2016 MacBook Pro 15" + Apple cinema displays

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sparkie7, Nov 6, 2016.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Will the ageing 23" & 30" cinema displays work with the new 15" MBP's? Presumably with a combination of adapters?

Also, can the new MBP be connected to a 27" iMac to use as a 2nd display?

Any info/confirmation appreciated

2. Awjvail macrumors 6502

Yes. You would just need to use a Thunderbolt to USB-C adapter.

iMac would also work with a thunderbolt to USB-C adapter.

3. sparkie7, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016

sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

My 23 & 30" cinema displays are not Thunderbolt. They are the older generation, requiring mini display port

And my 27" iMac is a late 2009 model, so don't think its a TB model.

It only has a Mini DisplayPort w/ Audio.

"Supports external display in dual display and mirroring modes. Mini DisplayPort also supports DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI with optional adapters. The 27-Inch models also accept "input from external DisplayPort sources" with an adapter, so it is possible to use these models as an external display for a DisplayPort-equipped Mac or Blu-ray player, for example."

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-inch-aluminum-late-2009-specs.html#macspecs2

4. MikeThicke macrumors newbie

MikeThicke

I've been trying to answer this question as well. I have a 30" Cinema display with a DVI connection (model A1083). I got this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BJ0HQK6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which is supposed to convert usb-c to dual-link dvi. It doesn't work with my wife's macbook though so.... If that doesn't work I'm really not sure what to do. FWIW, I have been emailing with StarTech support and they think their adaptor should work.

I don't think a usb-c to minidisplayport converter will work, because minidisplayport on its own can't drive a 2560x1600 monitor (needs a usb connection as well).

5. sparkie7, Nov 7, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2016

sparkie7

In the specs it says:

• Resolutions up to 2560x1600
    So should work?

It says:

"The adapter supports dual-link video resolutions up to 2560x1600."

But then says

"Notes: Your USB-C equipped device must support video to work with this adapter. Some legacy DVI monitors may be limited to a resolution of 1920x1200 when used with this adapter."

What?

6. MikeThicke macrumors newbie

MikeThicke

Yeah, "what?" indeed. StarTech thinks their adapter should work with the Cinema display at full resolution. So I don't know what they're referring to with that caveat.

7. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502a

GnarleyMarley

I've been trying to figure this out for the past week. I think I'll be ok since I do have the thunderbolt display, not sure how it's going to work with the displayport displays.

8. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

I assume you haven't received your new 15" MBP yet to test it. Maybe it does work?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 8, 2016 ---
    Apparently Not?....

(From Apple page Questions & Answers for Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter)

http://www.apple.com/au/shop/produc...31&fh=459d%2B3073%2B30a3%2B30a6%2B30a8%2B4506

Can this adapter be used with the late 2016 MacBook Pro?

In order to connect the DisplayPort connector to the 2016 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 ports, it seems that a TB 3 -> TB 2 adapter is required. But from that adapters support page, it does not appear to work. Can Apple verify our Cinema Displays cannot be used with the newest late 2016 MacBook Pro?

"Thunderbolt 3
    For Mac models with Thunderbolt 3, you can use a use a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter to connect to Thunderbolt devices like displays and external disks.
    Note that although it uses a Mini DisplayPort connector, the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter doesn't support connections to Mini DisplayPort displays. Also, this adapter supports only one powered Thunderbolt 2 device on a USB-C equipped Mac."

9. MikeThicke macrumors newbie

MikeThicke

I've only tested with a usb-c macbook so far (unsuccessfully).

Current backup plan is usb-c to minidisplayport (https://www.amazon.com/AllSmartLife®-DisplayPort-Aluminium-resolution-ChromeBook/dp/B017TZTMBG/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1478622000&sr=1-1&keywords=usb+c+mini+displayport), but I think I'd also need a usb-a connection to deliver power.

Edit: the nuclear option: http://superuser.com/questions/3320...ink-adapter-exist-i-dont-care-about-the-price

(At that point I would probably just suck it up and buy a usb-c display though.)

10. sparkie7, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

sparkie7

That first option will likely not work.

But this one might?

https://www.startech.com/eu/AV/Disp...Dual-Link-Active-Adapter-USB-Powered~MDP2DVID

+

This...

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables...ayport-cable-adapter.html#product-description

Could work?

11. daveak macrumors regular

Not sure where you got that from. The USB connection on a cinema display is purely for the USB hub / audio / camera. The 2560x1440 of the cinema display (not 1600) works just fine over only the minidisplayport.

12. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

This is correct. I have three 30" ACD's connected to my Mac Pro. And I only plug in the USB connector if I want to use the USB ports on the back of the displays. The 30" displays get all their power from the large white power bricks

13. basj macrumors newbie

This is right, but incomplete. The USB cable does a bit more than only USB hub / audio / camera. Today I could not adjust the brightness of my Apple Cinema Display (27", with Mini Display Port) using my bluetooth keyboard. I didn't have my USB plugged in to my Macbook Air (2011). I have found that when the USB from the display is plugged in, all of a sudden I can change the display's brightness through my bluetooth keyboard. So apparently my macbook Air communicates through USB with the display.

On a side note:
    I have bought the AllSmartLife usb-c to Minidisplayport adapter as I intend to keep using my Apple Cinema Display with the new 2016 Macbook Pro I am going to buy. Buying a new Macbook and a new LG 4/5K monitor is a bit too much. Not sure it will work in full resolution but I will find out.

14. daveak macrumors regular

I had never noticed that before, but yes you are right, brightness control seems to need the USB cable plugged in.

15. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Ok no replies - if any of the above adapter will work - I guess no one knows until they receive them and their new MBPs. Going to be an expensive trial and error folks.... :(

16. MikeThicke macrumors newbie

MikeThicke

So on my current MBP the setup is this: mbp -> (usb/minidisplayport) adapter -> (usb/dvi) monitor. It is true that the second usb connection, from adapter to monitor, only carries the usb signal and is not necessary to run the monitor. But the first usb connection, from the mbp to the adapter, is required for power. Unplugging it causes the monitor to lose the signal. If I used a usb-c to minidisplayport converter and plugged it into the adapter, the adapter (I'm 99% sure) would not work. It needs power from usb.

If you have a minidisplayport display, that's a different story. Then the usb-c to minidisplayport adapter may well work on its own.

17. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Surely not if you use the second USB-C port with USB adapter, should have enough power?

18. MikeThicke macrumors newbie

MikeThicke

Yeah, I think that would work. That's a total of 3 adaptors and 2 usb-c ports to run the monitor though! So I'm really hoping a single usb-c to dvi adaptor will work.

19. MikeThicke macrumors newbie

MikeThicke

20. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Which one, link?

21. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

22. MikeThicke macrumors newbie

MikeThicke

Good news: When connected to the Cinema Display through the Startech adapter, the MBP detects the display correctly as 2650x1600.

Bad news: I either get a black screen or multicolored gibberish.

So yeah... I'm not sure where that leaves me. Is there something wrong with the adapter or is there something about the signal coming from the MBP? I'm going to consult with Apple and StarTech support to see if they have any idea.

23. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Which Startech adapter? Sorry there are several. And which model MBP did you connect it to? Any other cables/adapters used?