Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
2016 stuff already cropping up, especially with American team Haas F1.

http://www.foxsports.com/motor/stor...very-romain-grosjean-esteban-gutierrez-121415

Not official, but here's a concept rendering.
Yello-Haas-F1-Team.jpg

Reactions: pachyderm

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I am hoping Ferrari comes back with something to challenge the Mercedes with. Also am very excited about Team Haas and have actually dealt with them for work.

Reactions: AleXXXa

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Pirelli will make their red-marked supersoft tyre available in Australia for the first time next year, after revealing the three compounds that will be used in the 2016 season-opener under the new tyre regulations.
Teams will also be able to use the white-marked medium and yellow-marked soft compounds over the Melbourne weekend.

As part of the new 2016 rules, every team must save at least one set of the supersoft tyre for Q3. Those who qualify inside the top ten will have to give the tyre back to Pirelli at the end of qualifying, while those who do not make the cut can carry the extra set into the race.

Teams must also have at least one set of mediums and one set of softs available for the race - although they are only obligated to race with one of those two compounds (should they also choose to use the supersoft compound during the race).

With 13 sets of tyres in total made available over the weekend, teams have free choice over their individual allocations for the remaining 10 sets.

Source - f1.com

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Pirelli will make their red-marked supersoft tyre available in Australia for the first time next year, after revealing the three compounds that will be used in the 2016 season-opener under the new tyre regulations.
Teams will also be able to use the white-marked medium and yellow-marked soft compounds over the Melbourne weekend.

As part of the new 2016 rules, every team must save at least one set of the supersoft tyre for Q3. Those who qualify inside the top ten will have to give the tyre back to Pirelli at the end of qualifying, while those who do not make the cut can carry the extra set into the race.

Teams must also have at least one set of mediums and one set of softs available for the race - although they are only obligated to race with one of those two compounds (should they also choose to use the supersoft compound during the race).

With 13 sets of tyres in total made available over the weekend, teams have free choice over their individual allocations for the remaining 10 sets.

Source - f1.com
No, no thats wrong.
Mercedes have to use full wets. Period.
Ferrari have to use inters.
The rest can choose as your post.

Unless of course it's raining then these rules are reversed.

That way we will get some close racing! :D

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No, no thats wrong.
Mercedes have to use full wets. Period.
Ferrari have to use inters.
The rest can choose as your post.

Unless of course it's raining then these rules are reversed.

That way we will get some close racing! :D
Given the new tyre rules the slower teams will have a brand new set of the supersofts to use anyway which should spice things up.

Thinking back it was 1.5 seconds between the medium and soft and 2 seconds between the soft and supersofts. The top10 will be on used tyres with the rest on a brand new set. Could be very interesting.

That said I would have likes to see Michelin back in the running with bullet proof tyres. They were the days.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest

Source - f1.com

I'm not sure how much that'll change things. Even when guys from Ferrari or Mercedes have some weird penalty or bad qualifying and have to start at the back, they always climb back into the top 10 at least. It would make things more interesting if someone they said if 1 of the 2 drivers finishing in the top 10, neither car can use the supersofts. Like if Raikkonen finishes #4 and Vettel starts from #18........Vettel can't use the SS. Then I don't think we would see these guys fly up to the top 10 within a few laps.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
i'd like to see them go to one tire compound.

or two at the most.
I'd like to see the restrictions on tires opened back up to allow camber and pressure changes. A more durable compound as well as all engine restrictions lifted for 2 years at least.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'd like to see drafting work where ever and whenever...

and keep the safety stuff but go back to mid to late 70's(80's or 90's) regs and ground effects.

Reactions: OLDCODGER

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
The BBC have ended their F1 contact three years early, early rumours are suggesting Channel 4 will be taking over the rights. Hope it's not going to be a return to advert breaks at key stages of the race like back in the ITV days. :(

EDIT: Channel 4 now confirmed. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bbc-terminates-f1-contract-channel-4-takes-over/

EDIT 2: Channel 4 will broadcast the live races with no breaks for adverts during the race.:) http://www.channel4.com/info/press/...1?hootPostID=dde274dfb372ab4d0ede906f68a35e34

Last edited:

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
The BBC have ended their F1 contact three years early, early rumours are suggesting Channel 4 will be taking over the rights. Hope it's not going to be a return to advert breaks at key stages of the race like back in the ITV days. :(

EDIT: Channel 4 now confirmed. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bbc-terminates-f1-contract-channel-4-takes-over/

EDIT 2: Channel 4 will broadcast the live races with no breaks for adverts during the race.:) http://www.channel4.com/info/press/...1?hootPostID=dde274dfb372ab4d0ede906f68a35e34
Gutted. I really like the BBC coverage. Let's hope Channel 4 do s good job of it.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
we have both kinds of adverts: complete commercial breaks and also side by side live coverage/adverts.

both are annoying.

thank god they don't do football that way.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
Gutted. I really like the BBC coverage. Let's hope Channel 4 do s good job of it.

I'm not from that side of the pond, but are people generally not in favor of Channel 4 in general or something? The only reason I know Channel 4 is because of their show with AMC "Humans"

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm not from that side of the pond, but are people generally not in favor of Channel 4 in general or something? The only reason I know Channel 4 is because of their show with AMC "Humans"
BBC has no adverts. Channel 4 does. Plus I like the team on the BBC. David Coultard talks a lot of sense.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
So looks like the US Grand Prix could be short lived.........was reading earlier that the Texas govt cut the amount they were giving to F1 below the required amount so now they might pull out and attendance has been declining, although its hard to blame Austin for that since this year's weather was so bad. I missed this past year due to another event I was scheduled to attend, but will definitely be there for this one if this is going to be the last one.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
So looks like the US Grand Prix could be short lived.........was reading earlier that the Texas govt cut the amount they were giving to F1 below the required amount so now they might pull out and attendance has been declining, although its hard to blame Austin for that since this year's weather was so bad. I missed this past year due to another event I was scheduled to attend, but will definitely be there for this one if this is going to be the last one.
And Bahrain will be a no no too, two great races gone

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Yeah, big shame for them..........although I do think because of the limited popularity of the sport here in the US it won't have too big of an impact on them.

It's just a reflection of what a sad state the sport is in. Apparently the hosting fees started at 25 million in 2012 and now are at 33 million. An 8 million dollar spike in 3 years. You can't price gouge everywhere you go. I think the CVC group is a parasite and the condition of the sport has never been worse. F1 needs a shakeup from the top down!

Imagine if F1 had rules in place similar to the NFL. Any team could win on any given Sunday, and a whole bunch of revenue sharing boosting the values of all the teams involved. Yeah right :D

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
It's just a reflection of what a sad state the sport is in. Apparently the hosting fees started at 25 million in 2012 and now are at 33 million. An 8 million dollar spike in 3 years. You can't price gouge everywhere you go. I think the CVC group is a parasite and the condition of the sport has never been worse. F1 needs a shakeup from the top down!

Imagine if F1 had rules in place similar to the NFL. Any team could win on any given Sunday, and a whole bunch of revenue sharing boosting the values of all the teams involved. Yeah right :D

I prefer when your market you play in can be an advantage haha. I don't like it necessarily like baseball where its a free for all which is kind of what F1 is like now. I do like how the NBA does it though with a soft salary cap and luxury tax penalties so it still helps smaller markets, but the larger markets can use their built in advantages.

Revenue sharing would be an interesting idea for F1. Something like you spend over a certain amount on your R&D and tech and anything over a certain amount you also give that money to the league and then at the end they disperse all the funds to the teams below that point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.