2013 macbook air redesign

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MR.BUTTON, Aug 16, 2012.

1. MR.BUTTON, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

MR.BUTTON macrumors member

hi folks,
    the current design macbook air has been around for 2 years, and 3 incremental improve versions are released. it's time for apple to reclaim they can make the best of the best in these so called "ultrabooks".

so... what do u guys expect?

edit: the original design lasted for only 2 years.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The Retina MacBook Pro is a take on the ultra book concept. Not to mention, the MacBook Air can be considered the father of all Ultrabooks.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The basic shape isn't going to change anytime soon.

4. Wokis macrumors regular

I see no practical reason as to why they'd change anything.

5. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I expect a 13" RMBP but not a new Air anytime soon. I think the next improvements will be more storage space, better cameras and new features like built in 4g (one can hope :eek:) Just because it has been 2 years doesn't mean the body has to change. The unibody MBP has been around since 2008 and won't be discontinued until at least 2013. The current Air pretty much nailed the design for an ultrabook so why change it?

6. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Current designs are good already. No need for changes for the sake of change.

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

8. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I'd be happy if they'd at least give a black-bezel option :)

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Given that Apple hasn't changed the unibody Macbook Pro design in a long time, I don't think they'd change the more recent Macbook Air design anytime soon.

10. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

overall shape of any macbook pro or air is faced with design limitation. I think that it will be hard to change design conception for next generation whatever. unibody shape is almost perfect. I also guess that the same design will be continued for next 10 years unless they would have a brilliant idea.

11. twintin macrumors 6502

It can also be made worse (just look at all those Air copies in the PC market). Only other ultrabook design that looks good is the Samsung Series 9.

12. jacob-07 macrumors regular

I really don't see how they can change the design of the air.

13. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

After 2 years ... change for the sake of change? Ridiculous.

What design changes/improvements do YOU suggest Apple makes to the 2013 Airs? Thinner? Lighter?

14. plucky duck macrumors 6502

Instead of a wedge design, I'd rather like to see it more rMBP like, where it's not tapered, but has a uniform thickness, yet thin like the rMBP to accomodate a larger battery, either for the sake of longer uptime or to accommodate a retina display. A 11" rMBAir? But I'd much rather see a 7 or 10hr battery life on the 11" Air.

The only current ultrabook design that tops the Air is the Samsung Series 9 imo, that is a very sexy and unique design in the marketplace.

15. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

But fails on the SSD front.

16. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I expect a lot of people to get really defensive. :D

Seriously though, considering that the Air was such a groundbreaking product then it's odd that Air owners tend to be the most defensive people when it comes to change.

IMO, the biggest expectation Id have with the next Air redesign would be to drop that useless bezel. Either decrease the overall size of the Air to fit the current screens or increase the screen sizes from 11/13" to 12.5/14" in order to maximize surface area. Either way, this is meant to be an ultra portable device so lose the bezel. Oh, and offer something other than anodized aluminum because it's no longer a distinct Apple look.

[​IMG]

----------

Huh? You don't consider the Retina MacBook Pro to be a changed unibody design or the future of the MacBook Pro lineup?!?

17. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

@KittyKatta
    Looks good... But where's the camera? ;)

18. Blackberryroid macrumors 6502a

Blackberryroid

We need a thinner Air. I think the MacBook Air is actually an illusion... It looks thin when you look at the ports, but when you HOLD the thing, it's actually thick. It's curved, the thin side is in the ports, the thick side is in the middle, right below the keyboard.

I want an ACTUAL thin Air. I want to feel the thinness when I hold it, not this. It's thin, but not thin enough.

19. KittyKatta, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

20. Calot macrumors regular

Sorry, but that looks like poop. I love the normal bezel.

21. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

That looks amazing.

I wouldn't say the current bezel is useless, seems to help its primary structure, but it certainly looks it. If they can find a way to reduce the bezel by anything approaching that margin I'd be sold.

22. KPOM macrumors G5

It's possible that we'll see a better screen next year. ASUS has an optional IPS 1920x1080 screen in the 11.6" UX21 series. That said, Apple might hold off until it can put a true "Retina" display into the 11.6" Air.

23. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

I think that the bezel actually helps with the MBA's durableness. If you drop a MBP, the glass edging cracks the whole screen. The MBA's bezel will get dented but the glass will not break and it costs less to replace.

24. plucky duck macrumors 6502

I very much like the Samsung Series 9 thin bezel and wish Apple would do something like that, but not if it means compromising structural integrity and sturdiness.

If I put my laptop in a backpack I try to make sure nothing is sitting on top of it or that there isn't too much pressure applied to the lid casing.

The colour scheme subconsciously has something to do with the overall user experience. At initial glance, the bezel does look huge, and fact is that it is, but because of the silver color scheme it somewhat blends in with the display when in use against a light background web browsing. In use, I hardly notice or pay attention to the large bezel. If it was black it I'm not sure if I would notice it more.

25. DrumApple macrumors 6502

- A much better high-res screen with a matte option
    - Thinner bezel for screen, maybe fit a 14" screen in the 13" chassis a la the Lenovo X1 Carbon
    - Several color options such as the original aluminum, gun metal (dark gray), black.
    - A better keyboard
    - Larger SSD for base model

:D