2013 iMac 27" BTO w/ Dead Pixels

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Johnf1285, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Hi Everyone,

Had this BTO 27" iMac for about 3 days now. Just noticed two dead pixels in the center of the screen and one on the top left. Looks like I will be playing the exchange/return lottery now... Lets hope it works out.

:eek:

2. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Just pretend you're at your Aunt's house using her iMac and you're only going to be there for another two weeks. Two weeks from now if you still want to replace the computer, go ahead.

Most displays have some dead pixels.

Most people don't search for them intensely enough to find them.

Hence the rate of reported dead pixels is about 1:100 the actual occurrence.

3. Johnf1285, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Hmm very true very true. I am too OCD though thats my issue! :(

Although you're right. I can barely notice them when I do look for them. And when I sit at a normal spot - I don't see them whatsoever.

Oh what to do what to do... I bet if I swapped it out, I would get some yellow screen or something else.

4. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Exactly. If you just use the computer it's not an issue. I've gotten displays over the years where I noticed a stuck pixel or two, and I was annoyed for a day, and then I forgot about it completely.

5. Nirurin macrumors member

I am also pretty OCD about things like this... if they were in the centre of the screen, I would be unable to live with it at all.

To be honest, the only reason I consider an iMac as a purchase for the huge amount of money they charge, is because I expect it to be perfect (and buying an equivalent 1440p Dell or Asus monitor is a pot-luck experience).

When I recieve my iMac, I will be returning it if there are any flaws at all, until I get one that is worth the money I'm paying.

We will be living with it every day for a few years remember!

Edit: I will add that I mean *noticable* flaws. If there is a dead pixel, but it is totally unseeable, then I may not return it... though if its unseeable, I wouldnt notice it in the first place lol

6. bluescale macrumors member

Dead pixels in the center of the screen? I don't think I could live with that.

7. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Yeah I am 90% certain it'll be dropped off to Fedex or who ever tomorrow once I call Apple.

8. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Try my two week Aunt thing first! I'm telling you!

9. Johnf1285, Oct 5, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013

Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

So upon further inspection it seems to be some sort of dust or debris, not a pixel issue. It *may* be barely visible at times due to the light refracting and reflecting off the glass, but when I look at it closely from various angles, it can be very difficult to see and at times not even visible. In my past experience (one example, my first 20" aluminum late 2007 iMac), dead/stuck pixels are viewable from all angles. Changes color too a bit when moving my head.

My wife says keep it and move on with my life haha.

I think I may just refund it entirely and hold off another year, I don't know if I want to go through the whole returning and re-order processes a few times (or once, if I am lucky).

10. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Decided to box it up and return for a full refund. I am going to hold off for now - maybe next year I'll make that jump to a 27".

Going to hang onto my late 2012 21.5" for now! (it luckily has a flawless screen *knock on wood*)

Thanks for the input and listening to my rantings and ravings!

11. Serban Suspended

No dead pixel that is for sure. Like you said a dead pixel is view from any angle

12. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Yup. It had a total of 3 specs of dust. These 3 "stuck/dead pixels" I thought I had were twinkling whenever I shifted angles, leading me to believe that it is dust that got behind the glass as it was glued together. Oh well - live and learn? Sort of sucks, then again, the average consumer isn't staring at every inch of their display with a white background for 30 minutes purposely looking for something wrong.

13. Serban Suspended

so how long you will be waiting? what config?

14. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

The model I ordered:

• 27"
    • i7
    • 780m
    • 512 flash

Shipping it back this week. Unsure what I will do next..

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well you could've simply exchanged it. Sounds extreme to return it and get a full refund. Not going to do you a bit of good waiting until next year. Dead/Stuck pixels are commonplace with LCD panels. Many times you can get one without them. Seems more like you just had buyer's remorse with the entire machine.

16. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Not so much buyer's remorse than buyer's anger LOL

I am going to re-explore exchanging but with minimal downtime. When I called Apple before, the man on the phone was polite but not very helpful. Basically said return it and then reorder it. That will impact productivity without having the larger screen and faster machine to work on for 2 weeks (then again I made it this far without it?)

I started a new thread on some advice with this exchange process to have minimal down time. Hopefully I can gain some more insight.

Thanks everyone.

17. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

I'm amazed you actually sent it back because of something that exists in half the machines out there.

18. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I know. My other half thinks I am crazy.

19. td2243 macrumors 6502

Are you kidding me? 3 days and dead pixels? Take it back for another. For the money these things cost, it needs to work perfectly while Applecare is still applicable.

20. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

I would have done the same by returning or having it exchanged while the opportunity is still there. I would not want to have regrets later on why I didn't go for it.

21. buster84 macrumors 6502

I agree, Although if it was me i would have waited. If this happens to my Imac I'll wait till the end of my applecare to take it in. Then if they screw up or don't produce the screens anymore you get a free upgrade!

Those 3 tiny pixels gave you a "FREE" replacement/upgrade years down the road. Most people go through the full 3 years without 1 issue, but you had a free pass. Sucks to have thrown that away so soon, but i guess if you have OCD I can only imagine the need for it to be fixed, so in your case it needed to be done.

22. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

I see your point. I may have went this route if something happened or was noticed after the initial 14 days.

----------

Also upon closer inspection they're not dead pixels but some sort of debris between the screen and glass. Slightly larger and producing different colors at different angles.

23. td2243 macrumors 6502

WOW! Good to know! thanks

24. buster84 macrumors 6502

Haha, i also know about OCD and how difficult it is to live with. I have partial OCD with some things, like cleaning, cars, being on time ect... but not really with electronics. I actually have a $2500 projector that i bought last year from epson that has 3 dead pixels on it. I could easily get a replacement but since i have 2 years on the warranty i decided to wait till the second to last month since I'll end up with new bulb when doing so. That'll save me $300 right their lol. If i was OCD about my electronics they would have to be perfect as well and as you know you cant put a price on the acceptance of irritability, so it must be fix right away.

25. Johnf1285 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Yup! Sounds like we can relate - although I am always late haha. I am OCD with my electronics, major purchases, and cleaning (but by no means am I a neat freak - it's hard to explain ;) ).

You should've seen me after my new car had a rock chip in the windshield after owning it for less than a week!! :eek: