Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
I have a newly acquired 15' MBP (2017 ~ $2799 off the shelf model)

Question to owners of the same: When connecting to an external monitor, do you have the option to rotate the display in the "Display" settings?

*I am using an LG 5K - prior to the addition of the new MBP I was using my mid 2014 13" rMBP with this same monitor. The option to rotate the display into portrait mode was available.

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Try holding Cmd + Option when you're in System Preferences selecting the 'Displays' tile. This should open up the Displays menu with the rotation option if it's supported on that external monitor.

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Thanks Trey - tried that, no joy :(

Works fine using my 2014 laptop, seems odd that the newest MBP would not support it.

Aside from this unwelcome discovery, the new MBP is outstanding!

Porkchop Sandwich

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2017
Why would you even need external monitors with a 15' MBP? :D

touche'

Strange - when I disconnect the monitor I am able to get the rotate option via Comm + Opt while using the laptop alone.

As a side note - I also have a ssd external drive (MBP ssd from another MBP) that is encased in an OWC enclosure. Using the USB hub on my wired keyboard via the 5K monitor, the MBP will not detect it. Eliminate the monitor and plug straight into the laptop - recognizes the drive just fine. Other external hard drives that I use work fine either way..strange happenings with this combo!

It clearly appears to be the LG 5K that is creating some anomalies - I'll research this further in the accessories section but would still be interested in hearing from other 15" MBP owners relative to strange happenings.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I read and watched on You Tube several reviews saying the same thing.... "best Retina's yet, pure whites, accurate colours, best factory calibrated Retinas yet from Apple, no backlight bleed". It was those reviews that convinced me to get one as I have had serious problems with previous Retina's. Well I have the same problem on this 2017 model as the ones you can see in that thread I linked to. It just amazes me that a laptop that costs so much is supplied with what seems to be a poorly manufactured screen. I have seen cheap televisions with better uniformity. My old 2011 MacBook Pro with the matte screen is still perfect. I just wish they still made them. I'm a photographer and I travel. I need a quality screen and I obviously can't carry around an external monitor and even if I could, I shouldn't have to.

There are very few computers with matte screen options now, if that’s what you need then buy one, always buy the correct tool for the job.

Apple have no obligation to make anything other than what they consider the best compromises on a laptop, and very bright LED IPS panels with retina pixel density but less power use than 4K, p3 colour gamut and class leading calibration and anti glare out of the box, is the best you can expect unless you are buying a machine made specifically for your use case. Backlight bleed is a problem with just about any high density pixel panel I have ever seen to some extent or another.

Your old 2011 wasn’t that great a screen it’s just the competition and expectations of laptop screens was non existent in 2011 and that why everyone’s bought them.

It may not be what you want to hear but every single review of best laptops for photographers etc that I can find put the mbp up there at or near the top, it seems laptop manufacturers are just not making what you personally want anymore, nothing anyone can do about that. I can find no matte options at all on anything I see recommended.

Reactions: HenryDJP

andrewj44

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2017
Please... did you look at that other thread or just ignore it?
"Your old 2011 wasn’t that great a screen it’s just the competition and expectations of laptop screens was non existent in 2011 and that why everyone’s bought them." It was a superb screen for the day. There was an outcry from creative professionals when Apple stopped supplying matte screens. You had a choice in 2011 of a high res (for the day) matte screen or a glossy low res Retina screen. Perfect whites and greys. Unfortunately my 2011 it will die again in the very near future and be destined for the rubbish bin. If that wasn't the case I would still use it.
Now...have a close look at the example pictures that people have posted on that other forum I linked to and all the comments and then come back and tell me that you think there is nothing wrong with them. They may well be customers who have been unlucky enough to receive a screen from a bad batch...I don't know. I have seen in store screens that look better than those on that thread so they do exist.
The one I have has areas of white whites and greys but the left hand side of the screen is warm with a slight pink hue and as you move to the right of the screen it becomes a colder darker cyan. That isn't normal and it is due to a part in the screen that is damaged according to a techie's comment I read. If I can find it I will post it.
And I'll add this in before you come back on the defence again....I have only ever had positive dealings and conversations with customer support and customer relations. I don't have a single complaint. They have always been extremely helpful.
I do not want to move over to Windows as I love Mac OS. I just need a screen with some degree of uniformity.
[doublepost=1512132148][/doublepost]
There are very few computers with matte screen options now, if that’s what you need then buy one, always buy the correct tool for the job.

Apple have no obligation to make anything other than what they consider the best compromises on a laptop, and very bright LED IPS panels with retina pixel density but less power use than 4K, p3 colour gamut and class leading calibration and anti glare out of the box, is the best you can expect unless you are buying a machine made specifically for your use case. Backlight bleed is a problem with just about any high density pixel panel I have ever seen to some extent or another.

Your old 2011 wasn’t that great a screen it’s just the competition and expectations of laptop screens was non existent in 2011 and that why everyone’s bought them.

It may not be what you want to hear but every single review of best laptops for photographers etc that I can find put the mbp up there at or near the top, it seems laptop manufacturers are just not making what you personally want anymore, nothing anyone can do about that. I can find no matte options at all on anything I see recommended.

There are plenty of Matte options on recommended laptops by the way but they are all Windows and mostly gaming laptops which are heavy beasts.. Asus, Razer Blade, Acer, HP... You need to read more reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.