2016 MacBook Pro Recall Rumor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdonisSMU, Dec 4, 2016.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

http://www.thebitbag.com/macbook-pro-2016-battery-issues-reported-recall-coming/208397

2. dk808 macrumors 6502a

Is this just for the 13 inch? I heard 15 inch is okay battery wise. Mine comes in like 2-3 weeks and I don't wanna send it back lol

3. Smoovejayy macrumors regular

My battery life has not been stellar since day 1. After calibrating the battery, I did see > seven hrs of estimated life left one time... Other than that, it has not gone past a little over six hours. Really disappointing since that was basically the same time my previous MBA gave me. I think eventually Apple will issue some sort of battery program.

4. AdonisSMU, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

I see between 7-14hrs. The display is a bit dim too even set to its brightest settings.

5. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I'd hope they'd issue some form of a recall--maybe just a free battery replacement at the Apple Store or something. Also, for those effected by the GPU issues, I think something needs to be done there as well.

6. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Nothing more than baseless clickbait. Considering every other person seems to have coconutBattery open all the time and everyone's maximum charge capacity is more than 100%, what would a battery replacement even achieve?!

7. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

What model do you have??

8. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

15" 16GB 2.7 512 455 spacey

9. bluush macrumors 6502

*shakes head*

Been coming to these forums for nearly a decade and I've never seen the level of alarmist clickbait so out of control.

10. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I'm hitting the same times. Very happy with this performance.

Could the 455 be more efficient and/or have better drivers?

11. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

IDK?... good guestion though.

12. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

I'm skeptical that a recall will fix the battery life issue. What would fix it is putting a larger battery in, which of course can't be done without a total redesign. That would be billions of dollars. I think that what Apple could do is just lower the price (never would even consider as it would dilute the already diluted brand) and upgrade the older MacBook pros with newer internals. They'd never do that either as that would admit that they spent the last four years going backwards.

Once the precision trackpad of microsoft gets stable, if it ever does, I'll be taking my first look at windows computers in a decade. I suspect macs will still be less hassle overall, but the difference may not be worth the huge price premiums. I'm not sure why I keep paying more for less. The money adds up.

13. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

Journalism has changed. It's no longer about articles, the truth, or muckraking. It's an endless series of clickbait titles, written by frauds and hacks. Clickbait, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled machine. Journalism has changed. Clickbait authors write clickbait articles, use clickbait titles. Clickbait inside their bodies enhance and regulate their abilities. Clickbait control. Information control. Emotion control. Internet control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control. Journalism has changed. The age of information has become the age of clickbait. All in the name of averting catastrophe from truth and information. And he who controls the clickbait, controls history. Journalism has changed. When the Internet is filled with clickbait, clickbait... becomes routine.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Apple? Apple? Apple?

Yes, Adonis?

My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw a rumor about Apple being passed around last night at the local Starbucks. I guess it's pretty serious.

15. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I returned by base 15". Battery was 2-5 hours max. All with light browsing, etc.

16. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

I just hope it works more or less as advertised cause I plan on ordering one soon...:(

17. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I don't know what you all are doing to get 2-3 hours out of it. I'm getting typically 9.5-11 hours out of it. sometimes and hour or two less depending on what I am doing that day with it.

18. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

Sure they will fix it, next year we will have new MBP with larger battery...

19. mahcus36 macrumors regular

13" or 15"?

20. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

13" Touch bar, 512gb space gray model

21. farkasam macrumors member

My new 15" 512 blah blah blah is a piece of garbage right now. The touch ID stopped working and I get between 3.5-5 hours with light email, word, powerpoint and a few smaller things. The entire system just seems choppy. I cannot believe they raised prices so significantly for such a piece of garbage.

22. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

There definitely seems to be something wrong. Apple are normally fairly reliable (or even conservative) with battery estimates as reviews tend to get within an hour of the stated battery life. There are a few too many people reporting very bad lives though - seems to me it is either a dodgy batch or the "standard" battery tests such as movie looping and website looping are not good approximations of real life usage for this model. Very premature to be talking about a recall - I'm sure Apple will be taking note of all the returned models to understand what is wrong.

23. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Billions of dollars to do a redesign? lol, no, it would cost nowhere that much to design a larger enclosure with a big battery while keeping the other parts the same. Now, if they sold millions of these computers and then decided to replace all of them with this new model then that could cost billions on their part. However there is no way a company is replace millions of computers over a battery giving a shorter battery life than they should. That scenario would only be in play if the battery was exploding on a very large percentage of computers and creating a safety hazard.

24. DanGoh macrumors 6502

DanGoh

25. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

I doubt most of these posts are real, folks.

Not only do I have contact with 11 of these new machines (2 are mine and I'm on at the moment) I've heard NOTHING from the big Apple Store near me and I have friends working there.

My battery life on my 13" is at least as good as my MacBook Air and no other issues.

BTW, this is the best laptop I've used at any price. It's stunning.

R.