2016 MacBook Pro External Monitor Connection?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ray&Paula, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Ray&Paula macrumors regular

HI, Have you tried to use a USB-C to Displayport on your 2016 Macbook Pro w/ Retina/Touchbar external monitor? Apple doesn't show this particular connection. In regards to everything I've ever read that using a displayport is better than HDMI, DVI and VGA. Please let me know if you have made this connection along with your thoughts. My MacBook Pro is slated to land in mid December. Thanks in advance for your help. Ray

2. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome!! Looks like it's being done. Apple obviously didn't list it due to not testing it. A displayport should've been at the top of their list for testing simply due to the great throughput it has to offer. Thanks again for your help. Ray

3. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I've got a USB->DisplayPort cable, and it's working fine for me, although I can't find anything anywhere in the Mac that will tell me what refresh rate it's at. I'm using it with a 2560x1440 external monitor. I assume it's 60Hz, but nothing actually says, so.

4. DesertSilver macrumors 6502

Can you clarify if you're using a USB-C --> full size DP cable on the new TB Macbook Pro? If so, does the laptop happen to charge also when connected with this single cable? I'm guessing no but would like to know for sure. Thanks.

5. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

#2 is me. Here's proof it's connected at 60hz hiDPI.

[​IMG]

@DesertSilver no, it couldn't possibly charge the Mac, this is simply a $20 usb-c to display port cable, a one way video signal output to the monitor.

6. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

I've got the MonoPrice/Google USB-C to DP cable, I'll give it a try tonight. I don't expect any issues.

7. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Great replies everyone!! I have an Asus PB278Q 2560x1440 external monitor (spec's below). It's been a great monitor on my windows system. This is the one I'll be using on my MacBook Pro (once it arrives). Should work out ok.
    xmonkey.... Please do report back. Thanks again to all of you! Ray

upload_2016-11-17_17-50-23.png

8. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

No, it doesn't. DisplayPort doesn't do power delivery. You'd need a fancy hub or something for that.

9. xmonkey macrumors 6502a

Happy to report the Monoprice cable is working great for my NEC monitor (PA271W)! Pretty sure it's even giving me 10-bit color support, but I need to dive into that a bit more to confirm. Tried all 4 ports and all worked equally the same, recognized the monitor and switches over to it pretty quickly.

10. Ray&Paula thread starter macrumors regular

Great!! Keep in touch.... Thanks. Ray