2017 MacBook Air - A good buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rockitdog, Apr 27, 2019.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

My 2012 MBP has slowed to the point of almost being unusable for everyday tasks. It’s fine for the kids but for me, it’s awful. Last Saturday I bought an HP for $375 thinking I could handle Windows 10.... hate it. Machine feels cheap and when I went to run Avast anti-virus, I’ve got all sorts of issues with broken registry this and performance issues with that and I’m reminded why it’s been 12 years since I bought a Windows machine. Didn’t want to drop $1k on a Mac but saw that BestBuy has the previous gen MacBook Air onsale for $750 so I picked one up today just because sale could end tomorrow. I considering how long MBP has lasted, I think $750 is a decent price, my question is if it’s still a good buy today being that it’s from 2017. Thoughts?

2. niji Contributor

niji

excellent value. do it.
    will be able to handle yearly updated macOS versions for at least 3 more years, more likely 4.

3. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

For those that consider the non-retina display on the 2017 MBA to be a "blurry, pixelated mess", the answer is "no, not a good deal".

For the rest of us, yes that's a solid deal. 2 months ago, Amazon was blowing-out new i7 2017 MBAs for $799. I snatched one up. IMO, the 2017 MBA is the last of the great Apple notebooks. (I know many will disagree)

Congrats on the purchase. I'm not sure how much longer there'll be new 2017 MBAs for sale let alone ON sale. :)

4. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Can I also recommend putting an SSD in the MacBook Pro - SSDs are so cheap now and it will make it very useable.

5. TheOtherAndy macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's an okay value. I'm typing on one as we speak.

But, it's an okay value. You can largely fix the screen by looking up the terminal command to turn anti-aliasing back on. It's still worse than any modern Mac, and pretty much any $800 pc. But, it's the only way to get a new mac without the garbage-fire keyboard.

I do feel the need to make something clear: You did the classic Apple fanboy move of comparing one of the cheapest PC laptops you could find with a Mac costing over twice as much. I generally don't recommend HP (their bloatware is incredibly bad), but even an $800 HP would land you a laptop that is better in most respects (screen, performance, and even keyboard; HP does keyboards exceptionally well).

The 2017 Air is good if you want a reliable laptop with MacOS. That's worth something, but you have to be willing to put up with a fair amount of negatives compared to most other computers on the market.

6. rockitdog thread starter macrumors 68020

I’m not looking for the best screen or for power. Just a laptop that gets basic tasks done. It keeps me in the eco system gets me out of the Windows headache.

7. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

I'm not sure what you consider everyday tasks, but I'm surprised that your 2012 MBP can't handle what you need. Did you install a SSD in it? If not, you could just swap out the HDD for a nice SSD drive and have a perfectly workable machine back in your hands. I use a 2018 MBP, but also have a 2012 and 2009 lying around with SSD drives. Both are perfectly good devices still.

8. TheOtherAndy macrumors newbie

As others have said, a 2012 MBP with an SSD swap should be plenty of power. Heck, my 2009 MB is fine for "basic tasks".

9. Nbd1790 macrumors regular

SSD and RAM upgrade will most likely be the cheapest way to get what you need. It will drastically improve the performance. I have a lot of friends still running that MBP with those upgrades and to be quite honest it's still very good. The 2017 MBA is still a great computer (if purchased at the right price). I believe B&H has the top spec model for about $1100 (down from a retail of $1600) which is a great value in my opinion.

10. Sword86 macrumors regular

I know I’m a little late to this party, but I still run a late-2008 MB alum. unibody as my everyday computer. I have an OWC SSD and 8 gig of ram.
    I run El Capitan and it is great. I look at the prices  wants for me to come into this century and freak out. I do most stuff on an ipad but my Macbook is just fine in my opinion. I could afford what it
    would cost me for whatever, but why? All I do is e-mail and a bit of surfing. S

11. smirking macrumors 68000

smirking

If you're fine with what you have, there's almost never a good reason to upgrade. You could even update your machine to Mojave with a Mojave patcher if you want.

I have a 2018 MBP and a 2009 Unibody as a backup. If all I did was email and Web surfing, I'd be fine on the 2009.

12. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

Then the answer is a resounding hell yes. There’s absolutely nothing “wrong” with a 2017 Air. It’s just out dated. The screen doesn’t look the best, but after a half hour you get used to it. Really

BUT: if price is the issue then I ask, have you checked out used MacBook pros? You could get one with an ssd and retina screen for the same price

13. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

There's plenty of uses for a computer that don't require that. It's certainly lovely if you do a lot of work with video, but it's definitely not a dealbreaker for many people.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

I think it will matter more and more in the future just for watching video.

16. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

If you like a keyboard that works and would like to retain traditional USB ports and an SD card reader, it’s a great buy. I just bought a maxed 2017 MBA from B&H photo for $500 off.