MacBook Pro 2016 Display scratches easily

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mullet, Dec 30, 2016.

1. mullet macrumors regular

Anyone else seeing this happen?

I haven't abused or done anything out of the ordinary with my new MBP. I don't put a cloth or anything in between keyboard and display when closing it. Do you guys think this warrants going to an Apple Store to have it looked at?

Here's a pic of what it looks like. IMG_2562.jpg

2. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

Kind of looks like dust/oil buildup. Have you tried to wipe it?

3. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. Used a Photo-Clear microfiber cloth and some screen cleaner. The display was a little bit dirty and that's how I found out about the micro scratches.

4. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

You're right, that hat is a a bit dodgy! ;)

Looks more like smudges than scratches. Try a microfibre cloth and some water first...

5. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

See my above post... I did use some Fellowes screen cleaner and the mentioned microfibre cloth. I'll try some water as well. But these are NOT smudges.

6. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

Are you storing your laptop in your backpack/bag and is that bag filled to the brim? A lot of times if you have a lot of stuff in your bag, books/notebooks/stuff, it can push down on the screen and cause it to make contact with the keyboard possibly causing scratches.

In your case honestly it just looks like oil buildup/dust. Try some 70% isopropyl alcohol.

7. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Looks more like a damaged coating than any damage to the actual glass. Do the MBPs have a film over the glass?

8. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

I am putting it in a sleeve first then in a bag that does have a lot of stuff in it. So I think you're on to something there. I can try some isopropyl alcohol to see if it is able to remove it, but I'm doubting it.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    I'm not sure if they have a coating per se. I'd assume if it does, it'd have some oleophobic coating.

I've heard people use tooth paste to fix scratches on glass displays. Not sure if that trick works on these displays or not.

You like the hat, eh? :)

9. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

If you're in the exchange period and those marks are not consistent with any rough handling etc, get it swapped.

Yep, quite the fan of those hats although I must confess that they don't suit me much! :cool:

10. fs454 macrumors 68000

It's definitely a scratch and has been common since the 2012 retina MBPs onward. If you stuff it into a tightly packed bag, this will happen no matter what. I spent 3 years traveling with my 2013 model and if you turn the display off and look at it, you can see the entire keyboard etched into the glass. When you're using the notebook you really don't see it at all, and I fully expect this to happen with my 2016 model too.

I'm hesitant to put anything in between the keyboard and screen as I feel like this will end up putting even more pressure on the screen. I'd rather have small imperfections than a cracked display. Does anyone have experience with these types of products and stuffing the MBP into a tightly packed bag?

11. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

12. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

I'm assuming it does. But I could be wrong. I think I'll try buying one.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 30, 2016 ---
    I'm beyond the exchange period, but well within the 1yr warranty period. ;)

I've always worn "ivy" caps or paper boy caps or whatever they're called. I've never liked baseball caps.

13. fs454 macrumors 68000

14. Kjung7 macrumors 6502

I read in another thread that the company switched the design because the full coverage ones prevented the lid from closing all the way. Apparently people who preordered received an email updating them about the situation.

15. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking the same thing. I read on an Amazon review the issue with closing the display fully. This laptop has even tighter tolerances in terms of space available to put an object in like one of these screen savers.

16. IngerMan macrumors 65816

IngerMan

It does close fully, I have one. But if I move it down to cover the track pad it does not seem to close fully, close though just no click like when on the keyboard

17. fs454 macrumors 68000

Hmm, I'd be skeptical about even using the keyboard one, then. It has to be exerting some sort of pressure on the display - the keyboard and touch bar sit at the same height as the trackpad and palm rest area.

18. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

19. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

I think a better question is... why doesn't Apple use a more protective coating on a premium product?

20. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Hope you guys are happy with your super-thin devices!

That is terrible design.

21. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

Yes this is disappointing to see. The Dell XPS uses Gorilla Glass and I see no reason for the higher priced MBP not to have something similar.

22. mullet thread starter macrumors regular

The thinness is not the issue. It's that the display is prone to scratching if you get some dirt and oil on your keyboard.

23. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

What a pointless ill wisher you are.

24. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The keyboard should not be coming in contact with the screen. It should be expected that oil (not going to cause a scratch) and sediment will find it's way on to the keys in a mobile device. It should be anticipated. This is bad design.