2015 Airport Extreme, Comcast Blast 150, and slow throughput

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by dberkowitz, Jul 22, 2016.

1. dberkowitz macrumors newbie

I'm having difficulty with throughput from my Airport Extreme. I upgraded my service to Comcast Blast 150, but am getting close to that hardwired from the router and only half that or less, usually around 40Mbps, wirelessly. I had a Motorola Surfboard SB6121, and then someone on the Apple discussion forum said that it was the Surfboard not playing well with the Airport, and recommended the Zoom 5341J. So I got the Zoom, installed it, and no change. What gives?

2. Hilbert92 macrumors member

Hilbert92

Make sure you are connected to the 5ghz band. The 2.4ghz band will only push around 45-50 mbps on a good day.

3. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. Already had that checked in the utility.

4. Hilbert92 macrumors member

Hilbert92

ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Is what i use. Make sure your network cables from the modem to the router are Cat 6 at 550mhz.

5. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this with a Comcast Xfinity Blast 150 connection?

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The SB6121 handles the Blast 150 package just fine! We have the SB6121 and an AirPort Extreme and we easily pull 140 Mbps. The Motorola SB6141 has issues with the AirPorts, but the SB6121 works fine. I would start by doing a factory reset on the AirPort and also verifying that the Ethernet cable connecting the modem to the AirPort is good. Sometimes when a cable goes bad, it will dramatically knock speeds down.

7. dberkowitz, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

The thing is that I tested the cable I use to the Airport by plugging it directly into my laptop and got ~140 at the time, so I'm not sure the cable is the problem unless theres something else you could add about that.
    Since I have data on the Airport, are you talking about a full reset?

Just to go over the settings, here are the page by page settings in the utility:

Internet:

Connect Using DHCP
    It lists addresses for IPv4, Subnet Mask, router, and IPv6 WAN.
    DNS and DNS IPv4 servers are listed, but greyed out.

Wireless:

Network mode: Create Wireless Network
    Wireless Security WPA2 Personal

Wireless Options
    5Ghz Network is checked
    2.4 and 5Ghz channels set to Automatic

Network:

Router Mode DHCP and NAT
    It lists a range for the DHCP

DHCP Reservations -- none

Port Settings -- none

Network Options:

DHCP Lease - 1 day
    IPv4 DHCP Range 10.0.1.2 to 200
    Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol
    Block incoming IPv6 connections
    Allow incoming IPSec authentication

I should add that I've tried using both the standard and 5Ghz named networks and surprisingly, the 5Ghz is slower still.

8. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Have to say, when I saw the words Airport, extreme, blast and 150 in the thread title, I thought the worst. I'm getting paranoid about terrorist attacks.

I can't recommend more than the other posters for your problem, I'm afraid.

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If the cable gives you those good benchmarks, then there is no issues with it. Oftentimes, a bad crimp would cause a Gigabit capable cable to only do 100 Mbps at best. Doing a full reset on the AirPort will not affect any data on attached storage drives, but if my next tip does not work then that would be my next action.

I saw one thing potentially causing your issue, and that is the IPv6 settings. Is your IPv6 set to Link Local Only or to "Automatically"?

10. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

IPv6: Configure Automatically; Mode: Native; IPv6 Connection Sharing enabled.

Since I'm using an Airport Extreme, a hard reset would require backing up all the data thereon before a hard reset. :p

11. an-other macrumors regular

Do you have any other devices, especially routers or access points on your network?

12. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

You are getting good speed via wired connection through router but not wireless, right?

Look at what other neighbors if yours are using same channel / see if there is one less used.

Any other than your traffic on your chann - interference for you.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Can you test what you get via Ethernet from a LAN port on the Extreme?

14. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

The last time I ran it, I got ~140 directly from the modem. I have no other devices on the network, other than a Roku. But I live alone, so I'm usually not using both.

15. campyguy macrumors 68030

OP, I'll refer you to a post that includes links to two of my other posts - each Comcast/AE-related:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...for-great-connectivity.1971093/#post-22869645

And, ask the question: did you set up your new configuration as a new modem/router configuration? Put differently, did you power down your new modem and AE, wait several minutes, power up your new modem, wait until the modem is up and running, then power up the AE?

And, did you call Comcast support to offer that you're using a different modem - they may need to push a new config FW file to the modem, and they may not have your new modem associated with your account (if you haven't notified them of the new modem, stop reading this now and give them a call).

Given that you're getting decent speeds via Ethernet, I'll offer that I suspect you need to properly pair your new modem with the AE. I have 7 offices and two residences using Comcast - a proper reboot/reset protocol to get the modem and AE talking properly has not failed me once - it's outlined on Apple's Support portal. Good luck...

16. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to copy the data/backups from the AE to another drive to preserve them?

17. campyguy macrumors 68030

Under the File Menu and in Edit mode for an Airport, I use the "Export Configuration File…" option - and the Import Configuration File… option to restore a saved/desired state. Works every time...

18. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try connecting an Ethernet cable to the back of the AirPort and running the test and report back with the results. This way we can determine whether the issue is with the AirPort itself or the wireless equipment in it.

Data on an attached USB drive will not be affected by resetting the AirPort. That being said, once an AirPort is reset you would need to recreate the Disks sharing settings like the disk password or the accounts depending on what option you use. If all you need is the settings, then follow the steps provided by @campyguy.

19. Hilbert92 macrumors member

Hilbert92

Just to double check please make sure you are connected via the 5ghz band. The airport doesn't automatically switch you to the faster band you need to manually connect.

20. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, folks. I'm verging on exasperation. I have done the following:

At your suggestion, I've reinstalled the Motorola Surfboard SB6121. I've had Comcast reset the mac address followed by a full reboot including removing the cable from the modem. Once it was up, I reset the Airport Extreme. I reestablished the network, including a 5G network, which I manually assigned to my laptop. NOTHING HAS CHANGED. I'm still getting ~50Mbps

21. Hilbert92 macrumors member

Hilbert92

What laptop are you using?

22. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

Mid2010 MacBook Pro 2.66 i7, 15". Here's the thing. It's old and the logic board is misbehaving (slow, spontaneous reboots, etc), but when I run a hard line into it, I get the 140-150Mbps.

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Use your keyboard and hold your 'Option' key while clicking the Wi-Fi Finder icon and post it. This way we could see what you connection speed truly is showing!

24. Hilbert92 macrumors member

Hilbert92

I'd be willing to bet that the computer might be the issue. They only have N rated airport cards in the older laptops. Do you have another wireless device you could test the speed on the 5ghz band?

25. dberkowitz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll have to borrow someone's laptop. Thats something I really should do.