2018 iPhones May Feature Faster and More Efficient Wireless Charging With Switch to Copper Coil

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 20, 2018.

1. calstanford macrumors regular

It's really ridiculous how Apple messes these things up. They're 5 years late on Qi and now they realise they haven't put copper in? Every other manufacturer has done this year ago. You can charge a Samsung twice as fast in 2015 than you can charge an iPhone in 2018.
    But hey - just spend another $1000 this year to get the real real iPhone X/8. The one we should have released last year.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 20, 2018 ---
    You do realise you missed out on the last S, right?

After the 6S came the 7. The "7S" just happens to be called 8.

2. forerunnerg34 macrumors 6502

forerunnerg34

We don't know yet if this change will result in any noticeable, faster wireless charging. We have yet to see if they mention that on a keynote, one thing I have learned from Apple is that if it is not mentioned in the keynote then is cheap parts or cheap engineering, if its mentioned maybe not.

3. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I wouldn't want a thicker device for slightly better wireless charging. I am fine with that trade off.
    Fine by me, I don't have an issue with the current charging method though.

4. Bornee35 macrumors 6502

Bornee35

i am interested in seeing in what way the airpower "exclusively" charges the watches.

5. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

sooo in other words, more expensive.

6. oddiecz macrumors member

One thing that slightly worries me is that in terms of processor bumps, wasn't last year the "S" (big jump in performance) year? I always got the S models as they had a greater longevity than non-S models (the 3GS chugged along while iOS 4 killed the 3G, the 64 bit processor in the 5S made it run great for years, iOS 11 basically killed the iPhone 6, but the 6S runs like a champ, and next to the 8, the 7 has aged very quickly.) Will the A12 be one of the big jumps that allows my phone to run great for years, or will the big jump in performance come next year? Or, final third option - are we past the era of big jumps and will see modest improvements from here on out? The X coming out on an "S" year has made things complicated for me.

7. McTool macrumors 6502

McTool

“Chargers routinely offer up to 15W”
    Couldn’t be more wrong.

8. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

It should be compatible with Qi chargers, all this is saying is that with the present 7.5W chargers and coil the amount of power loss almost equals the 5W wired charging method. With a copper coil there will be less power loss, so it may charge at 7.0W vice 5W approximately. May shave off 30 mins to an hour charging time compared to the iPhone 8/X 2017 models. Now if Apple adopts the 15W Qi charging would be better, however I get this feeling their are milking it for the 2019 models.
    Similar to people believing data transfer speeds USB 3, etc. In reality the speed of anything is slightly better than half of the theoretical advertised speed.
    it was going to be more expensive due to traffics alone. No surprise there.

9. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

I could be more wrong, but I'm not. Have you never used Amazon? Heck, even Belkin's Boost Up Wireless Charger offers 15W wireless charging.

10. code-m, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018

code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

If AirPower cost more than $99 USD it is already overpriced for the function and benefit it offers. I don’t know many people who travel packing another device (mat) for convenience, when travelling one prefers less, light and portable.
    Boost Up wireless charging works when a device is at 0-20% and will increase the charge wattage to the device till it reaches a 80% charge before lowering the wattage. This reduces battery life if it is constantly used. Great for emergencies, not to be used on a daily basis.
    Minor improvement to power loss during charging. I say it would shave off 30 mins to an hour per charge depending on percentage. Nothing worth writing home about.

11. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

How many years do you guys think we'll have to wait for 10w wireless charging from Apple?

12. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Apple relies on advertising to undo common sense. Apple products are fashion statements. Performance is not important, being reliable is not important, outside of security being advanced is not important, being in fashion is.

13. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

One of the phones? It’s likely the high end one will have this...

14. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Apologies, but my comment had nothing to do with how wireless charging works. I simply stated that companies are routinely offering up to 15W charging. It was in response to a query regarding whether or not companies would have to make more powerful chargers to cope with Apple's rumored better fast charging.

15. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Apple milks its customers, as most are blind followers. It is a fashion statement that is covered in a case.
    Apologies, I may have misunderstood. If Apple sticks to the 7.5W Qi charging spec then even the 10W Qi chargers available will work. The Qi standard is not being changed just the material in the phone to charge.

16. blacktape242 macrumors 68000

blacktape242

its going to be more expensive alone because its apple. gone are the days of updated products in the same price range like it used to be.

17. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

If true, with the cost of copper as high as it is, I think this would go only into the more expensive plus models. That’s a LOT of copper for Apple to source.

18. chrisbru macrumors 6502a

chrisbru

...what?

19. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

I am sure a minor cut into its profits can offset the present cost until prices even out. Who am I kidding here, this is Apple. iPhone X+ Starting at $1050 USD for 64GB of base storage. Add Apple Pencil 2.0 for $99 USD. Add AppleCare, at the end of it all you will spend $1500 USD the cost of a MacBook.

20. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

It’s going to be more expensive because it COPPER

21. code-m macrumors 65816

code-m

Sounds like the same narrative when the 2017 iPhone X was released, it is more expensive because it has a glass back and stainless steel rim. Same story different year. I am sure in 2019 it will be something else. Wake me up when this thing is released at a competitive price, yawn.

22. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

Copper is not gold, and, even if billions of iPhones with copper coils in them are made, the cost per will be small; Apple will inflate the cost per just because it can.

The copper is not going to be diverted from other (essential) use, just more of the existing stock used by Apple. There is no global shortage of copper, unlike cobalt, and its price is at the lower end of the 52-week price, and about 60% of what it was about a decade ago.

An aside note, from what I have seen of housing construction in the last two decades, builders are going cheap by using plastic based pipes for water pipes small and large, saving anywhere between $200-500 per house. A nice thing to note with mining stocks still in the dumps.

23. democracyrules macrumors 6502a

Incorrect conclusion. The improvements are not significant. These improvements are a typical “s” cycle improvements and expected for second iteration of the first iteration. Look back the past trends.

24. hypertoast macrumors member

I travel with a wireless charger.

25. porscherain macrumors newbie

You have to be incredibly naive to think that Apple is messing up. They have to systematically calculate what to leave behind in every iteration in order to facilitate a need for a new version of their products.
    1. iPhone X - Could have easily had copper, held back to upgrade next cycle
    2. Apple TV - Could have easily had 4k, held back to upgrade next cycle
    3. _______ - Could have easily had __, held back tp upgrade next cycle

And it goes on and on and on. They didn't get to a Billion dollars by accident, its all calculated and we're happily throwing our dollars at them.