Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
So the iMac redesign is staring us right in the face. Look at the LG 5K monitor designed with Apple: round telescoping, tilting stand, flat black, thin, even bezels, tripling down on Thunderbolt 3 and USB C ports only. Basically an iMac without the chin and a new stand. You're welcome.

HKN62_AV1-2.jpeg

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HKN62LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display?fnode=8a

Combine that with Kaby Lake 7700K and the AMD Polaris m495X -- neither of which are out yet and both 14nm . DDR4 memory. The AMD chip will slot into this chart http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/graphics/notebook/r9-m200 and the Kaby lake is 4.2/4.5 GHz with 4K accelerated encoding and decoding. Fusion drives and NVRAM drives. Prices, similar, maybe a bit higher. Likely the new emoji keyboard as an option.

Hopefully spring of 2017.

Oh, it will be thinner and non-user upgradable RAM. You heard it here first.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Why not go back to a G4 style. Can have a super thin screen and you don't have to deal with taking the display apart to fix the computer itself. It's gotta be a pain for Apple staff to repair the iMacs, especiallly the current ones with having to reapply the tape.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
but will it have display mode via tb3?
No.
[doublepost=1477706376][/doublepost]
That's not a good looking monitor though, so I really hope the next iMac doesn't take design cues from it....
well, i imagine it will retain the rounded edges.. but i do think the new stand is a big clue. i like that fact that it is adjustable height wise. though we likely will not get a vesa mount.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I could see a Space grey iMac with thinner bezels and a smaller chin. Perhaps a user-facing speaker grill in the chin instead of downward facing, but still with the new speaker from the MacBook Pro. (I could also see then along the sides, but that might look off.). New display tech with greater brightness and more contrast.

For ports, no more TB ports and four USB-C instead of USB-A, but SD Card, Ethernet, and headphone jack still there. And I could possibly see (but probably not) an OLD touch bar integrated below the display with the chin.

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
I could see a Space grey iMac with thinner bezels and a smaller chin. Perhaps a user-facing speaker grill in the chin instead of downward facing, but still with the new speaker from the MacBook Pro. (I could also see then along the sides, but that might look off.). New display tech with greater brightness and more contrast.

For ports, no more TB ports and four USB-C instead of USB-A, but SD Card, Ethernet, and headphone jack still there. And I could possibly see (but probably not) an OLD touch bar integrated below the display with the chin.
No, all signs point to all black and getting rid of the 'legacy' ports. And no LED toucher on the chin. the chin will be gone. likely though a new keyboard option with the OLED strop.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think the gaunlet has been thrown down by MS and its up to Apple now to respond, and if they just do a chipset update, it will be a mistake. I fully expect Apple to update their iMacs to make them more update to date, a fresh design and hopefully features that rival its competitors.

OldCorpse

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2005
compost heap
It feels like Apple is stuck. I think with the new challenge from MS, they really do have to redesign the iMac, because the basic design idea has not been changed in forever and a day. Now with the Touch Bar and other capabilities coming online, it's high time. Problem: the Intel chipset roadmap takes us into 2017 at the earliest, and the current iMacs are getting very, very long in the tooth.

I expect they won't update until late spring 2017 at the earliest. Maybe May 2017? Whatever, I'll wait. I'm still chugging along on my late 2009 27" iMac (that was top of the line at the time), and MacOS Sierra is still officially accepted on it, so until there are no more security updates for my iMac, I can wait until Apple gets serious with a decent update. If that's early 2017, I can wait, if it's late 2017, I can wait... heck, I can even wait until 2018, when I suspect my iMac won't be eligible for whatever comes after Sierra. So I got another 12-18 months where I can take my time. Hope Apple can pull it off in that timeframe.

And honestly, I'm just plain curious to see what Apple comes up with - they can't just cede the field to MS, I would think, so they've got to come up with something of a fitting answer with the iMac. Although on the other hand, look how they abandoned MacPro, left to languish shamefully unupdated for years and years now... what if that's the fate of iMac?? Shudder...

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Why not go back to a G4 style. Can have a super thin screen and you don't have to deal with taking the display apart to fix the computer itself. It's gotta be a pain for Apple staff to repair the iMacs, especiallly the current ones with having to reapply the tape.
Take the G4 design, rip off the Surface Studio by adding pen-sensor hardware to the screen and a really nice hinge, and Apple will actually have a sellable gimmick for once.

jackoatmon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2011
Well, I'm hoping they keep putting love into the iMac and if they don't, I'll be more than pleased to shift over to the next release of the Surface (I always like to wait till the kinks get worked out heh).

