2016 vs 2017 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johanhh, Jul 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. johanhh macrumors newbie

Hi, my plan is to buy a new computer on blackfriday.
    I am deciding between the 2016 MPB nTB 256gb and the 2017 MPB nTB 256gb.
    Am i gonna miss out on alot if i get a good deal on the 2016 model?
    I just wan\t to be sure that the 2016 doesnt have any major things missing.
    thank you

2. JohnnyGo macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that the nTB version received the best upgrade in terms of CPU performance wise as well as power consumption.

I would go with the 2017 unless you get a major discount for a 2016 unit (25-30%)

3. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

Depends what you need. Even the base models of these things are highly capable machines, so if the discount is good it's worth just getting the older unit. At the same price or within 10% you'll want the newest though.

4. Jamalogo10 macrumors member

Jamalogo10

I can attest to this. My computer is a 2017 nTB MBP i7 512ssd and 16gb of ram. When comparing geekbench scores to a similarly equipped i7 nTB 2016 theres about a 1500 point difference.

5. Cloudane macrumors 68000

Cloudane

Yeah as others said, it depends how deep the discount is. Apple products tend to have an end of life where they're dropped for OS upgrades after so many years (about 7 I think) when they release a new version of macOS. Then the version of macOS they're left with has a couple more years of security updates. So getting last year's model means it's going to be EOL one year sooner. It's always worth calculating the cost of ownership over say 6 years and 7 years, calculating the difference in annual cost and seeing if that weighs up with the discount.

I tend to find I want a new one after 5-6 years so would have needed a deeper discount for it to be worthwhile.

For that reason along with the apparent power savings in Kaby Lake and the fact it's always questionable whether you should go for the first generation of a new Apple redesign (problems like "staingate" come up and are resolved in the next version), I went for a new 2017 model rather than hitting the refurb store for a 2016 one.

6. johanhh thread starter macrumors newbie

I am probably gonna buy the 2017 unless i can get a really good deal on the 2016 model.
    thank you for the help.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

Do you plan on getting AppleCare+ when you buy the laptop this fall? If so, keep AC+ pricing in mind when shopping. B&H in the past has had some deep discounts on AC. Don't forget the Apple refurb store, as they'll possibly have discounted 2017 models by November.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Its 4-5 months away I'd think about it then

9. johanhh thread starter macrumors newbie

10. MrGuder macrumors 68020

If your even thinking about the 2016 MBP I would strongly suggest getting AppleCare for the keyboard alone. I had 2 and both had key board issues and returned. I waited for the 2017 and the first one I got was perfect, no key issues, all keys are stable firm and feel much better than the 2016, even the space bar is better on the 2017.

11. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

4-5 months from now, the pricing could be somewhat different. 2017 refurbs may be available, and the price difference between a refurbished 2016 and refurbished 2017 of the same tier may be nominal. Further, by that point in time the 2017 new and refurbs may have replaced most of the 2016 stock of both Apple direct and authorized retailers, so you might not have as many options in sourcing the 2016. It is even possible (although it seems unlikely) that Apple could update the line again come November, which would also affect pricing significantly.

Given how significant the CPU jump as has been, I would personally favor the 2017, and I tend to favor purchasing sooner than later if one needs a computer. I think it is unlikely the MBP will see a significant sale pricing for Black Friday, but sometime between now and then you may find retailers discounting the nTB for several hundred dollars on flash sales like Best Buy did with the base 2016 nTB. YMMV.

I highly recommend purchasing AppleCare for the keyboard and free battery replacement (as out of pocket service for either is insanely expensive.)

12. johanhh thread starter macrumors newbie

I am probably buying the 2017 version because of the big difference. How much is apple care? I am not buying the computer from the official apple store.
    I am very good at looking after my stuff, are you sure i need it?

13. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

“I’m great at driving, why do I need insurance?” Think about that for a minute. Not everything that happens is caused by you.

