2013 MBA shutting down unexpectedly on low battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by r6mile, Feb 20, 2016.

1. r6mile macrumors 6502

Hi,

I've recently noticed that my 2013 MBA (which just had its display replaced) has developed a weird issue. It has happened to me before but I never thought anything of it, until now when it's happened to me twice in the last two days. Sometimes when my MBA gets to low battery, not critical but around 10-15%, it just randomly shuts down, and I have to plug it back into the charger to turn it back on and be able to do anything. I've done an SMC reset but it's happened again.

Any ideas what might be the issue? It still has 4 months left of AppleCare so I could just take it in, but I just wanted to be able to rule out a hardware issue if anyone knows about this problem?

Cheers,

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Why do you need to rule out a hardware issue, or know whether it's a known issue (I presume you mean a known issue that you can disregard because it's to be expected, rather than a fault)? AppleCare covers both hardware and software issues. Apple doesn't expect you to be an expert diagnostician, and computers are very complex systems. Bring it in while it's still covered.

You may find this article helpful: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054 - pay particular attention to the section titled, "The low battery warning doesn't display."

You may want to run diagnostics before bringing it in: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202731

3. r6mile thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your reply.
    It's just that my laptop just had its screen but it took 3 weeks for me to get it back (see here for more), so I just wanted to know if this was a simple software issue that I could fix, to avoid having to bring it in. But I have found a few threads online of people saying they had the same issue, and Apple ended up replacing the batter and/or the logic board. So I guess I will take it in on Monday.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2016 ---
    I just ran the Apple Hardware Test, and it came up with a faulty battery.

4. r6mile thread starter macrumors 6502

Went to the Apple Store, and turns out it was a false positive. All other tests showed battery fine. Error is PPT004 for reference.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

X% is just an estimate but specific load/processes can change the remaining run time. Don't rely on running it to zero. Don't rely on running your car to completely empty either.