But honestly I think there's nothing to be worried about. They'll do a new iMac sometime next year and it will surely be sick. The current ones are super sick as-is.

Part of me is tempted to replace my top-spec-iMac + 11" Air combo with just a top-spec Macbook Pro and a dock screen/that LG thing.

But honestly I just don't know if my inner nerd (not to mention my practical professional self) could stomach the power compromises that inevitably come with laptop setups.

Would be nice to be able to show clients presentations on that retina screen while on the road though, instead of relying on projectors and printouts and stuff like that.

As for redesign – I assume (as others have mentioned) they'll include some way to use the new touchbar thingy (though I kinda put that in the category of "nice to have" but not actually important).

Other than that I'd love to see them get rid of the damn chin, and put the I/O back on side instead of the damn back.

I hate reaching back there, yet I do it most days haha.

Last edited:

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
A redesign imac can come with kabylake cpu available from 5 january. With amd gpu insides and with the last apple device that is left without speakers improvements. So i guess latest on March event

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Take the G4 design, rip off the Surface Studio by adding pen-sensor hardware to the screen and a really nice hinge, and Apple will actually have a sellable gimmick for once.
They should have done this 6 years ago. I always thought the G4 was a prep for touchscreen Macs.

Reactions: kazmac

Macmamamac

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
The iMac redesign will almost certainly be along the lines of the Surface Studio.

They won't be ripping them off, Apple filled a patent in 2010 for an iMac 'touch', so they have been thinking about it for a long time. It's just that microsoft moved in first.

My feeling is they will release an 'iMac pro' that will include the capability to gracefully lower the screen like the Surface Studio. That would be a dream set up for almost all artists and designers. The non-pro versions will be static without touch, or limited touch.

But both will include a touch bar on the keyboard and I suspect the trackpad will also recognise Apple pencil.

Last edited:
Reactions: EndersShadow

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
My feeling is they will release an 'iMac pro' that will include the capability to gracefully lower the screen like the Surface Studio. That would be a dream set up for almost all artists and designers. The non-pro versions will be static without touch, or limited touch.

But both will include a touch bar on the keyboard and I suspect the trackpad will also recognise Apple pencil.

Artists *must* use iPad Pro & Pencil ;-)

Sirmausalot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
Highly unlikely. Mac OS does not support touch and they don't want it to. it adds a huge premium to the cost for a small market segment they haven't been interested in for years. they do support prosoumer video and small video production, but that doesn't need touch. they see the emoji bar as how they want to support filmmakers. think of the surface studio as a reference design and a mind share design. Apple isn't doing that any more. they keep refining whAt they have.
The iMac redesign will almost certainly be along the lines of the Surface Studio.

They won't be ripping them off, Apple filled a patent in 2010 for an iMac 'touch', so they have been thinking about it for a long time. It's just that microsoft moved in first.

Macmamamac

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2015
Highly unlikely. Mac OS does not support touch and they don't want it to. it adds a huge premium to the cost for a small market segment they haven't been interested in for years. they do support prosoumer video and small video production, but that doesn't need touch. they see the emoji bar as how they want to support filmmakers. think of the surface studio as a reference design and a mind share design. Apple isn't doing that any more. they keep refining whAt they have.

I don't agree. I think touch is an inevitability now on Apple desktops. Not because people want to navigate around with their finger, per se, but for pencil integration for when the screen is in horizontal position.

The Surface Studio can be navigated exclusively with mouse. You don't have to ever lower it and draw directly on it if you don't want to. However, you are correct in saying this will increase the price to, probably, unacceptable levels for those who won't use ( at least think they won't use ) the function.

That's why I think Apple will split the iMac range and introduce a pro version with the touch and screen tilting ability.

Eventually, as costs come down, they will include it on all models.
[doublepost=1477845880][/doublepost]
Artists *must* use iPad Pro & Pencil ;-)

I use both of them. But, the prospect of drawing directly onto a fully powered desktop with a 27" ( hopefully 32") screen is taking things up to different levels.

Reactions: George Dawes

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
no iMac with touchscreen...that studio is almost for studio offices where you can move around and work standing in your feet. iMac is a more mainstream device and a nice one

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.