Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I'm a Jarno Trulli fan. How did Jarno Trulli do?

Max should have given him room. Ocon has proven time and time again he is an idiot.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Ocon was in the wrong, but I did feel sorry for Max. He looked like a clear winner.

Given his comments on the radio, I think RBR could have met him straight after the race as it was clear he was going to lose it when he caught Ocon at the weight in.
Still it wasn’t a Schumacher verses Cultard was it? Just a bit of nothing!

But overall a good exciting race.

No, but it may have been. Max was very aggressive. Knocked Estban off the scales. FIA officials had to separate him twice before Max left the weigh in area. Good video of it on reddit. I think RBR may have been attempting to meet him at the car. As soon as he parked he jumped out and ran straight to the weigh in area. Bottas seemed to enjoy the action from the sidelines in the room. :apple:

Reactions: pachyderm

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Brundle did say that but he also agreed with Lewis’s post race sentiment about avoiding that position. Max was pissed because he didn’t realise lapped cars could unlap themselves. I seem to recall Senna and Barrichello having a similar incident without the crash.

Oh ok, so now your implying Max doesn’t know the rules of F1?

No point arguing against anyone here as you’ve all automatically put the blame on Max, and chosen to throw out the F1 rule book! No it’s Max’s fault and no one else and that’s that right?

Can’t wait for him to win more races and put some of you lot nose and opinions out of joint!
[doublepost=1542029587][/doublepost]
No, but it may have been. Max was very aggressive. Knocked Estban off the scales. FIA officials had to separate him twice before Max left the weigh in area. Good video of it on reddit. I think RBR may have been attempting to meet him at the car. As soon as he parked he jumped out and ran straight to the weigh in area. Bottas seemed to enjoy the action from the sidelines in the room. :apple:

I believe Ocon went up to Max and tried to shake his hand etc, they have a lot of bad history apparently and considering Ocon was totally to blame for ruining Red Bulls race, he’s lucky he only got shoved as Christian stated..
[doublepost=1542029920][/doublepost]Here we go, Brundle did NOT have a lot of sympathy for Ocon at all:

Reactions: Glideslope

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

No point arguing against anyone here as you’ve all automatically put the blame on Max, and chosen to throw out the F1 rule book! No it’s Max’s fault and no one else and that’s that right?

Can’t wait for him to win more races and put some of you lot nose and opinions out of joint!

I believe Ocon went up to Max and tried to shake his hand etc, they have a lot of bad history apparently and considering Ocon was totally to blame for ruining Red Bulls race, he’s lucky he only got shoved as Christian stated..
[doublepost=1542029920][/doublepost]Here we go, Brundle did NOT have a lot of sympathy for Ocon at all:

Pretty sure I didn’t say it was Max’s fault. The exact opposite in fact.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK

I’ve already said that Ocon was to blame. I’m saying that Max did not need to be in that position.

The Brundle discussion was that Ocon was at fault, but when I watched the race live, post race Brundle noted that Hamilton in the podium room had echoed some of his thoughts that Max was engaging in a fight he didn’t have to.

I don’t think anyone on this board would disagree that Max could be a world champion given the right car and more consistency. These are the same things we said about Lewis and he kicked on and is now probably the best driver of the field.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
In F1 racing, as in many other situations in life, it is possible to be 100% legally right, and still end up losing.

The stewards could have given Ocon a 1-minute penalty. They could have black-flagged him or given him a race suspension. But they simply could not move Max Verstappen ahead of Lewis Hamilton by so much as a second.

Verstappen made a mistake. That's what maturity and experience teach drivers like Hamilton. That when passing back-markers you need to be extra careful. You need to keep your eye on the big picture. That sometimes you don't need to be a "hero", that nobody really would have cared if Verstappen beat Hamilton by 5 seconds or 55 seconds. Verstappen should have been patient. Hamilton wasn't catching up to him. With Hamilton's tire situation that simply wasn't going to happen.

Compare Verstappen's action passing Ocon with the way Hamilton dealt with back-markers when he had regained the lead, and Verstappen actually was catching up to him. Super, super careful.

Imagine Verstappen really did catch and pass Hamilton on lap 67. Hamilton would be disappointed not to have won the race. But still better for his record, and his team's Constructors Championship, to finish the race high in the points, rather than spin out trying to rush your way past a lapped back marker.

I think it was Nicki Lauda who said it: The best way to win an F1 race is to do it as slowly as possible.

Christian Horner has some work to do over the off-season. Verstappen is an incredible talent and likely the future of F1. But he's still got some growing up to do.
At last someone with a sensible view. No matter how wrong Ocon was Vestappen could have avoided the accident if he was a smarter driver. if you look at the video just before the corner he should have clearly seen that OCON was almost parallel with him and on his right. Giving him room would have been the smart decision.

Last edited:

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
The accident actually started on the straight before the contact anyway. Why was Max defending against a lapped car? Had he given Ocon the inside line, Ocon would've had him at the first apex and then driven off on his fresh tyres. Why did Max defend?

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK

Official Formula 1 YouTube video. One day after the race, and clip number four particularly good: who says F1 isn’t better with Liberty?!

Akrapovic

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland

Official Formula 1 YouTube video. One day after the race, and clip number four particularly good: who says F1 isn’t better with Liberty?!

It is better for sure, but Liberty have blocked it from being embedded here lol.

Edit: This video needs a warning: James Allen commentary can be heard. Prepare yourself.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
It is better for sure, but Liberty have blocked it from being embedded here lol.

Edit: This video needs a warning: James Allen commentary can be heard. Prepare yourself.

Ha hadn’t checked that. Just love the sense of fun here.

