2013 MacBook Air 11 base $500. Buy or no?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Baconhall, May 1, 2014.

  1. Baconhall macrumors newbie

    May 1, 2014
    Bestbuy is currently selling the base 11inch for $799. With student discount ($150 off) and my $150 best buy gift card, I can get one for about $500. I'm a college student and plan on taking it to school everyday. Is it worth it? Should I wait for the retina MacBook Air?
  2. Nee412 macrumors 6502

    Jun 25, 2010
    Sunny England!
    If it meets the specs you need then yes, it is 100% worth it! The 2013 is a very good machine and a steal at $500!
  3. kramjam, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014

    kramjam macrumors 6502


    Feb 3, 2008
    The Best Buy deal is really solid, today I went with the 13" MBA and planning on using it until I see what a rMBA will look like against updated Broadwell rMBPs. I work in an environment everyday where I see the 11" MBAs next to a 13" and it's really hard for me to recommend the 11" - something to me just feels off, but that's my opinion. Pull the trigger on either though!
  4. gnasher729 macrumors P6


    Nov 25, 2005
    Nobody knows if there will ever be a Retina MacBook Air. Apple just updated the MBA and reduced the price from $999 to $899, so Bestbuy probably offers the previous model for $100 less than the current model (and for $200 less than the previous model a week ago). For $650, it's a steal. (Hope you realise that you are paying $650, not $500).
  5. MrGimper macrumors 603


    Sep 22, 2012
    Andover, UK
    OP says they have a $150 student discount and $150 Best Buy gift card. That makes it $500.
  6. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816


    Apr 5, 2012
    Adrift in a sea of possibilities
    The $150 gift card is cash. Even if someone gave him the card, it's money. He's paying $650 for the thing after his student discount.
  7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020


    Aug 6, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Quibbling :rolleyes:
  8. MTL18 macrumors regular

    Jan 25, 2013
    One question you need to answer

    1) How important is saving money in this? Retina will be a lot more than $799.99
    Very important: Do not wait, you can't afford it.
    Not important: Do not wait, and sell this one to buy the new one!

    In general, this is a rumour that has yet to see a single part leak out. At this point, no one knows if it even exists. You could wait 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 3 years, etc...
  9. Knowimagination macrumors 68000


    Apr 6, 2010
    I am in the same boat OP strongly considering the 13.3" inch for $750 after the discount. I could get the newer model with the 1.4 processor for an extra $100 but I am not convinced if it is worth it.
  10. rmhop81 macrumors 68020


    Apr 4, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Hope you realize you were wrong :)
  11. Baconhall thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 1, 2014
    This will be my secondary computer so saving is pretty important. This secondary computer will probably take a beating since i will bring it to school everyday. how much do you think i can sell it for in 6months?
  12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

    Cheffy Dave

    Feb 5, 2007
    Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I just don't know if the 11" and the 13" are going away and will never see aRetina Screen, maybe only the 12", sad,so sad:( My Fav is the 11",) I'd hate to see it go away, without EVERY seeing a Retina Screen!

    WRONG, JUST WRONG, IMO, APPLE, owes it to the 11"
  13. Baconhall thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 1, 2014
    Yea. I rather save $100 than have a .1 GHz increase. Plus the additional discount.
  14. Meister Suspended


    Oct 10, 2013
  15. Darthpnoy88 macrumors newbie

    Oct 18, 2012
    I personally jumped on the gun myself apparently my school edu was still active and got the 11 inch Air for 650 before tax not a bad deal.
  16. sofakng macrumors regular

    Dec 5, 2008
    I'm wondering the same thing myself.

    I want something just for the couch and the 11" felt a bit small but for $650 that's an extremely good deal...
  17. Darthpnoy88 macrumors newbie

    Oct 18, 2012
    I had a 13 inch HP DV4 in the past going to 11 inch Air didn't really see a huge difference but definitely the portability factor it fits in a nice messenger bag helps.
  18. ItHurtsWhenIP macrumors 6502

    Aug 20, 2013
    I decided to order one for $650 ($690 after tax)...I figure if it's too much or an unnecessary sibling to an i7/256/8gb 13" model then I have 15 days to return it. I figured for a little more than an upgraded iPad with a case and maybe keyboard, this might make a little more sense for travel and taking to school if need be.

    For $500, I'd be even quicker to at least give it a shot..again, returning it is easy and you get, what I believe to be, enough time to know whether or not it's right for your situation or not.
  19. Knowimagination macrumors 68000


    Apr 6, 2010
    You can get the 13" for $750 which is an equally good deal. In fact that is what I ended up doing today, and I couldn't be happier. It feels like lightning compared to my mid 2007 iMac that it is replacing.
  20. bevo macrumors regular

    Jul 19, 2002
    Had a similar choice, debated about it for 2 days. Had been eying a keyboard for my ipad. Decided a full laptop would be the better investment, so trying to sell my ipad now.

    Been using the macbook air at work at all day. Loving it. Only complaint is about the wifi disconnecting whenever the computer gets into sleep mode or disables the screen. Been playing around the power savings modes all day. All disabled.

    I got an older mbp 13 2010 at home, its a solid laptop, but at 4-5 lbs, you feel it more. Can hardly tell the weight difference of this laptop compared to the old ipad.

    I chose the 13" over the 11" for several reasons. Typing, more room to rest your palm on the 13". Battery life is better on the 13". I believe the 13" also is the only one with the SDXC card. I picked up a PNY StorEDGE 128 gb card on amazon for $65 today. Easy way to double storage. Granted not the same as getting a 256 gb HD internally. But its not my main computer. Hopefully I can add a 240 or 480 HD myself in the future (once released).

Share This Page