2016 MLB Season Thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Feb 16, 2016.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Time to put out the hot stove, Spring training is just days away! Melt the snow, grab the glove, it's baseball time.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I predict the Rockies will have a losing season, making it 6 in a row below .500. I can't believe with how crappy this team is, how they get so many people to go to the games.:rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 5.55.12 PM.png

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

The big event for me this year is going to see the Yank's in Boston. Bucket list item and the wife got us killer seats behind the third baseline! 22 rows up!!! I cannot wait!

4. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

That's sweet. There is something special about a Red Sox/Yankees series, I got to see the Red Sox come in to NY on opening day 3 years ago.

So the Yankees could be good enough to win the World Series, or find their way to 4th place all in the same season. This depends on how well our pitching holds up. They have the best pen in baseball now, it's just a question of can the starters hold up.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Heard that one prognosticator says the Cubs will win 101 games this year. What a job to have! You can be totally wrong and still get paid to try again.

P.S. Good grief! When will people learn the difference between a possessive and a plural?

6. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I was able to see a Yankees - Red Sox game in old Yankee stadium. Talk about something special. Not only that, It just so happened that my favorite player was pitching for the Yanks and well. It was a great night!

Then I went to a Yankees - Dodgers game at the new Stadium. Rained out on day one, day two, double header. It was pretty cool. Not as cool as the old stadium though.

7. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I love this time of year, when everyone thinks it's the year that their favorite team will win its division and go to the World Series. As for my team the Detroit Tigers, I hope they rebound this year and do it again, but this time win it all.;) However it goes I still watch almost every game, I did it last year even when the Tigers were out of contention. Go Tigers!!! :D

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I live in Boston, and try to go to baseball games reasonably often. I've been to quite a few Yanks@Sox games, they are always very fun. However, I feel because the teams haven't been neck and neck at the end of the season for so long, nor faced each other in the playoffs for even longer, the rivalry has sort of died down a bit. I think the BJays or the Rays have been closer competition for the Sox recently than the Yanks (except last year... ugh). We need a good ol' fashion yanks/sox 2-5 games apart, always switching who is leading, for a whole season. That will rekindle the rivalry!

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Amen to that!!!!!!!! Favorite time of the year when this is happening! That is ok, the Yanks do not like to talk about last year either! LOL

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

What's your feeling on Sandoval showing up looking like a tub of Crisco, and Ramirez not having a glove.

Meanwhile the Yankees are dealing with the Chapman situation.

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think the team needs good internal leadership. Varitek really held the players together, he was a force that kept some solid level of responsibility in each player. Since he's been gone, there has been a general lack of discipline and respect. Sometimes it's not a problem, and the wins and good moods make up for it (e.g., 2013). Most often, it becomes septic (e.g., 2012, 2014, 2015). The team needs a teammate to rise above the rest and lead, like Varitek used to. Maybe this person would get a "captain" title, maybe not. The title or symbol don't matter in my opinion. What matters is that this person is a good leader that is given the opportunity.

Ever since Varitek left, Ortiz is the most senior and most experienced player, but he's no leader and actually a bad influence on younger players I think. As soon as Ortiz is gone, I think they can finally hold out Pedroia as the leader that he can be and that should inspire some of his notorious discipline to rub off on the other team members. Maybe they give him the title Captain, again I don't care. But right now, I see Ortiz's giant shadow is getting in the way of a truly great team leader from getting the team into shape.

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The rumblings have already started on how long Farrell lasts and the season has not even started. He needs to become a manager and not just a players friend.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think managers are overrated, in general in the MLB. The specific coaching staff that interface with the various positions and disciplines and directly with the players are very important. Likewise the GM has a ton of responsibility for the makeup of the entire team and coaching staff. The manager seems to be a sort of bureaucratic in between, who is always the scapegoat when the team does poorly.

14. Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I hope Dave Dombrowski does a better job with Boston's bullpen than he did with Detroit's bullpen. ;) Go Tigers!!!!

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The Cubs remain totally stacked. From a regular season prospective, the Cubs are likely among the best in baseball.

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

So the take out slide is out.
    Also, a manager/coach can only spend 30 seconds at the mound. And TV time outs have been cut by 20 seconds.

The neighborhood play is also reviewable.
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14843711/mlb-union-ban-rolling-blocks-baserunners

17. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

18. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

I was never a fan of the neighborhood play. And now with slow mo replay everyone knows how close the foot was. I don't think it was an issue before replay. I am all for taking out the vicious slide, and adding the 30 second mound visit.

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

20. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Aroldis Chapman has been suspended for 30 games.

21. aesc80 macrumors 6502

aesc80

22. Dorothy Gale macrumors member

Dorothy Gale

I wholeheartedly agree.

23. ruck macrumors member

ruck

Had a great time listening to our first Cactus League game today. 7-0. Go M's!!

24. Centaurr macrumors 6502a

Centaurr

Just announced:

the Dark Knight (Matt Harvey) will pitch on opening day against the Royals #Mets #UnfinishedBusiness

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 4.40.48 PM.png

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Adam LaRoach retires because the White sox don't want his son in the locker room all the time. Good for the Sox.