2017 MacBook Pro - to feature AMD's Ryzen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iBrooker, Apr 10, 2017.

1. iBrooker macrumors 6502

What do you think?

http://architosh.com/2017/02/will-a...s-new-ryzen-chips-look-smart-for-future-macs/

http://www.telegiz.com/articles/169...to-see-a-price-cut-in-second-half-of-2017.htm

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Have you seen anything to indicate chips suitable for laptops will be available this year? (That second article appears to mash up two unrelated stories.)

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I think the bigger question is, if Apple goes to AMD, will the MacBook Pro prices reflect this change? :)

4. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Considering the amount of reworking it would require, I would say yes.

5. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

It can't have Thunderbolt 3 without Intel, so switching to AMD would mean they would ditch Thunderbolt - so, no, I don't think they'll do that.

6. Ries macrumors 68000

7. leman macrumors 604

Once Ryzen is actually faster and offers TB3, sure, why not. Until then, we are kind of stuck with Intel. There is no doubt that Ryzen offers a much better price-to-performance ratio, but Apple always went for high-end stuff here.

8. Ries macrumors 68000

They put mediocre GPU's into the macbook pro's for years and they changed the mac mini from 4 cores to 2 cores. They're perfectly fine with putting something slower into a system if it benefits their bottomline.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think Apple will use AMD, because all AMD machines I've seen are budget machines, and Apple is a premium brand. I don't think they want to risk watering down that perception.

10. bluebeach macrumors newbie

Pleeeeease apple do it, I need 32GB DDR4 RAM. It would be power house and cheaper. It's a win-win situation for both apple and apple fans.

11. xxray macrumors 6502

12. robvas macrumors 68020

Don't forget you'd lose things like Airplay that require Intel CPU's

13. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It would definitely make sense for the MacBook Pro 15" without dGPU.

Intel has killed of Iris Pro.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2017 ---
    Apple doesn't have anything to replace 15" MBP without dGPU because Intel killed of Iris Pro.

AMD Raven Ridge fits the spot well.

14. cube macrumors G5

Non-Ryzen machines are budget.

15. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Even if they want to switch or partner up with AMD, it's going to take at least couple generations for us the viable product in our hands.

There are genius engineers at Apple, probably proposed this and as well as tried to show the results and possibilities. Making a computer is not a 6 month process, it takes years to master the designs and work the specs. Who knows, maybe there is a golden AMD machine lying on top of Dan's or Schiller's table right now ?

As an Intel user in all my computers (work and home), this is the first time I would like to use an AMD in my favorite brand to be honest. But it wasn't like this 5 years ago or even a year ago.

Stating Intel is a premium market leader and kinda holds the monopoly on processors, I would like to see them get challenged and sweat a little bit. ( Remember when they fired 12.000 in a day )

Personally, my ideas have shifted about Intel being premium brand and I must have it in my computers to; well, I want the most bang for my buck and I don't care shifting to AMD from Intel if its going to give me the best MBP experience.

And another thing, I don't really know how much of the Apple's new user base does care about Intel or AMD like we do ? I mean, the new customer base that buys Apple products and the new base that they want to sell, because its "APPLE, cool, slick, OMG maaaaan its MBP, Hey I am at Starbucks with my TB MBP sending out emojis like a boss holding my unicorn venti frappacino (??) and snapchatting with my girls "

16. JMacHack macrumors 6502

A few things to consider putting yourself in Apple's shoes:
    1. How's Ryzen's power consumption compared to Kaby Lake?
    2. How's Ryzen's TDP compared to Kaby Lake?
    3. Cost of Kaby Lake vs. Ryzen + TB3 controller?
    4. Will a MB redesign be required to implement said controller?
    I too, love strawmen.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

18. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Absolutely correct.

I can find the answers to your questions like everyone else form their websites and from their technical specs papers. Besides end-user information , thats why they have teams of enginneers to create different specs from different companies to try and test out the upcoming models for a long periods of time.

I generally rely on their technical specs as they publish and make guesses from there on how would they perform,cost and etc.

As a project manager stand point, as I also do in my office is to create a SWOT analysis to see whether in can work or not.

19. cube macrumors G5

You cannot equate the old processes and architecture with the newer ones.

20. pmau macrumors 65816

Intel and AMD get most of their performance by boosting clock speeds as temperature allows them to.
    The problem with mobile designs - especially Apples obsession with thinness and fans - will almost always lead to reduced performance compared to desktop builds.
    Every CPU runs hot, the trick is to have proper cooling and not having to rely on peak numbers to get decent performance.

21. daihard macrumors 6502a

daihard

In your mind, is "a premium brand" (or at least its image) incompatible with the Ryzen 7? Just because something is expensive, doesn't make it a premium product.

22. cube macrumors G5

Actually, AMD consumer CPUs could be considered more premium than Intel's as they support ECC since a very long time.

23. robvas macrumors 68020

I would imagine that Apple has some AMD Macs humming along somewhere. Just like they had OS X running on Intel and people denied they would ever do that until Jobs announced it.

24. serkan macrumors 6502

serkan

Definetly. I believe before we even see the products, the manufacturers and Apple must be sitting down and trying possible products months and months before.

I remember seeing the released pictures of the first iPhone's demos in where they had hundreds of different materials and styles with different specs to choose from.

If vloggers can get products month before launch to try and post a video on Youtube, Apple must have amazing things in their vault at Cupertino :)