2013 Macbook Pro 13'' vs 15''

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by linkgx1, Dec 25, 2013.

1. linkgx1, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013

linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Ok. I'm heavily considering purchasing my first Macbook (Well, Mac product ever). But I'm torn between a 15'' and 13'' version. I'll mostly use it for school. I may do some graphic design on it and some photo editing.

I see the 15'' version starting at $2000 versus a 13'' with similar configuration for 1799. Is the extra 2'' worth it? I may connect it to an external monitor from time to time. I was thinking about the 13'' version and using the $300 savings to get AppleCare/SquareTrade.

Any tips or someone who's used different sizes?

BTW, I have a Windows 8 PC I built with a Core i5 3570K processor and was thinking about slappin' in a GPU soon. So I don't need the most beastly Mac. But didn't want to make too many compromises.

Sorry I'm considering the Retina!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Retina?

The processor i5 or i7, resolution and graphics will be a key decision factor:

13" 13" Retina 15" Retina
    1280 by 800 pixels 2560 by 1600 pixels 2880 by 1800 pixels
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 Intel Iris Graphics Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    ( $1999 model)
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory ( $2599 model)

http://store.apple.com/us/mac/compare

If you will connect to a larger screen then maybe the 13" will be fine for your use.

3. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah, Retina. Totally forgot. I'll get the Intel Iris Pro I think.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

You should see them both in person and see which one you'd like to carry around more. The 15" is beautiful, but man is it big. And the 13" is certainly very usable.

5. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the thing. I was going back and forth at the Apple store and it is beautiful. But it doesn't seem as portable as it seems as a desktop replacment in many ways.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

seriously?

Holding both rMBP 13" vs 15" barely seems larger than the former. The weight is approximately the same, barely discernible in a bag of any kind even with just the charger to carry.

Depending on your Graphic work - since no apps where specifically mentioned, I'd say the 13" suits your needs. Just ensure you get the MiniDP adapter or a cable to your LCD at home/school/work.

Iris Pro will be good for video editing and the Nvidia buff said!

But to be honest, Do you see yourself growing into that kind of power in 3yrs?! If so then GO FOR the 15"!

Sell the home rig to augment the costs. Talk with friends and family for selling the home rig (distant family not your core family of course).

Either way enjoy your machine OP.

7. linkgx1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Maybe I should try it again.

You bring up an excellent points about developing into a power user. I eventually want to make my own apps and possibly make money starting my own business (Very much into programming, media arts, etc). There's two sides that are conflicting here:

1. If I do become a power user, I hope I have a business that brings enough profit to where I can always upgrade in the future if I have to since I'm just starting off.

2. I can become a power user faster than I thought and find out that I should have gotten the 15''. And the 15'' is quad core.

So much choice. I have two months to decide.

Also, I'm taking a few college courses on web design if that helps.

8. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Sounds like you're trying to talk yourself into justifying the 15". Just get it and be done with it.