2017 Mirage Will Be First Mitsubishi Vehicle in U.S. to Support CarPlay

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 24, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Mitsubishi has announced that the 2017 Mirage will feature both CarPlay and Android Auto, becoming the first Mitsubishi vehicle in the U.S. to support Apple's in-dash system. The new subcompact hatchback, introduced at the 2015 Los Angeles Auto Show, is positioned as Mitsubishi's entry-level vehicle in its current lineup.

[​IMG]
    Mitsubishi's 2017 Mirage GT

Mitsubishi also unveiled its 2016 Outlander Sport with a 6.1" in-dash touchscreen, but the crossover still uses the Japanese carmaker's proprietary audio system. Mitsubishi plans to expand CarPlay to future vehicles in multiple markets, but the carmaker's popular Lancer and Outlander models remain without CarPlay in the U.S.

Mitsubishi joins several other CarPlay partners, including Cadillac, Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Honda, Porsche and Volkswagen. Apple says several other automakers are committed to the platform, including BMW, Dodge, Ford, Kia, Mercedes-Benz, Nissan and Toyota, but few have disclosed their plans.

[​IMG]
    CarPlay in Mitsubishi's 2017 Mirage GT

Mitsubishi's 2016 Pajero also features CarPlay in Australia and select European markets.

Article Link: 2017 Mirage Will Be First Mitsubishi Vehicle in U.S. to Support CarPlay

2. meaning-matters macrumors 6502

meaning-matters

Nice how Apple uses (other) car manufacturers as guinea pigs.

3. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

Is that the Mitsubishi Mirage brought to us by Fiat? I don't remember them being so.....rollerskate like.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

I wished Ford was part of the group.

5. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

I can predict many threads/news like this next year and the year after that. I think rather than reporting each manufacturer's support, there should be a master list accessible by everyone.

6. macintologist macrumors 6502

I would much rather just buy a custom mount for my iPhone and run whatever GPS apps I want. No Waze, no Google Maps on CarPlay? Meh.

7. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Looks like a standard Double Din stereo in those cars. Could likely buy the base model, and hit up Crutchfield (or similar) for a good aftermarket radio option.

8. adamneer macrumors 6502

You probably don't remember them that way because the Mirage USED to be the US badged version of the Lancer, which eventually became the US name as well. But I assume that since the majority of the Lancer's appeal and sales went solely to the performance model Evolution (Evo), they decided they could "bring back" the Mirage as their budget compact, even though technically it is an all new vehicle in their lineup.

9. Z400Racer37 macrumors 6502a

10. MistrSynistr macrumors 65816

Do people actually buy Mitsubishi vehicles?

I'm so perplexed by this.

11. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Wow. Very retro look! That was the intention, wasn't it? :confused:

12. YegorH macrumors regular

2017 Mitsubishi Mirage Will Be the Worst Vehicle in U.S. to Support CarPlay.

Here we go, fixed the title for you.

13. stevenshizzle macrumors member

I didn't even know Mitsubishi still made cars.

14. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

What's with the hate for the Mitsubishi Mirage? Can anyone else show a better-looking new car that costs $13,000 and comes with a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty?

15. 2457282 Suspended

They did the same thing with the phone. I remember my first itunes phone. The link is to the motorola ROKR.

16. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

I really want Google Maps on Car Play as an option.

Does anyone know how CarPlay apps work? Can Google create an app if they wanted to, or does Apple only allow certain partners to develop CarPlay apps?

17. StevieD100 macrumors 6502a

StevieD100

Yes they do. I have a 2015 Outlander PHEV. Optional 4WD, 20 miles on a charge. Very comfortable too.

18. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

19. Jbs541 macrumors newbie

Jbs541

Agreed, CarPlay is too limited at its current state. An aftermarket unit would give you more flexibility as well as bang for your buck.

20. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

No they can't cars like this are below them :rolleyes:

21. WWPD macrumors regular

WWPD

The funny thing is that the car looks like a guinea pig as well.

22. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

2016 Hyundai Accent, $14.5K, 100K/10YR warranty. A little more money but am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for". After 3 blown engines in Mitsushitty Montero, I'll never buy another. Like others, I didn't even know they still made cars!

23. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

24. Waxhead138 macrumors 6502

Thanks, that actually does explain it.

25. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Tried out CarPlay yesterday... I want it to be... more, I guess.

Maybe it was the stereo, but I want Bluetooth capability to link, and not have another USB port on my dash.

But, then again, having the USB lets me charge my phone, and I do that anyway.

Well, there you have it. I talked myself back into liking it!