Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I’m returning my XS the battery sucks, now I’m having signal issues with the WiFi kicking off my own network when I’m right next to the router and I got no network errors on the google app, and my email wouldn’t refresh, when I had full LTE (screen shot below). I wish I saw these problems sooner before I sent my 8 back. I’m gonna get an X from Verizon instead and save a big whopping 100 bucks.

What do you guys think?

98472d50ee60efe8082c099ed4591fa4.png

Do you only have the no networking errors in the google app or is it system wide?

Some have reported slower wifi speeds but not what you are experiencing, that doesn’t seem normal.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You glossed over the substance of pretty much everything I said. I also never said anything about “removing” the 7.

I’ll repeat the key point succinctly so there’s no way it can get lost this time: talking about “people” or “most people” is irrelevant in the context of a product lineup.

Signed,
Product Development Guy
Maybe it was glossed over because your post was speculation written as fact. Outside of the decision makers at Apple no one knows the rational as to why the SE was removed from the lineup.

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Maybe it was glossed over because your post was speculation written as fact. Outside of the decision makers at Apple no one knows the rational as to why the SE was removed from the lineup.

Untrue. Go read what I said again. I made NO claims as fact. I claimed that the counter claim which was made as fact could not be proven.

I made a probabilistic inference—and classified it as such. That inference is based on:
A) knowing how large corporations make product lineup decisions (there is a process, and it’s quite standard), and
B) knowing 2 people who are fairly senior in finance at Apple and. While they say almost nothing about the details their work, nothing they have said leads me to believe that Apple is some magical company that doesn’t believe in standard financial analysis. Quite the opposite, actually.

Reactions: ipponrg

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Untrue. Go read what I said again. I made NO claims as fact. I claimed that the counter claim which was made as fact could not be proven.

I made a probabilistic inference—and classified it as such. That inference is based on:
A) knowing how large corporations make product lineup decisions (there is a process, and it’s quite standard), and
B) knowing 2 people who are fairly senior in finance at Apple and. While they say almost nothing about the details their work, nothing they have said leads me to believe that Apple is some magical company that doesn’t believe in standard financial analysis. Quite the opposite, actually.
A probabilistic inference is the same (synonym) as conjecture unless you have some “facts” to back up your conjecture.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

Many here don’t understand tech from a product management perspective, so often times inferences are misinterpreted as facts.

I read your original post and I agree with your assessment.

Reactions: john123

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
A probabilistic inference is the same (synonym) as conjecture unless you have some “facts” to back up your conjecture.
1) You said, "your post was speculation written as fact." That's simply not true. I classified what you're calling "conjecture" as a probabilistic inference, and provided the reasons I believed it to be the case. So, again, your claim is incorrect.
2) My follow-up post in response to yours provided even more facts that are reasons for my conjecture/speculation/inference. We can play the semantics game all day long, but you'll lose, because none of those things are synonymous with the word "fact," which is the word you used. I was quite clear.
3) You're still missing the most important point: that Glockworkorange made a claim without a warrant—i.e., that the SE was discontinued because "most people" want larger phones—and the entire point of my post was to point out that fact. You seem to think that because I said that, "A does not support B" in addition to "Here are some very plausible reasons that 'Not B' could be the case" that, somehow, I stated or implied "Not B is definitely true." I did no such thing, and a careful reading on your part will illustrate your error.

How 'bout I go ahead and quote my original post? Emphasis added. Facts underlined; bold is used for the two words that quite clearly refute your claim.
This logic is mistaken. Apple services its shareholders.

When producing a product line, things like profitability and cannibalization have to be considered.

To suggest that the SE was killed and not replaced because of lack of demand is an assumption not sufficiently supported by evidence. There is no doubt that a niche of customers desiring smaller devices exists. And niches do matter—otherwise we wouldn’t have multiple product lines to begin with.

It’s more likely that when the group responsible for projections did its financial analysis, they determined that overall profit would be better by simply offering the iPhone 7 at $449. Profitability has a lot of inputs.

TL/DR: Words matter.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
1) You said, "your post was speculation written as fact." That's simply not true. I classified what you're calling "conjecture" as a probabilistic inference, and provided the reasons I believed it to be the case. So, again, your claim is incorrect.
Your original post where you discussed “the many inputs to profitability” is not a treatise in profitablility but appears to be subtle conjecture masquerading as fact as to why the SE was discontinued. Pure speculation in your part.
2) My follow-up post in response to yours provided even more facts that are reasons for my conjecture/speculation/inference. We can play the semantics game all day long, but you'll lose, because none of those things are synonymous with the word "fact," which is the word you used. I was quite clear.
3) You're still missing the most important point: that Glockworkorange made a claim without a warrant—i.e., that the SE was discontinued because "most people" want larger phones—and the entire point of my post was to point out that fact. You seem to think that because I said that, "A does not support B" in addition to "Here are some very plausible reasons that 'Not B' could be the case" that, somehow, I stated or implied "Not B is definitely true." I did no such thing, and a careful reading on your part will illustrate your error.

How 'bout I go ahead and quote my original post? Emphasis added. Facts underlined; bold is used for the two words that quite clearly refute your claim.

TL/DR: Words matter.
TL/DR: “lipstick on a pig” doesn’t change the nature of the conjecture your posts. I fully understand you were replying to another poster but that doesn’t change either position as speculative.

Last edited:

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I expect an update that will ruin iP X battery life, so that Xs can have better battery life.
Apple was always good at those things ^^
Ah. I tend to assume this won’t be a throttle but a prevention against sudden breakdown..?
[doublepost=1538411267][/doublepost]
The iPhone X has the best battery life I ever experienced in any of my previous iPhones to be honest.
That says the more about the latter, I presume

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
Do you only have the no networking errors in the google app or is it system wide?

Some have reported slower wifi speeds but not what you are experiencing, that doesn’t seem normal.

Wouldn’t refresh my email either. It said no connection on the bottom I didn’t post a screenshot of that due to the sensitivity of the email content

john123

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2001
Your original post where you discussed “the many inputs to profitability” is not a treatise in profitablility but appears to be subtle conjecture masquerading as fact as to why the SE was discontinued. Pure speculation in your part.

TL/DR: “lipstick on a pig” doesn’t change the nature of the conjecture your posts. I fully understand you were replying to another poster but that doesn’t change either position as speculative.

I just can’t even.

Last edited:
Reactions: ipponrg

mritech

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2015
I was dead to the internet period that time. I brought the XS I got Verizon to meet me half way in the restocking fee. Another crock of BS cause it’s defective. I’m calling back and gonna haggle and I will send them my screen shots and screen video of the problem

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Ah. I tend to assume this won’t be a throttle but a prevention against sudden breakdown..?
[doublepost=1538411267][/doublepost]
That says the more about the latter, I presume
I don’t know, I’ve owned every number only iPhone generation and the 6s, and never felt so safe to get through one day, maaaaybe with the 7+, but not sure if it can compete.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.