Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Well it's not out yet, but just based on the rumored specs and TFlops, it's probably somewhere between a GTX 1070 ~ GTX 1080. In AMD terms that would immidietly make it faster than anything currently in the Fury lineup. Even a heavily downclocked version (to help fit iMac TDP and heat constraints), would absolutely destroy not only the M395X but the desktop RX 480. Honestly I think I'm at the point where, unless something of this class is on the menu I'm just not sure I'm interested in the BTO (or even iMac) option anymore
i hope like you to get rid of the thermal problems that M295x has...is almost always running to hot compare to the last gen 780M or even the current M395x i guess

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

colodane

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2012
Colorado
I like the concept of a new keyboard with the TouchBar and Finger ID scanner. Also, continued improvement of the TrackPad.

But definitely do NOT want larger screens, curved screens or touch screens.

In fact, I'd actually prefer no screen at all. I would like just a box with some user accessibility and ability to drive external 4K or 5K displays. Perhaps something midway between a Mac Mini and the "new" Mac Pro. Design it with options that allow it to be marketed to either of those customers in addition to iMac customers. Then discontinue the Mini and Pro.

I'm perfectly content to select the display of my choice from Dell, Benq, etc. Lots of options at reasonable prices. For my needs, 4K is a sweeter price/performance spot than 5K.

The concept of having all my electronics inside a glued-together display is not appealing.

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
I would bet money that they make it thinner

WHICH IS TOTALLY STUPID

because the current gen already has thermal throttling

but you know apple and making things thinner, *somehow* it's become their one true goal in life.

Reactions: navaira and old-wiz

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Here's my wish list. Not sure how realistic it is, but from a technical perspective, there's no reason it can't happen.
  • Ultra-wide retina display, released in tandem with an announcement to begin supporting 4K content on iTunes with H.265
  • Either Kabylake or Cannonlake CPU (with H.265 decoding for playback)
  • nVidia Pascal-based GPU for BTO options
  • Same ultra-fast SSD speeds as seen in 2016 MacBook Pro with options for 2TB
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 / USC-C formfactor ports capable of full 10 Gbps speed each
  • Apple Magic Keyboard 3 with Touchbar
  • New: Short range (3-4 foot) wireless charging "radio" for use with Magic Keyboard 3 and future iPhone 8, iPad, and possibly Apple Watch
  • Facetime HD camera with 1080p 60fps support
  • Redesigned enclosure with a thinner "chin" (ultra-wide aspect ratio will allow components to be placed horizontally instead)
  • Available in Silver or Space Grey
We may be lucky if we even get even 1/10th of this, unless we're verge of a complete redesign for the iMac. We could be approaching that point, especially since Apple skipped the year 2016 entirely for a lot of products.

What Apple will probably not do:
  • Curved screen (even though LG offers this on many models, the new display they created with Apple is flatscreen.)
  • Touch screen (will cause arm fatigue)
  • Radically redesigned stand ala Microsoft Surface Studio (not needed since it won't be marketed to people who sketch on surfaces.)
  • Use USB-C for power (unlike the MacBook, the iMac draws too much wattage -- 200+ W under max load)
  • Keep the SD slot and ethernet jack
  • Lower the price...

Last edited:
Reactions: rdav

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA

WHICH IS TOTALLY STUPID

but you know apple and making things thinner, *somehow* it's become their one true goal in life.

The iMac G4 and Surface Studio have the right idea. Build the computer into the stand in an elegant way and make the display as thin as you want for sleek appeal.

Reactions: mollyc

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
yes kabylake will be available since 5 January for the imacs..nvidia chipss hard since apple is continue with AMD, but the Rx580 will be available soon, so it can be BTO and a little bit under clocked to provide just 120W from 130W originally , usb-c porst/tb3 100% sure, i think being a desktop they can keep usb-type a and the sd card

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
2002_imac_g4_tournesol.jpg

All I want from Apple is to make a modern day version of this...Can anyone possibly imagine this computer is 14 years old? :eek:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Great post and the mock up is a nice touch, although I think the chin won't be that thin (though I'd like to be wrong and wish it could be that thin!)

And I know there are folks who aren't looking forward to an all USB-C but I'm all in.

Also, don't forget we'll almost definitely get a 2TB SSD upgrade following in the footsteps of the new MBP, and I'm thrilled about this!

