Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
Sorry if it has been asked before....I did a search but couldn't find any related topics.
I own a 15" 2016 MBP (bought in December 2016). Last week I've noticed some, what I thought it was, dirt on the screen and tried to wipe it. To this I've got a microfiber cloth, which I only use for cleaning the screen of my MacBook.

But ... these stains couldn't be cleaned. When I looked better at them I saw a "cluster" of little dents and also a row of dents in the screen/coating, which I think are caused by the keyboard.

Before this MacBook I had a Late 2013 13" retina, with the "staingate" coating issue. That screen was replaced under warrantee. What do you guys think about this screen (see picture) is it caused by the keyboard or is it something I've done wrong?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_1b98.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1b98.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 686
Reactions: buckwheet

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Maybe grit on your keyboard? I have heard of screen damage from a keyboard when he laptop was carried inside a book pack with pressure on the top, pushing the screen into the keyboard.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
After seeing your picture I noticed that my screen has the same marks. But they seem to be coming off when I scrape them with my fingernail.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
After seeing your picture I noticed that my screen has the same marks. But they seem to be coming off when I scrape them with my fingernail.

That's sounds like taking more risk than I would like ... I've tried to clean it with a damp microfiber cloth, but that didn't work.

Maybe grit on your keyboard? I have heard of screen damage from a keyboard when he laptop was carried inside a book pack with pressure on the top, pushing the screen into the keyboard.

There should be no grit on my keyboard, I try wipe of all dirt before I close it.
I always transport the MacBook in a Pack & Smooch sleeve, which I place in my Moleskin Messenger Bag

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
That's sounds like taking more risk than I would like ... I've tried to clean it with a damp microfiber cloth, but that didn't work.

There should be no grit on my keyboard, I try wipe of all dirt before I close it.
I always transport the MacBook in a Pack & Smooch sleeve, which I place in my Moleskin Messenger Bag

Is you Moleskin bag crowded. The only way the screen should contact the keyboard is if there is weight or something pushing hard on the top of the laptop.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
Only things in my bag are the charger and the USB cable. In the front pocket are my keys and Magic Mouse.
Sometimes I've got some A4 papers in it, not many.... so the weight should not be an issue.

T_Oscura

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2016
Sorry if it has been asked before....I did a search but couldn't find any related topics.
I own a 15" 2016 MBP (bought in December 2016). Last week I've noticed some, what I thought it was, dirt on the screen and tried to wipe it. To this I've got a microfiber cloth, which I only use for cleaning the screen of my MacBook.

But ... these stains couldn't be cleaned. When I looked better at them I saw a "cluster" of little dents and also a row of dents in the screen/coating, which I think are caused by the keyboard.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2016-display-scratches-easily.2024791/

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017
I assume you are not using a keyboard cover, correct?

Have you tried a screen cleaner to ensure this isn't caked up dirt/oil/adhesive residue? My MBP keyboard DOES make contact with the screen when closed and this can result in buildup of some stubborn residue even when I try to wipe the keyboard before closing. I use Rogge screen cleaner, if it is of interest, and have used it extensively even on the flake-prone previous gen retina.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
I assume you are not using a keyboard cover, correct?

Have you tried a screen cleaner to ensure this isn't caked up dirt/oil/adhesive residue? My MBP keyboard DOES make contact with the screen when closed and this can result in buildup of some stubborn residue even when I try to wipe the keyboard before closing. I use Rogge screen cleaner, if it is of interest, and have used it extensively even on the flake-prone previous gen retina.
Good advice. I had similar stains on my rMBP that's about the same age,wiping with a dry cloth will only remove dry dust,not grease,tobacco tar or pollution from Diesel engines. The screen does attract this kind of dirt,due to static electricity,so a good screen cleaner spray,and a very soft cloth should remove it.

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
It's possible that the heat from the keys causes and/or accelerates degradation of the screen's anti-glare coating or something internal in the screen. Also, human fingers secrete slightly acidic sweat and oil. It may be that the heat from the keys and between them is sufficient to off-gas small amounts of these secretions that could possibly affect the anti-glare coating even if the keys never touch the screen.

It may help to use one of the microfiber screen protectors when the MacBook Pro is closed and, if possible, not to close the lid while the computer is warm.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
It's possible that the heat from the keys causes and/or accelerates degradation of the screen's anti-glare coating or something internal in the screen. Also, human fingers secrete slightly acidic sweat and oil. It may be that the heat from the keys and between them is sufficient to off-gas small amounts of these secretions that could possibly affect the anti-glare coating even if the keys never touch the screen.

It may help to use one of the microfiber screen protectors when the MacBook Pro is closed and, if possible, not to close the lid while the computer is warm.
Good advice,but most dirt from fingers etc can be removed with anti static screen cleaning spray,and that kind of cleaners won't affect the coating.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai

The keys are a plastic, none-conductive insulating material. They're not going to have much residual heat and certainly not enough to imprint onto a screen. They'd melt before that.

