2015 rMBP problems: 5-6 hours of battery life and major UI lag.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Youhoney, Mar 24, 2015.

1. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

Rotten OS X Yosemite

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

Install gfxcardstatus and force the iGPU to be on. Sounds like you're running flash heavy websites or other apps that are forcing the dGPU to stay on. That kills the battery life...

Early reports show that the AMD chip is drawing more power than the 750M when running...

3. craigcunningham macrumors newbie

Having the exact same issues. I bought a fully specced out 15 inch with AMD graphics and returned it because I thought I had a dud since the battery would only last 3-5 hours. I showed them multiple screenshots and they swapped me out for a second machine no problem... only to find out that the computer they replaced it with has the same issues. Cant believe I spent this much money and I get so little battery life. Everything else is great but that battery issue is a bit ridiculous.

@magbarn. I downloaded gfxcardstatus and I see it in my toolbar but I dont understand where you can switch between the iGPU and dGPU?

Thanks for the help!

4. magbarn macrumors 68000

Click on the icon at the top of the screen and it should give the options.

5. craigcunningham, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

craigcunningham macrumors newbie

@magbarn This is all I get? Sorry I'm more into editing and never really played around with this stuff. Should I be selecting Integrated Only?

Attached Files:

6. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Yes, you should. Integrated is what the "i" in "iGpu" stands for. Make sure you close out any heavy-duty apps before doing this. Otherwise you'll get a pop-up telling you that you can't change the setting while those apps are running.

7. craigcunningham macrumors newbie

Ahhh ok, thanks @prospervic. I did this and gave it a few hours... still only 5:09 at 92% though. Better but still not close to the advertised battery life or even my old 2012 Macbook Pro?

8. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

I have the same 2015 model and have also noticed the battery life meter fluctuates much more than my old 2012 rMBP. Right now mine is showing 8:22 remaining at 96%, but other times it displays under 6 hours for the same charge level. (Haven't noticed any UI lag.)

However, actually using it is a different story. Yesterday while out and about I got about 5 hours usage (including a couple of hours of intense work using multiple tabs Safari, along with Evernote, Mail and Pages). At the end of my workday the rMBP still had 30% charge remaining. Not bad. (This would not have been the case for my 2012 rMBP). Maybe you should run your Mac all day on battery to get a better idea of how it holds up.

9. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

The new CPU and SSD use less power at idle than before. I notice this causes the estimate to jump around more than usual. The estimate is based off draw for the sample size. If your load is not constant then it will jump around.

10. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Actually, I am noticing problems with the graphics. Whenever the AMD dGPU is running,
    Aha! That makes sense. So, the battery meter is really only good for a "best guess" of how much time you have left.

11. UBS28 macrumors 6502a

When i get UI lag, it's usually because the Intel Iris Pro is activated. Switching to the 750m dedicated gpu solves the UI lag.

12. prospervic, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015

prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

13. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Yes, the battery life is pretty miserable on the 15" rMBPs. I have a mid 2014 model with the dGPU and I don't think I've ever gotten more than 5 hours of use.

14. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Animations seem much smoother with the new 10.10.4 update released today on my 15" 2015 rMBP with the AMD card. I only ever saw choppy OS animations with the Iris Pro and more than 5 windows open, but they are much smoother using the iGPU now after the update even with 10 apps running.

Anyone else notice this?

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

16. hobsgrg macrumors 6502

hobsgrg

I've been able to get 10 hours of battery life on 13" 2015 rMBP, however I only use Safari for web browsing and don't have Flash installed and haven't messed about with any settings, everything is still just default.

17. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

never mind :)

18. Hewthetitan macrumors newbie

Just returned a 15" rmbp base model for these and similar issues. 6 hours irl test for battery, ii lag, and screen flickering. What is going on?

Do the mba 13s do this? I like the retina screen, but I want smooth animations and to not need a charger...

19. Meister Suspended

Meister

The mbas don't have the UI lag problem.

Depending on you usage 6 hours of battery life is excellent.