2017 or 2018 13inch MBP? Are the screen issues fixed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by salvator, Dec 13, 2018.

1. salvator macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    So am on the look out for a new machine.

Having used the 2014 RMBP which went through 3 screen repairs and the 2015 MBP which went through 4 screen repairs. Almost all the time the issue being related to backlight bleeding, yellow tints and screen uniformity.

I'm in the market for a new one and my options are the 13inch 2018 MBP vs 13inch 2017 256GB MBP

MY CONCERNS
    1) THE SCREENS! Since i went through totally 7 screen repairs on two machines, do the new MBP screens suffer from uniformity tint and light bleed issues or has apple fixed it

2) THE KEYBOARD! heard horror stories of it so what is the scenario, are the 2018 ones fixed?

3) COLOR! Space grey vs Silver....... Many reports over the discoloration on space grey over time what is your take.

Basically is the touch bar and quad core worth the extra 300 bucks.

Also I'm going to ask for it from another country so won't have the liberty of exchange and returns hence I'm scared for the screens based on my past struggles.

Would love your input!

2. Camark08 macrumors member

I have the 2017 gray 13 inch MacBook pro tb. I love the keyboard. The outer shell does get alot of dust but the color has held up fine. The 2016 and 2017 mbp have a 4 year warranty on the keyboard to. I have had 0 issues. Its plenty fast. The new quad core seems intriguing but I will wait until 2020 at earliest to upgrade. The SSD is light years ahead of some other top laptops too.

3. salvator thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the feedback, how are the screens?
    also do you suggest a 2017 non touch bar or a 2018 touch bar, diff is 300 bucks

4. Camark08 macrumors member

The screens amazing. I haven't heard of any issues regarding them. The 2018 tb by far. It has 2 extra cores and an extra fan and 2 more USB c ports.

5. Te0SX macrumors regular

Te0SX

The Gen 3 Butterfly keyboard didn't fix the issue at all. The problem exist everywhere and I found it weird people who are looking for a laptop haven't searched and found the last news about this topic, it's everywhere. Here is a couple links:

great thread, check as much pages as you can
    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/gen-3-butterfly-keyboard.2127111
    https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ard-issues-with-the-macbook-air-2018.2155508/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8536157?page=1

Just look around here, on reddit, on youtube, on Apple Discussion site etc. It's everywhere. Apple should be embarrassed. At least they should add every future laptop with butterfly to the free repair program, though 2018 models haven't gotten there yet.

Tim has told us he comes from low-middle class family, but he doesn't give a **** if two parents save money for months or years to finally buy their children one macbook and in few months the same company asks $400~$700 to fix 2 ****ing keys.... It's just unbelievable!

While I'll buy a laptop the the next year, it won't be macbook for sure if they haven't completely fix the issue.

6. salvator thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks a lot! are you rocking the space grey or silver?

dam this is so disappointing, does this mean i should avoid the mac line up?

don't want to go through the whole repair circus ********!

i'm alternatively considering the dell xps 13, any other suggestions?