Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I just had the logic board replaced in my MBP 16 2 weeks ago. I’m also stuck in the endless loop. I just updated to High Sierra 4 days ago and the problem started. I found an article from Wired talking about a EFI issue. Im not sure if this is the same issue. But it sounds similar. https://www.wired.com/story/critical-efi-code-in-millions-of-macs-is-not-getting-apple-updates/
I also am experiencing the same TouchBar failure, after the computer sits for a few hours, everything works as normal including the TouchBar.

Beefychimp3

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2018
Also got this issue on my MBP touch bar 2016. Since updating I get the critical error message and the touch bar wont respond even though it displays everything fine

blackcypher

macrumors member
May 3, 2017
The endless loop "might" be fixable if you take it to a Genius Bar when they run their hardware scan of your laptop. In some cases I've seen where the unit still didn't function correctly and they had to take the unit back for replacement of the internals (lower).

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
Hi all,

This indeed is an issue with your EFI.
Some say it will be fixed if you completely erase your drive, not just the partition.

Anyways, no fix yet, but I found a workable workaround:
If you connect your macbook to a wired network, it will skip the critical update.

It will reoccure when you reboot, but as long as you are connected to the wired network it will boot normally.

Hopefully this will be usefull here as well. I've posted my workarond on several pages now.
------
There are some signs that it might be caused by CLI installs with -target /

Prevent this by targeting the correct partition

Last edited:

DennisBlah

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2013
The Netherlands
++ check your /Library/LaunchDaemons for possible scripts that are running.

for me I had to remove a script I made myself which apparently blocked the embeddedOS activation

My Dime Is Up

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
Sorry for bump

Does replacing the touchbar fix this? Is the touchbar chip placed on the assembly or on the logic board somewhere? I didn't see it anywhere on iFixIt's photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.