I don’t mind Allen. His website is very good and shows he had a genuine passion for the sport, unlike Jonathan Legard *shudders*.

Reactions: Akrapovic

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
I don’t think anyone on this board would disagree that Max could be a world champion given the right car and more consistency. These are the same things we said about Lewis and he kicked on and is now probably the best driver of the field.

Max is a hot-headed 20-something athlete. Shouldn’t really surprise anyone. Lots of 20-somethings are hot headed—athletes doubly so. But his biggest adversary is himself, and as soon as he can get out of his own way (if he can), he’s going to win a world championship.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2018...kubica-agrees-deal-for-williams-f1-race-seat/

Kubica to return for Williams. Better than Sorotkin but worse than Ocon IMHO: if Russell blows him away will it because he’s better or because Kubica isn’t the driver he was? At least Kubica will give better feedback than the current line-up.
By blows him away you mean finishes second from last?

To have the best engine in the field and still finish last shows what a Turkey the 2018 car is. I do hope they can get it together for 2019.
McLaren and Williams are my two favourite teams and both are at the back of the grid.

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
By blows him away you mean finishes second from last?

To have the best engine in the field and still finish last shows what a Turkey the 2018 car is. I do hope they can get it together for 2019.
McLaren and Williams are my two favourite teams and both are at the back of the grid.

I’m the same; wasn’t necessarily a fan of McLaren initially [loved Nigel Mansell and Jacques Villeneuve] but really got into them with the duo of JB and LH.

Re “blow him away” - Ericcson and Vandoorne have been outqualified something like 1:16 and outraced in the majority of those. Yes they’re at the back but Vandoorne has rarely shown any fight against Fernando, regardless of how good we think FA is. If the same happens at Williams or with Lando Norris then there will be problems as neither team can afford to have a deadweight.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’m the same; wasn’t necessarily a fan of McLaren initially [loved Nigel Mansell and Jacques Villeneuve] but really got into them with the duo of JB and LH.

Re “blow him away” - Ericcson and Vandoorne have been outqualified something like 1:16 and outraced in the majority of those. Yes they’re at the back but Vandoorne has rarely shown any fight against Fernando, regardless of how good we think FA is. If the same happens at Williams or with Lando Norris then there will be problems as neither team can afford to have a deadweight.
I think Kubica will do okay. I’d love to see him prove the doubters wrong.

Did you see this F3 crash?
Scary

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
I think Kubica will do okay. I’d love to see him prove the doubters wrong.

Did you see this F3 crash?
Scary

I’d heard about but hadn’t seen it. The first clip in the video below looks even worse.

She basically hit the stand top roll cage first. That is the worst crash I’ve seen since the Mercedes ar Le Mans when they had rear wing failures. I suspect she didn’t hit her head on the gangway but the fracture(s) instead are from the deceleration force.

The BBC website says she was launched over a car then hit the yellow car then into the gangway. This is why those changes to the 2021 car to prevent launches like Indy did after the Dan Wheldon incident are so important.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So Force India is now "Racing Point"?
Not pointless racing? Sorry that’s the new name for Mclaren!

Not expecting a good finale to the season. Abu Dhabi doesn’t usually give us a great race. Plus everything is decided.
Would love Ricardo to at least get a podium.
Also some racing from Alonso would be fitting.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Not pointless racing? Sorry that’s the new name for Mclaren!

Not expecting a good finale to the season. Abu Dhabi doesn’t usually give us a great race. Plus everything is decided.
Would love Ricardo to at least get a podium.
Also some racing from Alonso would be fitting.

Haha pointless racing, no pun intended.

Alonso looks good in qualy but the car is horrid. Wanted to see Red Bull a bit closer but it doesn't look like they have the pace to challenge the top 4 this weekend.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Haha pointless racing, no pun intended.

Alonso looks good in qualy but the car is horrid. Wanted to see Red Bull a bit closer but it doesn't look like they have the pace to challenge the top 4 this weekend.
Did you see the bosses press conference? Totto was talking about Occon being their reserve driver and it being a learning year. Christian chipped in could they teach him what the flags mean?
If looks could kill!
[doublepost=1543068381][/doublepost]Mercedes 1-2, Ferrari 3-4, RBR 5-6.
True to form then!

Max starts on the softer tyres so maybe quicker off the line. But will run out of rubber sooner than the rest.
At least it’s not on at stupid O’clock!

MOFS

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2003
Durham, UK
Nasty accident at the start. Halo traps Hulkenberg in his car until it’s flipped by marshals. So how would that work if he was injured? Or the fire was more serious?

I think the issue is the way it landed. In the FIA tests apparently it didn't affect extraction. The set up of the walls lead to the issue here.

Good to see Verstappen and Ocon have *ahem* kissed and mad up. Didn't think it would happen on track like. :p

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I think the issue is the way it landed. In the FIA tests apparently it didn't affect extraction. The set up of the walls lead to the issue here.

Good to see Verstappen and Ocon have *ahem* kissed and mad up. Didn't think it would happen on track like. :p
I was disappointed Ocon bailed out.

Rain in the desert? How unusual!

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Wow what a race! Because they aren’t bothered anymore all the gloves are off!

That Renault crash was lucky as they said the halo makes it difficult to get the driver out, and it was on fire! But I loved the drivers response to his team ******* hanging like a cow! Lol...

Fantastic fast work by the stewards and staff!

Maxy ramming Ocon, dear oh dear, he was angry today!

And poor Kimi, with his car basically giving up.

I fancy Leclerc next year, because he’s driving for Ferrari right? Anyone else? I think he may be a hungry driver out to win next year?

I fancy putting my bet on Max and Leclerc next year.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.