2018 iPhone X Successor Could Feature Up to 10% More Powerful Battery With New 1-Cell Design

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 7, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Next year's version of the iPhone X could feature up to 10 percent more battery power if Apple and LG Chem are able to deploy a one-cell design for the device's L-shaped battery, as opposed to the two-cell battery used in the iPhone X, according to a report from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo that was obtained by MacRumors.

Kuo says the more space efficient one-cell design would allow Apple to boost battery capacity from 2716 mAh in the iPhone X to somewhere between 2900 and 3000 mAh for next year's 5.8-inch iPhone.

As he previously claimed, Kuo believes Apple will release three new iPhones with TrueDepth cameras next year: a larger 6.5-inch OLED model that can be thought of as an "iPhone X Plus", a 5.8-inch OLED successor to the iPhone X, and a 6.1-inch LCD model. Today's report says that Apple is likely to use a two-cell battery design in the 6.5-inch model, but the larger size of the device will still allow it to have a capacity in the range of 3300 to 3400 mAh.

[​IMG]

Some observers were surprised to see a two-cell battery inside the iPhone X when it was opened up by iFixit just after its launch, but there are technical challenges involved in producing non-rectangular battery cells, challenges Apple was unable to overcome in time for the iPhone X.

[​IMG]
    iPhone X battery from iFixit's teardown

With device space at a premium and a number of power-hungry components like the TrueDepth camera, however, it's unsurprising that Apple and its supply chain partners are pushing forward to develop a one-cell design to provide more battery capacity within the same volume.

Article Link: 2018 iPhone X Successor Could Feature Up to 10% More Powerful Battery With New 1-Cell Design

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Translation: Next year's iPhones will be thinner yet, with same battery life.

3. benlukes macrumors member

I hope not.

I just skimmed the article, so maybe I missed it. What does RFPCB ASP stand for?

4. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

BREAKING NEWS! Better battery on newer version!

I bet they come with a faster processor too.

5. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

I’m always in favor of more battery life, but what will truly be gained with powering larger displays?

6. haunebu macrumors member

The next-generation product might be marginally better? Whoa!

7. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

Maybe my reading comprehension is a bit off tonight, but don't those first two paragraphs contradict each other?

"...10 percent more battery power if Apple and LG Chem are able to deploy a one-cell design for the device's L-shaped battery, as opposed to the two-cell battery used in the iPhone X..."

"...the more space efficient two-cell design would allow Apple to boost battery capacity from 2716 mAh in the iPhone X to somewhere between 2900 and 3000 mAh for next year's 5.8-inch iPhone"

8. Ad13 macrumors regular

Just make the battery bigger and don’t make the iPhone thinner. Problem solved!

9. carrrrrlos macrumors 6502a

carrrrrlos

10. dumastudetto macrumors 68030

11. ghost187 macrumors 6502a

ghost187

Those 6.5" iPhone battery numbers seem a bit low to be honest. Either those numbers are wrong, or the 6.5" will have additional hardware for exclusive features (which will outrage our macrumors readers :D).

It is unbelievable how much they crammed into the 5.8" iPhone already though.

12. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Your reading comprehension is spot on. It’s a typo for sure

13. thisisnotmyname, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017

thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

radio frequency printed circuit board

edit: I'm wrong, as someone below said "rigid flexible" rather than radio frequency.

14. torukawahata macrumors member

torukawahata

I thought I was crazy! Definitely a typo

15. thisisnotmyname macrumors 68000

thisisnotmyname

I believe the author made a mistake and meant to say one-cell in the second sentence.

16. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

I wish phone batteries would last for days or even weeks instead of a few hours. I even bring a battery pack with me with the amount of times I have to charge my phone per day.

#Batteries4LastLonger

17. PickUrPoison, Dec 7, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

It refers to the iPhone’s Rigid Flexible Printed Circuit Board. It’s the PCB for a majority of the iPhone’s components. ASP is average selling price.

Maybe it has the same footprint as the battery, might be back to back. I haven’t looked at the tear down.

18. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Refers to the higher cost (average selling price of $2.1-2.4) of the printed circuit board component of the supposed 1-cell L-shaped batteries rumored to be coming to the 5.8" 2018 OLED units.

19. JPack macrumors 68030

JPack

This info basically confirms a thin-bezel “SE2” won’t exist. No surprise given the market preference for large displays.

Since the affordable 6.1” LCD iPhone uses a rectangular battery and logic board to save costs, a hypothetical SE2 phone with a smaller chassis (4.7” and smaller) won’t have space to hold a large enough battery to adequately power a large area, thin-bezel display.

20. Westside guy macrumors 603

Westside guy

If they end up using a two-cell battery again next year, we'll probably hear a string of Apple executives mentioning the talking point that they had never, ever intended to use a non-rectangular single-cell battery in the phone.

21. scott523, Dec 7, 2017

scott523 macrumors 6502a

I’m thinking it’s a typo as well. The article wording has room for improvement.

I’m guessing they wrote two-cell because the attached photo mentioning two-cell but it still makes no sense.

Now I’m wondering why make a bigger LCD screen? How would the human interface guidelines adapt for the change in size?

22. PickUrPoison, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

The chart takes into account two possible options for next year: a two-cell 2716 mAh battery like this year; or a one-cell battery, which would be more space efficient and thus would have about 10% more capacity, so 2900-3000 mAh in the same space.

23. Geert76 macrumors 65816

the all new 2018 (oled) iPhone with a base storage of 128Gb, just $ 1079/€ 1199
    the all new 6inch 2018 (oled) iPhone with a base storage of 128Gb, just $ 1199 / € 1329

24. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

The ideal scenario would be that the whole back of the phone was a thin battery, AND the phone backs were clipped on tightly.
    The you could buy perhaps 4 different phone backs depending on your needs.

25. lwells1441 macrumors member

lwells1441

There is SO much wrong with this article.

1.) Not 10% more powerful. It would be 10% more energy.
    2.) Apple can already make non rectangular batteries. They advertised it well with the 'terraced battery'.
    3.) Apple does not need LG to do squat. They get most of their cells from revolving smaller Chinese suppliers.

The issue isn't a technological one. It's cost. Non-rectangular cells mean that the electrodes cannot be 'wound'. This requires stacking electrodes which produces a lot more waste and requires a lot more automation.