2013 iMac owners....anyone going to upgrade internals?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by KOTULCN, Sep 29, 2013.

1. KOTULCN macrumors 6502

I'm waiting on my base model 27" to get here, hopefully tomorrow. Anyway are any of you that have purchased the new iteration going to crack it open and upgrade anything? I want to either add a PCIe flash module or install an SSD to run alongside the 1tb HDD but I haven't seen anyone attempt this yet.

2. Bear macrumors G3

I suspect it will be similar to opening up the late 2012 model.

Remember that doing this will void your warranty. All that I plan on installing myself when I get a new iMac is memory.

3. leman macrumors 604

Why didn't you just order the iMac with the SSD? Its not like you are really saving money by doing it yourself anyway, but you are taking a risk. Not to mention voiding the warranty. Its really not difficult to open the iMac, but resealing it can be a bit tricky...

4. Mixpower macrumors member

Mixpower

I just don't get it why they don't offer the 256Gb SSD + 1/2Tb harddrive anymore.

The space is there otherwise there wouldn't be a Fusion Drive,
    i choose the 256Gb SSD only now and will buy a thunderbolt Harrdrive.

Would be great to add a 3,5 hdd inside but will void warranty!

5. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

I really didn't get a choice on upgrades as the iMac is a replacement because Apple store repair tech screwed up my 2010 iMac when they were replacing a defective LCD.

Attached Files:

6. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

Another view

Attached Files:

7. in4fun, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

in4fun macrumors regular

Not me, but those guys can show you how...

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+27-Inch+EMC+2639+Teardown/17828/1

[​IMG]

just to summarize:

8. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Everything except RAM will require pulling the display glass/lcd off.

10. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand that but will the logic board have to be removed? What cables will be required, etc.

11. bluescale macrumors member

Here's a video of a greek lady in green velour pants swapping out the HDD for an SSD in the 2012 iMac. it seems pretty straight forward, and probably almost identical to the 2013 iMac. The benefit you'll see in the 2013 is that it'll come with 2 PCIe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06H3OldrteY

Honestly, this looks a bit easier than getting into my 2006 iMac. Some of the screws on my 2006 machine were horribly difficult to get (especially when it was time to put it back together) and the innards were a bit of a mess. Based on this and what I've read, you simply pop off the screen, and have easy access to everything inside. No need to remove the motherboard.

Hope that helps.

12. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

From the pictures available it looks like the SATA & PCIe connections are on the back of logic board. Will adding a second drive require a power cable/Y cable?

13. bluescale macrumors member

To answer some of this, we'll have to wait until someone does a detailed upgrade video or blog post with pictures. If you were just swapping out drives, I think it'd be really straight forward. I'm not sure if the second slot is already cabled (probably not), or how hard it is to get to that slot.

Have you considered buying a USB3 or TB external enclosure, dropping an SSD in there, and then using that as your boot drive? I know it sounds like a hassle, but a friend of mine is doing that with his 2012 iMac, and the machine is incredibly fast. As fast as any PC with an SSD I've ever used. Throughput on USB3 is so fast, I doubt you'd be able to tell you were running off an external. That way, you could at least keep it in tact until your warranty runs out (assuming they are giving you a new warranty on a replacement computer).

14. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes I've been thinking about throwing my Samsung 830 in an external enclosure if I can find a decent one. The new iMac will have a new warranty on it.

15. bluescale macrumors member

16. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

17. II BISTRO II macrumors member

i am planing on it as soon as i figure out everything i need
    looking to swap out the hdd with an sad.. need to know if its plug and play or if i need a converter
    also need a mounting bracket

18. bluescale macrumors member

Since you'll be connecting via USB3, there's no functional benefit to the Mercury Elite Pro. The extra $35 buys you a nicer case and the ability to use the eSATA connection if you ever get a machine that has an eSATA port. And functionally, I don't think you'd even notice the speed difference between eSATA and USB3.

19. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

20. bluescale macrumors member

They are both bus powered.

You can purchase a separate dc power adapter for the Elite Pro mini, but it's not included.

21. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

What cheap bastards! I'd still go with the optional external power for the same reason I stated earlier.

22. KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

Just received this enclosure today. First impressions are man is this thing cheap, your disk doesn't even get secured to anything except the sata port. I do not recommend this enclosure for that reason alone. Speeds increased over USB 2 although I didn't take a screenshot of speed test and definitely over internal spindle drive.

Internal drive 1tb WD HDD:

[​IMG]

Samsung 830 256gb SSD in OWC USB 3 enclosure:

[​IMG]

23. buster84 macrumors 6502

Sounds like you got a hella of a deal then. Free upgrade! :D

If you dont want to open up your new Imac to keep the warranty in tact (you never know if you'll need to return it like you already did with your old one). This lacie external case works on the thunderbolt so you get very fast speeds. You can even boot from the Lacie if you program the OS for it. I'd take this route if you care about your warranty. If not you can always do it yourself.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Lacie/9000186/

24. KOTULCN, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

KOTULCN thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you use standard 2.5" sata drives with this?

25. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil