Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boazii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Hi all, I hope someone can help me with this, i couldn't find definite answer to my question anywhere on the internet.
I just got 2016 MBP (15.4) to replace my 2013 MBP, I'm simply trying to get it to display 4k @ 60 Hz on my 43" Sharp 4K TV over HDMI using the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, unfortunately I can't get the refresh rate above 30 Hz at 4K which looks pretty bad and fuzzy (text is grainy etc), Apple support indicates that:
"... late-2016 MacBook Pro models support 60Hz refresh rates over HDMI when used with a supported HDMI 2.0 display, an HDMI Premium Certified cable, and a supported USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter"
When I plugged in the adapter into the USB C port for the first time I was prompted to update it, so the adapter and the MBP are both up to date... should I try a different adapter? I'm using HDMI 2.0 cable by the way...
what am I missing?

boazii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks hawkeye_a, why would the Apple adapter supports 4k@60Hz??... what I was thinking :( I guess the Apple adapter goes back to the store...
I found the Anker USB-C to HDMI Adapter on Amazon with good reviews, one of the reviewers referred to using the Option key to get the refresh rates options on the Monitor settings... anyone tried that?

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Thanks hawkeye_a, why would the Apple adapter supports 4k@60Hz??... what I was thinking :( I guess the Apple adapter goes back to the store...
I found the Anker USB-C to HDMI Adapter on Amazon with good reviews, one of the reviewers referred to using the Option key to get the refresh rates options on the Monitor settings... anyone tried that?
I have the Anker HDMI adapter and it worked fine at 4K @ 60Hz to a Vizio TV. The Options key trick is correct, yes.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

boazii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
I have the Anker HDMI adapter and it worked fine at 4K @ 60Hz to a Vizio TV. The Options key trick is correct, yes.
Got the Anker HDMI adapter, 4K still not working at 60Hz, not sure how to do this trick with the Option key :( waiting to hear back from Anker support...

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Got the Anker HDMI adapter, 4K still not working at 60Hz, not sure how to do this trick with the Option key :( waiting to hear back from Anker support...
When you're in Display settings for the TV, hold the Option key down and then click on "Scaled". It should give you a list of resolutions to pick from (instead of "Larger text", etc..). Once you've got that showing, check the "Show Low Resolution Modes" box and it will give you a dropdown menu to select the Hz.

See this video as reference:

Reactions: MBrandonLee

boazii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
When you're in Display settings for the TV, hold the Option key down and then click on "Scaled". It should give you a list of resolutions to pick from (instead of "Larger text", etc..). Once you've got that showing, check the "Show Low Resolution Modes" box and it will give you a dropdown menu to select the Hz.

See this video as reference:

Thanks xmonkey, still doesn't work for me, even after exchanging the TV to a high end Samsung TV, very disappointing especially since after a week I'm still waiting for Anker support to reply to my inquiry... my main TV is LG OLED TV and I don't have to hold anything on the keyboard to get 4k @60Hz, so I really think it has to do with the TV manufacturer, but never mind that, although I knew what I'm getting into - I getting frustrated with my new Macbook, so it might go back to the store, you used to get the newest and greatest from Apple... not anymore...i will just hang to my late 2013 MBP...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
What hawkeye_a said : It doesn't support 4k@60Hz . it's dumb but that's how it is.

Thanks hawkeye_a, why would the Apple adapter supports 4k@60Hz??
The reason is that it has a USB port. USB-C hasn't got enough bandwidth to support 4K@60Hz and USB 3.1 Gen 1 at the same time. So all adapters with HDMI and USB ports are limited to 4K@30Hz.

Regarding your issue, your setup should work. Watch the linked video and make sure you're holding the correct key while simultaneously clicking on "Scaled".

boazii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
The reason is that it has a USB port. USB-C hasn't got enough bandwidth to support 4K@60Hz and USB 3.1 Gen 1 at the same time. So all adapters with HDMI and USB ports are limited to 4K@30Hz.

Regarding your issue, your setup should work. Watch the linked video and make sure you're holding the correct key while simultaneously clicking on "Scaled".

Trust me I did so many times... the only option that comes up is 30Hz. Why the top of the line Macbook "pro" doesn't have the simple option that $1,000 Dell XPS has out of the box? what happened to "it just works"?

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
Trust me I did so many times... the only option that comes up is 30Hz. Why the top of the line Macbook "pro" doesn't have the simple option that $1,000 Dell XPS has out of the box? what happened to "it just works"?

Not sure what option the new XPS has out of the box (I think it may be able to drive one 4K at 60 via USB-C like the MBP uses), but the 9550 requires an optional dock to run a 4K monitor at 60 Hz. The MBP will drive four with its native ports.

Have you tried all of your USB-C ports? Could be as simple as a defective port.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Could be a few things... maybe the cable itself, or the specific port on the TV you're trying to use?

I know for sure that the Anker adapter can output 4K/60, verified it myself on a Vizio.

Reactions: Sanpete

MBrandonLee

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Thanks xmonkey, still doesn't work for me, even after exchanging the TV to a high end Samsung TV, very disappointing especially since after a week I'm still waiting for Anker support to reply to my inquiry... my main TV is LG OLED TV and I don't have to hold anything on the keyboard to get 4k @60Hz, so I really think it has to do with the TV manufacturer, but never mind that, although I knew what I'm getting into - I getting frustrated with my new Macbook, so it might go back to the store, you used to get the newest and greatest from Apple... not anymore...i will just hang to my late 2013 MBP...

Hey there, I made that video. Can you tell me what happens when you hold down option and click on scaled? Does anything show up related to additional resolution modes?

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Interesting.
But then what of those docks claiming 4k@60Hz in addition to the other ports (ref the Belkin dock "coming soon") ?

boazii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
Hey there, I made that video. Can you tell me what happens when you hold down option and click on scaled? Does anything show up related to additional resolution modes?

When I hold the Option key I do get the additional resolution options but the highest is 30 Hz, interesting that it also toggles between "Gather Windows" and "Detect Windows"...
[doublepost=1485969530][/doublepost]
Are you using a 4K 60Hz capable HDMI cable?

I'm using HDMI 2.0 cable...

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Right. The difference between USB-c and TB3 in USB-C form factor then ? I find it unbelievable in that case that Apple came with a USB-C only adapter instead of a TB3/USB-C adapter. Shame !
The USB-C adapter in question was released in April 2015 before Thunderbolt 3 even existed.

MBrandonLee

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
When I hold the Option key I do get the additional resolution options but the highest is 30 Hz, interesting that it also toggles between "Gather Windows" and "Detect Windows"...
[doublepost=1485969530][/doublepost]

I'm using HDMI 2.0 cable...

That's so weird. I think you may be right and it is something limited on the TV. Have you looked in the settings for the TV to see if there's an option that you have to turn on in order for it to work that way?

boazii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2009
(Late) 2016 MB(P) total let down, Anker support responded after 2 weeks :mad: by that time the Macbook was back at the store... till next time (maybe) Apple!

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah
(Late) 2016 MB(P) total let down, Anker support responded after 2 weeks :mad: by that time the Macbook was back at the store... till next time (maybe) Apple!

Please explain more about how you determined it was Apple that was at fault. I don't think that came out in the discussion so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.