2014 MacMini now has 2TB fusion drive, but still no quadcore

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by ZMacintosh, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

I never noticed this upgrade, but on the 999 model you can now get a 2tb fusion drive built in by apple.

since it does not have quadcore, whats the value of the Iris pro graphics?

2. crazzapple Guest

The mini does not have Iris pro, only regular Iris graphics. Personally I would rather have the 256GB pcie ssd than 2TB fusion drive.

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Yeap I would have gone the same route.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

No argument there, even if the HDD is 7200 RPM.

5. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I rather have a diy 3tb fusion in an apple 2012 quad core.

I Built about 10 diy fusions in apple 2012 and apple 2011 models.

I can only hope current apple leadership is ousted so that sanity comes back to the desktop devision. Apple has not had deskstops this bad in more then 10 years.

6. crazzapple Guest

If we are talking about diy, then I would go 2012 quad-core (no lame dual-core here) with RAID-0 Samsung Pro 850 256GB ssds.

----------

Unfortunately this type of throwaway desktop computer from apple is here to stay. My apps (CAD, Matlab, programming environments) can all be run in windows and I'll be taking a serious look at Win 10 next year (finally with spaces like functionality!).

7. slenpree macrumors 6502a

slenpree

so glad the mac mini now has a 2TB fusion as a factory order now, not like 2TB 2.5" HDDs are new - been out since about April, but the last thing I want to do is buy a mac mini and take it apart straight away just to change the hard drive because the highest factory order is not suitable. It also means it can match the storage of the last generation while only using one spinner.

8. scottsjack macrumors 68000

The 2TB Fusion Drive would probably work for me. After the OS and some other files and caches there would be very little room left on the 125GB SSD. Therefore my 250GB iTunes file and 50 to 100GB Aperture files would be automatically sent over the the HDD. Movies and music seem to play fine from 5400 RPM HDDs.

As media computer that arrangement might work really good. A 250 SSD would work better but the 2TB OEM Fusion would be really doable.

9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

with the DIY Fusion drives and Yosemite, have there been any issues breaking the fusion set-up or performance hit with the SSD?

I ask a bit naively as I was reading some posts about issues on TRIM support for 3rd party drives in Yosemite.

i have a DIY fusion but I also purchased an Apple SSD instead.