2013-2014 NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AustinIllini, Oct 31, 2013.

1. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

So much for that Derrick Rose comback...:(

Time for basketball! Discuss!

2. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'll chalk up Rose's performance to a little rust, maybe a little nerves and over excitment, a hostile challenging environment in MIA, a great defense in MIA, and a lack of production from the supporting cast. His quickness is there, his explosiveness is there...he's going to be fine. :)

Clippers are overrated, aaaagain.

Lakers are a little underrated. I don't *like* them and they aren't going to contend for a title, but I don't think they'll be bottom dwellers like some are expecting. I think they'll squeak into the playoffs.

Being an OKC fan and KD being my favorite player and arguably favorite athlete in all of sports...I'm very nervous for this season. It is going to be a tough road with Westbrook. Who knows when he'll be back and how healthy he'll be. And the lack of that 3rd scoring threat in the lineup is a major issue.

I'm curious to see how "cusp" teams like CHI, IND, and GS follow up this year after last year's entertaining playoff performances.

I think HOU will make some noise. A smaller market like HOU compared to LA is a MUCH better fit for DHoward. Not to mention he just cannot play with a pusher and driver like Kobe. I think he'll pair well with Harden, Lin, and Beverly.

Also curious to see how SA fares. I don't know that they will ever get over that game 6 loss last year. Having said that, they're incredibly experienced, they still have their core lineup in tact, younger guys got some big experience last year in the playoffs, Duncan is in great shape. They're always a quiet contender...should be interesting.

If Wade stays healthy, Heat win it all again. :mad:

3. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I think you're right. He looked good in the preseason.

They'll make the second round of the playoffs maybe, but really nothing special here.

They won't win it all under DAntoni (or with this team), but D'Antoni can get you to the playoffs every year.

Much like the last couple of Bulls teams, OKC is at risk (IMO) of missing their boat. The Bulls were better in 2011. The next year, Rose got hurt, missed all of the following season, and now they are not improving.

Chicago is going backwards, IMO. Thibodeau overplays Deng, Noah and their injuries will be brutal by the postseason.

I think Indiana is the Eastern Conference team with enough to beat the heat in a best of seven series.

Golden State enters a tough log jam at the top of the west. Their chances are okay, but we'll see if they can win multiple series in the west.

They look better with him, but I'm not sure they're championship good. I'm pretty certain Miami would destroy Houston.

They're the Spurs and they're professionals. I would expect them to come back and get back to winning.

They probably don't even need Wade at this point. Lebron is Jordan good now.

4. sdilley14, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013

sdilley14 macrumors 65816

^^^ All facts!

I think the Sixers are racing for the bottom. With Nerlens Noel expected to be out all year, the terrible lineup they have intact now, and the draft class coming up...I think they very well might be the team that had the GM that recently admitted they are tanking this year. That franchise is such a mess. They paid Andrew Bynum $15mil last year and got exactly ZERO minutes of playing time out of him. I think I can name maybe one guy on their active roster at this point? Igudola.

5. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Sadly, I think you're right. Their best shot was 2 years ago, meeting the Heat in the Finals. I truly thought they had the better team that year. I really thought they were going to win. Then Harden straight up went ghost in the Finals. :S I think you're right in saying they had a small window and they missed it. Unfortunately I don't know that KD will ever get a ring playing in OKC.

I saw an article where Jalen Rose predicted he would go to HOU when he becomes a FA in 2016. The prospect of him teaming back up with Harden, playing alongside Howard, and Lebron maaaaaybe starting to show a little wear/tear at that point...it's an interesting prospect, albeit a long shot.

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Random thoughts:

Rose is still rusty, but the major issue is that they need another shooter/scorer on the team. Boozer played very well and they can't just rely on him and Rose. Butler was playing well also, but he got into foul trouble way too early.

There is a very slim chance that the Bulls can win a championship, especially because Miami is such a well-formed team. Almost everyone can score and defend well. Norris Cole has really improved his game. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts in front of Chalmers soon.

KD dropped 42 last night. He will be unstoppable this season. Mark my words. They won't make it to the finals though. I still think it will be a repeat of SAS and MIA. OKC lost their shot at a title and they solidified that by trading away Harden and getting nothing in return.

Dwight Howard played like the superstar he is. What a fantastic showing. The Harden/D12 combo will be entertaining to watch.

7. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Some of my thoughts:

- Rose is a bit rusty, not as rusty as his first preseason game, but he did get picked by Chalmers on the first possession. Nevertheless, with a healthy cast (and perhaps a trade) they can go to the finals.

