2017 15" MBP: Is Woot/Amazon the best deal? Is it covered by the 4 year keyboards warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Appledoesnotlisten, Dec 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Appledoesnotlisten, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

Appledoesnotlisten macrumors member

Appledoesnotlisten

I am shopping for an entry level 15" 2017 on the deal and it seems that refurbished from Woot ( Amazon) is currently the best deal ($1646 with tax). However, I do not trust Amazon refurbishing process and am afraid that it does not come with the 4 year warranty on the keyboard.

Please advise:
    1) Do Woot refurbished ones come with a new battery?
    2) Are they covered with the 4 year keyboard warranty from Apple?
    3) Is it really the best deal?

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The STRONGEST advice I can offer:

Do not, do not, DO NOT buy ANY "refurbished" Mac from ANYONE except Apple itself.

Buy one from the Apple online refurb store.
    Might cost a little more, but that way you KNOW what you're getting.

"that is all..."

3. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

I bought a refurbished device from Woot one time, and I'll never buy one again from them. Refurbished to them is wiping the machine off and erasing the drive. I ordered a 15" refurb 2015 from them last year and it was described as "looks brand new." I can tell you it looked like trash. Scratches all over and a big dent in the casing. It was my last time buying off of Woot. They are a pain to deal with doing a return as well as they fought me initially on taking it back. Just my two cents.

4. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Any 2017 MacBook Pro should be covered by the four year keyboard warranty no matter where it was bought. I would still check with Apple though.

That being said, I agree with @Fishrrman that people should never buy a refurbished 2017 or earlier MacBook Pro from anyone but Apple.

I would also never buy a refurbished 2018 MacBook Pro from anyone (really good chance you will get one with the T2 fault).

5. Appledoesnotlisten thread starter macrumors member

Appledoesnotlisten

Thanks guys.
    I just canceled my order. I had placed it based on a number of positive Woot reviews, but figured that the $300 difference is not worth the potential headache.