Stuff like this is usually just micro-particulates in the atmosphere of wherever you're using it, tiny little sticky residue which can build up. This will naturally be migrated and congregate at certain areas because of the physical distance between the screen and keys. You should clean it regularly, probably every day to avoid build up; and try avoid any pressure on the shell when in a bag. But it isn't the keys scratching anything or the screen coating diminishing. Things like this get exaggerated because it's a laptop, on your desktop monitor you probably wouldn't notice/be concerned with it. And try not to put anything between the screen and keys, there is zero tolerance in that gap, if you put a film protector on then this will likely attract dust through static, and as it's a softer material than the keys it could imprint a little. All this will do is cause damage to the protector, and reinforce a view that the protector is necessary as it's getting damaged; and so the belief that without it the screen will be damaged. In reality screen protectors do very little to protect a screen, they are a sacrificial layer that can not protect against puncture or sharp scratches, and I think in a lot of cases they afford the buyer a flawed notion of protection. They could also cause damage to a screen if not applied correctly due to an air/moisture gap building up, so once removed it leaves a little discoloured section. Use them if you want, just be careful is all I'm saying.

Stefan johansson

macrumors 65816
Apr 13, 2017
Sweden
The keys are a plastic, none-conductive insulating material. They're not going to have much residual heat and certainly not enough to imprint onto a screen. They'd melt before that.

Stuff like this is usually just micro-particulates in the atmosphere of wherever you're using it, tiny little sticky residue which can build up. This will naturally be migrated and congregate at certain areas because of the physical distance between the screen and keys. You should clean it regularly, probably every day to avoid build up; and try avoid any pressure on the shell when in a bag. But it isn't the keys scratching anything or the screen coating diminishing. Things like this get exaggerated because it's a laptop, on your desktop monitor you probably wouldn't notice/be concerned with it. And try not to put anything between the screen and keys, there is zero tolerance in that gap, if you put a film protector on then this will likely attract dust through static, and as it's a softer material than the keys it could imprint a little. All this will do is cause damage to the protector, and reinforce a view that the protector is necessary as it's getting damaged; and so the belief that without it the screen will be damaged. In reality screen protectors do very little to protect a screen, they are a sacrificial layer that can not protect against puncture or sharp scratches, and I think in a lot of cases they afford the buyer a flawed notion of protection. They could also cause damage to a screen if not applied correctly due to an air/moisture gap building up, so once removed it leaves a little discoloured section. Use them if you want, just be careful is all I'm saying.
Very good advice. And as I said earlier,a screen cleaner spray will remove it.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
Sorry for my late reply.
I haven’t tried a screen cleaner yet, will buy one.

Tried it with water on a microfiber cloth but that doesn’t work at all. I can feel the damage (or dirt?) in (or on) my screen ..

peraspera

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
Good luck with the screen cleaner. If a damp microfiber cloth or a screen cleaner doesn't remove it what you are feeling may be slight acid etching from the mildly acidic skin secretions from your fingers. If you find that is the case wiping the keys down, allowing the computer to cool down completely before closing it and using a microfiber screen protector should prevent any further damage.

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
I tried cleaning it with special wipes, but didn’t work. Made an appointment with the store where i have bought the MacBook. They say it can take up to three weeks before I will get an answer/repair.

So I am gonna bring it in next week, just before my vacation so...

To be continued

Reactions: planetf1

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
For the people who want to know:

I've send my macbook in with a damaged screen (due to the keyboard) and also made a note about the screen not being uniform.

After first inspection the store decided to send the MacBook to an authorized repair centre, because they couldn't repair the damage themselves. Two weeks later they decided it took to long and I could choose:

- wait for a MBP with the same specs
- money refund
- pay additional € 100,- and get the 2017 model

The additional € 100,- is to pay the difference between the 2016 and 2017 model, so I choose to do that.
Typing this message on my 2017 now!!

First impressions:

- keyboard seems different, seems to make less noise
- screen is uniform
- it looks like the speaker grills are designed differently. On my 2016 I saw the difference between the places where the speakers and mics where situated compared to the rest of the grill. I don't see that difference now, almost as if all the holes in the grill are really open.

Last edited:

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
For the people who want to know:

I've send my macbook in with a damaged screen (due to the keyboard) and also made a note about the screen not being uniform.

After first inspection the store decided to send the MacBook to an authorized repair centre, because they couldn't repair the damage themselves. Two weeks later they decided it took to long and I could choose:

- wait for a MBP with the same specs
- money refund
- pay additional € 100,- and get the 2017 model

The additional € 100,- is to pay the difference between the 2016 and 2017 model, so I choose to do that.
Typing this message on my 2017 now!!

First impressions:

- keyboard seems different, seems to make less noise
- screen is uniform
- it looks like the speaker grills are designed differently. On my 2016 I saw the difference between the places where the speakers and mics where situated compared to the rest of the grill. I don't see that difference now, almost as if all the holes in the grill are really open.

2017 model has the same screen like 2016, so damage from keyboard it's also possible

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.