Looking forward to a Magic Touchbar Keyboard as well and it's more than likely we'll see a space gray color option. :D
[doublepost=1478132968][/doublepost]
The iMac G4 and Surface Studio have the right idea. Build the computer into the stand in an elegant way and make the display as thin as you want for sleek appeal.

I disagree with design choice of placing the guts of the machine on the base as far as it pertains to the iMac. Don't get me wrong, for the surface studio it's perfect because the display designed to tip into a touch mode angle, but since Apple doesn't seem to be going into that direction, I see little appeal of showing a thick slab at the stand, and I think such a sight would also disgust Apple as well. For the purposes of macOS and it's completely exclusive point and click UI, it makes all the sense in the word to keep that thickness, or bulge, or what have you, hidden from sight from the user.

Last edited:

macmee

Suspended
Dec 13, 2008
Canada
Ok so after now getting not one but *TWO* retina iMacs with image retention issues, I now have a massive number 1 priority for the next iMac or I absolutely wont go near it with a 10 foot pole:

* No more displays made by LG, has to be Samsung *ONLY*

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
More memory, more storage, faster processors, faster drives... and a backlit keyboard. Less cost.

Everything else is fluff.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I would love an iMac option that was like a Surface Studio, with the tilting angle. I know not everyone would like that, but the SS seems to have really high reviews and sales, and I definitely think a Mac version would sell like hotcakes.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If Apple sold this machine tomorrow, iMac owners would rejoice.
No, I think people would complain.
  • AMD vs. nvidia
  • The touch bar is not needed, imo, I've more efficient with real function key
  • Its 2016, lets see the stock configuration using SSD, and then if higher storage is needed, provide the 2TB Fusion drive
  • Magic trackpad is not something I want or use, so I see no draw in having that being included for no charge.

As for the bevels and chin, I think that's only attainable if Apple removes the computer guts and puts them in a pizza box below like the Surface Studio.
[doublepost=1478178221][/doublepost]
2002_imac_g4_tournesol.jpg

All I want from Apple is to make a modern day version of this...Can anyone possibly imagine this computer is 14 years old? :eek:
I really wish apple kept that design longer - its definitely one of my favorite designs of all time

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
No, I think people would complain.
  • AMD vs. nvidia
  • The touch bar is not needed, imo, I've more efficient with real function key
  • Its 2016, lets see the stock configuration using SSD, and then if higher storage is needed, provide the 2TB Fusion drive
  • Magic trackpad is not something I want or use, so I see no draw in having that being included for no charge.

As for the bevels and chin, I think that's only attainable if Apple removes the computer guts and puts them in a pizza box below like the Surface Studio.
[doublepost=1478178221][/doublepost]
I really wish apple kept that design longer - its definitely one of my favorite designs of all time
They could achieve the mockup design if they lived with a thicker backing instead of the bulge. All they need to support now port wise is Thunderbolt 3/USB-C.

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016

WHICH IS TOTALLY STUPID

Yeah, why no t(h)ick-tock releases?

Firebrand

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
Touch Bar made me remember this ‘doom scenario’:

:rolleyes: [ What if... U Can’t Touch This (Touch Bar)?!! ]

Rapp

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
I like the concept of a new keyboard with the TouchBar and Finger ID scanner. Also, continued improvement of the TrackPad.

But definitely do NOT want larger screens, curved screens or touch screens.

In fact, I'd actually prefer no screen at all. I would like just a box with some user accessibility and ability to drive external 4K or 5K displays. Perhaps something midway between a Mac Mini and the "new" Mac Pro. Design it with options that allow it to be marketed to either of those customers in addition to iMac customers. Then discontinue the Mini and Pro.

I'm perfectly content to select the display of my choice from Dell, Benq, etc. Lots of options at reasonable prices. For my needs, 4K is a sweeter price/performance spot than 5K.

The concept of having all my electronics inside a glued-together display is not appealing.

I would love this, i5 quad core and a full desktop GPU. There has been a hole in the line up for years between the iMac and Mac Pro that a desktop form factor would fill.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
My wishlist is: it actually being released.. years in a row they have a fall release, and I plan to buy one finally and that's the year they don't seem to release one. sigh..

Reactions: Icaras
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.