bay, hence a Flash + HDD is a perfect solution.

And I'm also looking for more battery life.

Hopefully next year Thunderbolt is more mainstream.

And hopefully Apple can put IPS displays in their notebooks too. :cool: Even the iPad and iPhone have IPS displays!!!!

6. rekhyt macrumors 65816

Redesign, better CPU and hard drive. Currently using a MBP Late 2008. Might get a MBA instead if it goes i5 though.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Apple generally tends to keep their designs for a while. I doubt you will see anything major in the foreseeable future.

8. Ulf1103 macrumors 6502

I'm with you...

I'm waitinng for the next MBP to buy the 17" version.
    But i'm hoping also for SSD standart and I hope it's here before 10/2011 but i think I'll need to wait for jan 2012 :(

But i'm hoping for 10/2011, then I'll have it before college starts :D

9. davie18 macrumors regular

Not really.

iMac got a new design in 2002, 2004, 2006 and slight design changes since then too.

iPhone - introduced in 2007, redesigned in 2010.

iPod nano has pretty much had a new design every year since it was released.

iPod shuffle - design has changed 3 times in 5 years.

While I don't think the MBP really needs a redesign as I still think it looks as good as when it was introduced, I think one will happen in 2012.

10. kushed macrumors regular

why not just buy a decently upgraded 2011 notebook and resell it before the 2012s? i think thats what 90% of this forum does and its not a bad idea.. if you can afford to shovel out an extra 500 every year, which isnt that bad to have the fastest notebook on the market... honestly

11. daneoni, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You left out the PowerBook/MacBook Pro, PowerMac/Mac Pro design as well as the mini. They were/have been around for quite a while. Also the real iMac redesigns where from CRT/Plastic to LCD/Plastic and Plastic to Aluminium Unibody and it has effectively looked the same since. With the exception of the lamp design.

As for the OP SSD default is definitely not happening in 2012. Cheaper BTO options...maybe.

12. TxdoHawk macrumors member

Even more than that, major redesigns usually = new issues to work out.

13. Usquebaugh macrumors newbie

This. The unibody design is fantastic, and is a tried and tested form factor. I personally don't see anything dated about it. Apple I'm sure has a rigid QA process, but each time a new design comes out, it seems like it takes a little while to fully come to terms with.

I'm moving from my 2007 C2D to the new releases. The power is great and the unibody isn't going out of style anytime soon. They already do everything I need my computer to do and then some.

14. bigjobby macrumors 65816

2012 MBP, who's with me?

Not me.

Brilliant and classic designs often last for many, many years and I'm very much happy with the current unibody.

I'd prefer not to have SSD as standard because its still too expensive and they do not have anywhere near enough capacity for my use. The cost/benefits simply do not add up for me.

15. Tabris82 macrumors member

Tabris82

+1

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'm totally not with you on the re design. It's a good design and unless they have a practical reason for changing it, why change what works well? Change for change's sake may easily mean you end up with something worse. If it works well and there's no *real* reason to change it (just to be different from other computers is not a *real* reason, computers aren't fashion accessories), then don't change it (and I mean I'd even admit looks is a nice thing to have, but solely to be different and not even cause it's ugly is a stupid reason imho).

As for the SSD, I'm with you as long as it provides decent amount of hard drive and doesn't increase the price. It doesn't seem SSDs are really there yet price wise or size wise to really be able to add one and meet those criteria.

17. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

I like some of the ideas, but here is what I think is realistic.

Redesign for sure, but hopefully not to much - the build quality is fantastic with the unibody machines, but perhaps a black option? That would be my perfect mac. =P

Second, I think they will keep the HDD as default until SSD's prices will come down, and capacity can go up. If they offered a 500GB SSD for similar the price of a HDD, then that would be ideal, but right now, that's not happening.

Third: People complaining about the Optical drive. First of all, that is one reason this isn't an Air! It's a pro, and very often professionals need to use dvd's and cd's. I think we are more likely to see the pro line up shift to blu-ray. That would be ideal. You don't want a drive, get an air. :eek:

The only other thing I would like to see in the pro lineup is a matte screen option for the same price, and perhaps a couple more USB (need to be 3.0) ports! I use more than 2 often, and it's a pain to unplug and replug every time...

My 2cents.