2014 rMBP

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
4,527
410
Atlanta
With tax free weekend coming up for us in 2 weeks, I was considering getting a refurbed Oct 2013 model with 2.6GH, 16GB, and 1TB. Those have been on the refurb site for some time. I noticed yesterday that most of the Oct 2013 models are gone. I also noticed that Adorama has an extra hundred off on newer rMBPs.

Makes me wonder if this is just coincidence to Apple clearing out inventory to get ready to release a announce a new model in Sept that would either start shipping in Oct or not be available until Q1 if the Haswell chips have held up production.

I was just thinking about what could be changed for a 2014 that might make me hold off and get one of them. There is already TB2 and USB3. I doubt USB 3.1 will be included. Wifi will continue with the AC spec. SD card reader should stay. 4K video support is there. The only candidates I can think of would be Hawsell CPU with corresponding chipset, 32GB of memory as an option, greater than 1TB SSD as an option. Unless the other options are introduced, it seems to me that the Haswell upgrade will be nice, but it is mostly about less power consumption and longer battery life.

What say ye?
 

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
4,669
1,996
Adorama is including Applecare for free if ordered in July through Appleinsider.

That is an attractive deal.
 

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
8,086
2,055
Oregon
The late 2013 rMBP models already have Haswell CPUs. Since Broadwell isn't going to be available until sometime next year, the only upgrade I'd expect to see would be a minor spec bump.
 

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
4,527
410
Atlanta
Sorry I mixed up the CPU names. It will be interesting to see if Apple releases a rMBP this year with minor speed bump on Haswell or waits for next year to do Broadwell. Unless we get good info leaks between now and Sept., we will have to wait until Apple calls the next media event.

----------

Adorama is including Applecare for free if ordered in July through Appleinsider.

That is an attractive deal.
Especially since it should be tax free for folks outside NY & NJ.
 
Last edited:

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
63,851
30,367
Boston
I think a speed bump will be so minor that its not something people should wait for.
 

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
5,455
4,265
Is a spec bump even a possibility this fall? According to the Haswell Wikipedia page no new high end mobile chips have been announced.
i dont think there will be a bump.
Ifth ere is one it will be 0.1ghz. Not worth mentioning.
 

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
4,527
410
Atlanta
I have gone ahead with a 2013 model. I could not resist the deal at Adorama for a 15" rMBP and AppleCare for $600 off list and $300 less than B&H. I will sell my current rMBP to my niece to replace her 2010 white Macbook, which will go to her kids.
 

Sifinity

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2014
322
1
Texas
I have gone ahead with a 2013 model. I could not resist the deal at Adorama for a 15" rMBP and AppleCare for $600 off list and $300 less than B&H. I will sell my current rMBP to my niece to replace her 2010 white Macbook, which will go to her kids.

can you send me the link to the deal , and thanks
 

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
4,527
410
Atlanta
So a 200Mhz speed increase. But no new features such as 32GB memory, SSD larger than 1TB, TB3, USB 3.1, another wifi spec, an updated bluetooth spec....etc.

So the question is if Apple does the minor speed bump this fall, will they also drop the price by a few hundred? Maybe that relates to Adorama offering such good deals now to get the current rMBP on parity price wise with the new offerings in September?

I know, all will be revealed, in time. ;)
 

The Mercurian

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2012
1,833
2,056
I think it is a question of price drop vs GPU boost. If they leave the price the same they will have to do something other than a 200Mhz CPU boost. With so many people hanging on for Broadwell if they do not sweeten the deal somehow they won't sell any units.
 

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
285
67
UK
I think it is a question of price drop vs GPU boost. If they leave the price the same they will have to do something other than a 200Mhz CPU boost. With so many people hanging on for Broadwell if they do not sweeten the deal somehow they won't sell any units.
I'm pretty sure they'll continue to sell units. ;) I'm sure that if I asked just about anyone in the (technology consulting) company that I work for, most of whom have MacBooks, they'd not have heard of Broadwell, Haswell, or any other specific CPU. Outside of these forums, nobody really cares what's under the hood.
 

iPlodder

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2008
59
5
I can see a minor spec bump coming in the next couple of weeks now that the updated Haswell CPUs have been announced, similar to the MacBook Air update which came out 2 weeks after the i5-4260U chip was released.

I don't think we'll see more than the extra 200mhz across the board on the retinas, no change to the non-retinas, and a small price drop. A bump in the graphics to Iris Pro on the 13" models could also be a possibility.