- As a Celtics fan, we are doomed this season. The best I can hope for is under 27 games and a high lottery pick and some trades in the midseason to unload our guards and PFs. Then maybe a blockbuster trade next season.

- I hope Indiana or Chicago can make it to the finals. I really don't want to see a three-peat by Miami, or a 1 minute Lebron commercial for that matter... Seriously though. On opening night against the Bulls, he must have had at least 3 1 minute commercials: Beats, Nike and Samsung.

- Clippers and Rockets are overrated.

- I hope the Spurs can make it back to the finals again.

- OKC probably lost their chance at winning the title for a while.

- I hope the Nets get eliminated in the first round and never make it to the semi-finals.

- Kyrie Irving dominates and carries the Cavs! The past seasons he wouldn't get many assists, because of his teammates, but he has a respectable team this year. Speaking of the Cavs, I can't believe Bynum actually played.

76ers beat the Heat and the Nets lost to the Cavs last night! YES!

8. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I really hope this doesn't happen. The lack of parity in the NBA at this point is just sad. Hockey and Football are so much better for small markets because (almost) every team is in it every year. Even though I cheer for a large market, I really loathe the idea of four or five superteams and then a league of average talent.

9. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I thought he looked pretty good, myself. Maybe pressing a little, and a low FG%, but he was moving well and that is a good sign for Chicago. He's one of my favorite players to watch.

Disagree. I know they lost to a Lakers squad of nobodies, but they will contend this year. Doc Rivers is a fantastic coach, and they have the talent. One game doesn't say much.

If they sneak into the 8th seed, that would be awesome from my perspective. No title and a crap draft pick. Hehe. I hope it happens.

God I hope not. :rolleyes:

At this risk of blaspheming, I am rooting for my beloved Celtics to pile up the losses this season so we have a shot at an impact player in the draft (Andrew Wiggins please!). Philadelphia needs to go away and win some games! It's tough watching Doc coach LA and Pierce and Garnett play for Brooklyn though, not going to lie. :(

10. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The lottery makes this a risky deal. Remember the Oden draft where the C's tried the same thing? Instead they assembled the first big 3. I wouldn't expect Boston to be down for very long.

11. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I can't agree with you there. I think both the Clips and Doc are overrated. Doc is a good coach, yes, but there is no way the Clippers will go all the way to the finals. I actually wanted Doc to leave the Celtics. I couldn't stand his stubbornness, his rotations, his inability to adjust his lineup, his final plays (which are just Pierce ISO's), favoring his vets, playing his SGs like Ray Allen after he left... It was frustrating to watch.
    Needless to say, I'm excited about what Stevens will do.

12. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Agreed. I think Doc is a top 5 coach, but not GREAT. I also think Blake is HIGHLY overrated. I'm not sold on Deandre Jordan really, JJ Reddick is a nice perimeter shooter but should be more of a 6th man than a starter IMO. CP is the truth though, I'll admit that, and Jamal Crawford can be huge off the bench.

13. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Who are your top five coaches?

Pop
    Thibodeau
    Spoelstra
    Doc
    Vogel?

14. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

You really think the Clips are overrated? They won the Pacific last year with Vinny Del Negro for god's sake. He's terrible. I think they have an incredibly talented team and I like what they did in the offseason with JJ Redick and Jared Dudley. I mean, we'll see, but Doc Rivers is a much better coach and this team has another year of experience together. I'm not crowning them Western Champs just yet, but they certainly have a good shot imo.

Doc obviously wasn't a good fit for the Celtics moving forward, but that's not really groundbreaking news. He's a guy that can get the most of veterans. Younger guys are not his strength, and the Celtics are now chock full of them. I'm excited about Brad Stevens too, but the Celtics badly need some legitimate first round draft talent.

15. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Oh I agree with that. I would rather see a competitive league overall rather than a handful of "super teams". I absolutely hated what the Heat did with assembling the "big 3" and hated what the Knicks did even more bringing in Amare and Carmelo (mostly because those are two of my most hated players in all of sports). BUT, being a KD fan, I just don't want to see him flounder and scratch the surface on a small market team his whole career, trying to carry a whole team on his back, always coming up just short.

For whatever reason, the Celtics assembling their "big 3" never really bothered me, even though it is the same principle as the Heat and Knicks. I was a big Ray fan so that probably had something to do with my acceptance of that.

16. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Top 5 is still loads better than what they had, and they got beat by a better Memphis team last year. Even if you're bullish on the Clippers, they will do better than last year by virtue of not having Billups/Butler hurt all year and having a competent coach.

