2017 15" MBP _ Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Porkchop Sandwich, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Porkchop Sandwich macrumors member

I have a newly acquired 15' MBP (2017 ~ $2799 off the shelf model)

Question to owners of the same: When connecting to an external monitor, do you have the option to rotate the display in the "Display" settings?

*I am using an LG 5K - prior to the addition of the new MBP I was using my mid 2014 13" rMBP with this same monitor. The option to rotate the display into portrait mode was available.

2. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

Try holding Cmd + Option when you're in System Preferences selecting the 'Displays' tile. This should open up the Displays menu with the rotation option if it's supported on that external monitor.

3. Porkchop Sandwich thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Trey - tried that, no joy :(

Works fine using my 2014 laptop, seems odd that the newest MBP would not support it.

Aside from this unwelcome discovery, the new MBP is outstanding!

4. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Why would you even need external monitors with a 15' MBP? :D

5. Porkchop Sandwich thread starter macrumors member

touche'

Strange - when I disconnect the monitor I am able to get the rotate option via Comm + Opt while using the laptop alone.

As a side note - I also have a ssd external drive (MBP ssd from another MBP) that is encased in an OWC enclosure. Using the USB hub on my wired keyboard via the 5K monitor, the MBP will not detect it. Eliminate the monitor and plug straight into the laptop - recognizes the drive just fine. Other external hard drives that I use work fine either way..strange happenings with this combo!

It clearly appears to be the LG 5K that is creating some anomalies - I'll research this further in the accessories section but would still be interested in hearing from other 15" MBP owners relative to strange happenings.