14. ZapNZs, Jul 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

Multiple owners have had issues with the keyboard. While this arguably represents a small fraction of all MBPs, the commonality doesn't matter if one happens to be one of the people affected. If you get outside the 1 year warranty period, and your keyboard has a problem, the replacement procedure is very complex and expensive because it often entails replacing multiple expensive parts, and in some cases has required more than one repair to completely fix. Most likely you won't have these issues, but if you do then AC+ means you pay nothing (and, if multiple repairs fail to fix it, can even mean a new computer that you pay nothing for.)

Additionally, with the way the MBP is designed, if any single component fails, it is usually incredibly expensive to pay out of pocket as it often means replacing the logic board because most components are integrated with this single board (and the price of the logic board out-of-pocket costs is a sizable percentage of the initial computer's price to a point where it may not be economical to repair the system depending upon the age and model tier.)

Further, replacing the battery is also expensive out-of-pocket since it requires replacing the entire top case, where as with AC+ it will cover free battery replacements as soon as the capacity hits 80%. If you use the battery a lot, you can get one free replacement during that 3 year period, and this alone will essentially offset the purchase price of AC+.

The (limited) AD protection is also a plus because some accidents can't be prevented and electronics are simply delicate where as portable electronics are often exposed to rougher conditions. Out of pocket screen replacements are insanely expensive, where as IIRC AC+ is something like a $109 deductible for two separate instances (worth verifying this as I might be a bit off).

I'm moving in the direction of buying AC+ (or an authorized dealer's own in-house service plan) when I get a new Mac, and selling that Mac before the AC+ expires, and then replacing it with another Mac with AC+. My 2016 is getting sold before the extended service plan expires and replaced with what will presumably be a 2018 model with another service plan. If you are not buying through Apple or an Authorized Provider, your eligibility for AC+ may be different, and it is worth verifying this before committing, IMO.

Over my years of owning Apple devices, AppleCare and authorized retailer AD plans have saved me considerably more money than I have paid for the initial plans. YMMV, and others may not agree with me, but I tend to personally favor having the extended coverage on such expensive investments.

15. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Another thing is the touch bar is all electronic and if something were to go out how would you increase volume or brightness another reason why AppleCare is almost mandatory now. It's not that I don't trust the touch bar it's that if it goes out your stuck with no warranty.

16. johanhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, if i were to buy apple care, where would i buy it? Can i buy it online? I am probably getting the computer from a big electronic retailer in my country. Should i then just buy the insurance they offer or get apple care?

17. MrGuder macrumors 68020

It would depend where you live, best option is to call Apple on the phone once you have your laptop, Apple will ask you where you live and the serial number of your laptop to confirm its a legit Apple product. Then they can order AppleCare for you while your on the phone. They will walk you through the steps. They make it very easy to take your money. Lol.

18. johanhh thread starter macrumors newbie

I think it is called "Apple Protection Plan" in my country. How much is apple care usually?

19. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

Yes well said. On the matter of the entire logic board being replaced now days since all components are welded into it, remember that your data will be on the hard drive (with no way to separate it from the board). For Enterprise users who deal with sensitive and/or confidential data, this will need to be considered.

20. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

This depends on the terms of what they offer, your local repair/service options, and the quality of their own warranties/service contracts, IMO.

I work part time at an Apple Authorized Service Provider and they have their own in-house plans that come in both extended warranty (non-AD) and accidental damage flavors. The major difference between AC+ and their AD plan is that their AD plan covers liquid damage, drops, and everything except bodily fluids, and their is no deductible to be paid (with the plan covering up to the full value of the system, but not more.) Both the in-house plans and AC+ plans use the same Apple OEM parts, and work is performed by Apple-specific technicians with Apple's training. How good one plan is versus another IMO depends on the individual, how close they live to that particular store, what type of coverage they want, whether the source of parts/labor are through direct Apple channels, and what the respective pricing is among the plans.