----------

I feel the same exact way, and I also cheer for a large market team. It's very boring to watch as a fan. Which is why Golden State was so exciting last year.

17. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Any coach is better than Del Negro. Two wasted years of Derrick Rose under his nonsense.

----------

It didn't feel like player collusion, so I was okay with it. Lebron, Wade, and Bosh were like "let's fix the league and win a bunch of championships", whereas the Boston organization brought together these players.

18. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I'll go 6...

Pop
    Spoelstra
    D'Antoni
    Thib
    Mike Brown
    Carlisle

----------

Yes! Exactly. I saw the Heat, just like I saw the Knicks...players calling/texting each other in the offseason, "Hey, I wanna get a ring. You wanna get a ring? Well, we CAN'T do it alone. Wanna team up and get one??" Something about that approach as opposed to GMs/owners constructing and developing a competitive team, really rubs me the wrong way.

19. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

So the Heat signed Bosh and James, while they Celtics traded for Allen and Garnett, who had to approve the deals, and sign extensions? Why is there such a difference there? Pierce admitted that he needed help, and the Celtics went out and got him help, so I dont see that big of a difference.

20. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Pop and Thibs are my top two, but there is no way Dan Tony makes my top 5. :p

21. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's collusion, essentially. Trades are entirely different than free agents piling up together in like 3 locations - every team has a chance to make trades to better themselves, but not every team has a chance to have buddies decide to sign there together.

It makes the NBA unfun to watch unless you happen to root for the lucky 3-4 franchises that are likely destinations for this type of shenanigans.

22. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Agreed. They're completely different. When you get traded, your team comes to you and says, "you can go here if you sign an extension" . Of course they're going to sign and go to Boston. Meanwhile, a few summers later, Bosh and Wade meet at a restaurant in Chicago and plan out how they're all going work together to handicap the championship. General managers have no reason to collude to get each other to win championships, and now that players are doing it, the integrity of the game suffers.

23. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Players cant go out to dinner? Players always talk amongst each other, and to think only the Heats big 3 were the only 3 to ever talk about playing together, is ridiculous. Bosh and Wade were two friends, who not only were free agents at the time, but also with the same agency, so I dont see the problem with them talking about their futures. Nobody knows exactly when this whole thing transpired, and nobody ever will. They were all out of the same draft class, became friends, with LeBron and Wade being very close, so again, I dont see it as a problem. Granted, Ive been a Heat fan since inception. And nobody can say that they knew this was going to happen for a while before they signed, because while Riley was getting everything in order to secure the cap space in 2010, other teams were doing the same, because of the amount of talent available that summer.

24. AustinIllini thread starter macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Right, so the Heat fan is in favor of player collusion. The game was so much better when teams hated each other. Now it's like four teams assemble a team of two superstars and nobody then draw terrible fouls in the playoffs and win championships.

I love the NBA, but the parity needs to come back. It would be horrible to be a New Orleans fan at this point. Charlotte? Yeah, you're never getting anyone. Minnesota and Milwaukee have no shot ever winning an NBA championship. Good luck, Cleveland! Your savior left for a beach house to fix the NBA!

It's really too bad it has to be that way. You know when Lebron is ready to potentially move on, it's going to be LA if not Miami. A bunch of veteran players will take big pay cuts to be with him. To me, that hurts the competitive nature of the game.

25. The.316 macrumors 65816

The.316

Im not in favor of it, since I like competition, but if my teams GM puts us in position to add a couple of superstars, I should be against it? So Rockets fans should have petitioned the team to not go after Howard? When was the last time a team one a title with one star player, and a bunch of nobodies? LeBron almost did it with the Cavs, but he had absolutely no help, and got killed by the Spurs.

The city and the team go hand in hand in regards to parity. If you have the Bucks for example, trying to sign the same player the Heat, for example, are, at the same contract amount, which team is that player going to pick? NOBODY wanted to play with LeBron in Cleveland, that was a well known fact. Have you been to Cleveland? I wouldnt want to be a professional player on a long term deal there. He didnt go to Miami to "fix the NBA," he went there because that was the best opportunity for him, and his family. Which is what every free agent looks for.

LeBron is not going to LA, lets get that out on the table. LeBron will either stay with Miami, or go back to Cleveland, that is all. My money is on Miami, because they have the best president/GM in the game, works well with Spoelstra, and the team will be able to retool around his needs.

And you keep bringing up collusion? Where is the collusion? Were you with these three players when they talked about joining the Heat? Bosh and Wade were meeting together when they were both free agents, so I dont see any collusion there.