2015 MBA liquid damage, apple says logic board but...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Mathilda3517, May 3, 2017.

1. Mathilda3517 macrumors newbie

Mathilda3517

Cordial was spilled all over the keyboard of my 2yr old MBA from 2015.
    Let it dry out upside down for four or five days without touching it. It had turned off by itself immediately after the spill and we took thenporrd cord out straight away.
    Eventually tried to turn it on, it worked when connected to cord, and restarted with all my folders a and tabs open that had been then pre accident.As soon as the cord was removed it would immediately shut down.
    The battery icon has been continuously at 100% so far and green light on power cord, however it says it needs to be replaced.
    Otherwise it seemed to be working just fine.
    Took it authorised dealers, run diagnostics and told lots of little things need to be replaced including the logic board. Nothing about battery and can't speak to tech who ran it... fine, but I will not spend $1550 on it.
    I'm not satisfied they tried very hard. The guy said the tech has made it clear it will not run.
    However getting it home, it still works when connected to power, and running the hardware test it only comes up with the code ppt006 which is the battery needs replacing.
    Have been using it since we got it home today and some apps work although just gone through a rough patch with safari and chrome not working even though other apps seems to be fine to connect to net and work.
    A few delays with opening certain things have happened also. Just not sure what to do now, battery still says 100%. I just want to be sure that it is a problem with the logic board before I give up and buy a new computer...
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. 960design macrumors 68020

Don't drink and type.

Instead of trusting someone that does this day in and day out... do it yourself.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257

PS: Keep the port glass 'behind' the computer screen; that's where I keep mine.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

"Cordial was spilled", I love the use of the passive case.

To the OP: A second opinion might not hurt, but, - having read several such threads over the years on this forum - it is more than likely that your computer has taken damage of the sort that will require no small amount of repair.

Usually, with a spill, the logic board needs to be replaced, and that is what the authorised dealer has told you. It is possible that the battery has suffered damage as well.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Anyone Apple certified will be replacing any part that liquid touched.

If you want a cheaper alternative, find a third party that does liquid damage repair.

5. kohlson macrumors 6502a

A few years ago milk was spilledoonver the keys of our 13-in MBP. It was a couple of days before I could get at it, and by that time the damage was done. One of the things I remember is that the battery to logic board connector was positioned such that it captured any liquid, like a little mini bathtub. While not the same as OP, perhaps similar. In my case, replacing the battery alone would not have worked because the connector was also fouled. Good advice to see if there is someone that can repair liquid spill damage.

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

1. Check whether your home insurance covers an accident like this. 2. If you don't have a Time Machine backup, RUN to the nearest store, buy a cheap big external hard drive, and make a backup. 3. If it works plugged into power, then obviously you could use it that way until it is too inconvenient. 4. Keep making backups, because your machine could die any day.

7. imactech macrumors newbie

The liquid damage can go over various components of a laptop. Even if Diagnostics (MRI) shows that there is only one component affected, that doesn't mean it is true. Diagnostics only shows you what is severely affected at that moment but it doesn't show you how it came to be.
    Your battery is connected to your logic board with a connector. If a authorized service provider told you the logic board is affected ,the chance that is true it is very high. They take everything away from the laptop and look at every single part on its own to see if theres any liquid damage.
    Ask them for photos of the affected areas. See if its also on the logic board,if trust is not something you got atm.

All i can say is that your laptop works only temporary if other components has been affected, along with your logic board.

8. imactech macrumors newbie

Thats a big mistake a lot of people do. Do not send Your repairs to unauthorized stores. They can fix it but in the long run something will fail and you will have to go to Apple and if they realize (which they will surely see) that something has been done to their original components/ they have been replaced by non-Apple components , Apple will refuse to help in any way , even if you have Apple care or warranty or w.e program they might have that you could apply for

9. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Nonsense. "Authorized" repair just means they will throw out the entire logic board and drop in a new one. This is not always better. It is certainly more expensive. Sometimes Apple engineers make silly design decisions that can cause component failures. A competent technician can not only repair the board but also sometimes fix Apple's mistake.

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Stop perpetuating a lie.

The "new" logic board from Apple isn't even new. It's an old logic board that has been reworked.

There's no reason that a competent person with a schematic and a micro soldering station would not be able to repair a logic board as well as Apple can.