Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoenix-mac-user

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
I have the same issue with my Mac Mini via HDMI. Just using 1080p not 4k monitor. If I unplug and reconnect it works fine.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
I have the same issue with my Mac Mini via HDMI. Just using 1080p not 4k monitor. If I unplug and reconnect it works fine.
Powering my monitor off and turning it back on fixes this for me when it happens. Saves wear and tear on the port.

Trips

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2019
ATL, GA
I have this problem as well, and over HDMI at that. Running a 27" Acer 276GL LCD over HDMI and sometimes (not always) when it wakes up from sleep I see that white noise you are talking about. I can let it go back to sleep in 1min, and try it again, and wake it up gain, and it displays fine. Its really hit or miss as to when it happens. But it IS happening, and fairly frequently.

If I cycle LCD power it comes right back up fine. It seems intermittent after waking up from sleep mainly. Although I have seen it do it a few times upon restarting, but much less often.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
It’s still early but I think my sleep issue is resolved with the latest update 10.14.4

After the update I turned my energy savings to be able to sleep, tried a few times with hours rest an instant screen on after touching the keyboard. The real test will be overnight sleep. I’ll report back..

Reactions: avxkim

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
It’s still early but I think my sleep issue is resolved with the latest update 10.14.4

After the update I turned my energy savings to be able to sleep, tried a few times with hours rest an instant screen on after touching the keyboard. The real test will be overnight sleep. I’ll report back..

Have you tried it with HDMI from Mac mini to HDMI in your monitor?

Update

Just tried HDMI to HDMI myself, sent MM to sleep for 30 mins, then pressed space on the keyboard, it awoke instantly. Probably 10.14.4 fixed this issue? Also iMessage/screenshot (when you select rectangle) freeze has been gone, amazing.

Update 2

Left mac mini sleeping for 3+ hours, same issue - won't wake up with HDMI to HDMI, went back to USB-C > DP.

Last edited:
Reactions: IngerMan

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Im using DP to eGPU and File Vault. I just woke it up from overnight and the screen came on with in 2 seconds for me to type my password.

Before 10.14.4
I would have to blind type my password and sometimes more then once and it took several seconds before I saw a screen.

Glad for the fix where I can finally have my energy saving set like I have for years.

avxkim

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2017
Kazakhstan
Im using DP to eGPU and File Vault. I just woke it up from overnight and the screen came on with in 2 seconds for me to type my password.

Before 10.14.4
I would have to blind type my password and sometimes more then once and it took several seconds before I saw a screen.

Glad for the fix where I can finally have my energy saving set like I have for years.

Are you sure? Try to leave MM for whole night, then try it at the morning. With Filevault you won't see a login screen for sure.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Are you sure? Try to leave MM for whole night, then try it at the morning. With Filevault you won't see a login screen for sure.

The evening before around 6-7 pm, I selected it to sleep then I shut off the monitor.

5:30am this morning I hit the space bar and turned on the monitor and the screen appeared less then 2 seconds.

This is a one off. I’ll see what happens when I return home, obviously I need to see how it goes over a few days.

Update: 12 hours in sleep mode with FV enabled and waking the MM the screen appears the 2nd time this early evening. Now I did a restart and that is a blind password input, I have eGPU no HDMI to MM. But at least the sleep seems to be fixed.

Last edited:

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
I'm still experiencing a static screen occasionally when switching my LG's inputs to the mini via HDMI. Turning the monitor off/on resolves the issue. I don't have any issues with the other 2 windows machines connected via HDMI and DP. OSX 10.14.4.

Painter2002

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2017
Austin, TX
So I know this is a Mac Mini post, but it sounds like you all who are having issues with "static" upon wake are having the same issue that I (and others) posted about on this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nitor-static-after-waking-from-sleep.2113498/

In short... I would get static when waking my refurbished 2017 MacBook Pro, regardless of whether or not peripherals (monitors/external drives) were connected or not. I eventually had my machine "captured" by the Senior Tech dept at Apple, twice. On the third machine it was decided by Apple to be a software issue.

After several updates in Mojave, the issue went away, but I will bet this is the exact same thing, and likely NOT a hardware issue but rather a software issue that needs to be patched by Apple. Anyone who has the issue should contact Apple so that they can be made aware of the issue and ensure a fix is released in a future patch/update.

JP Coulombe

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2019
This irritating issue also happens on my new mac mini. I returned a new Dell monitor to Costco the first time thinking that it was defective only to realize after exchanging it that it was the Mac Mini all along. Between this issue and the constant intermittant Bluetooth, I wish I had not bought the Mini.

FYI, instead of unplugging cables when the screen is all pixelated after a wake up, I take the time to manually put it back to sleep and then wake it up again. This seems to fix it after the first or second try. ITS JUST ANNOYING AS HELL!.

macminitx

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2018
This irritating issue also happens on my new mac mini. I returned a new Dell monitor to Costco the first time thinking that it was defective only to realize after exchanging it that it was the Mac Mini all along. Between this issue and the constant intermittant Bluetooth, I wish I had not bought the Mini.

FYI, instead of unplugging cables when the screen is all pixelated after a wake up, I take the time to manually put it back to sleep and then wake it up again. This seems to fix it after the first or second try. ITS JUST ANNOYING AS HELL!.

Is your macOS updated to the latest version? The static issue was fixed for me after a recent OS update, though it does take a bit longer for my monitor to wake up sometimes.

mikef07

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
My Mac is up to date and still no resolve.
Same issues. Using 2 Samsung 32" 4K monitors and it is always something different.

Sometimes after waking up:

1). Only 1 screen works. Can't get second screen to come on. Have to reboot
2). Sometimes no screens work. Have to hold power button down on Mac mini to turn off and then reboot
3). HDMI screen gets snow. Nothing I can do but reboot

This is horrible QC

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
I had this issue even after the latest OS updates. I switched to my thunderbolt monitor input which doesn’t have this problem.

Reactions: Martyimac

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm really quite annoyed with this. I upgraded a client from a 2011 Mac mini and Apple even get HDMI working on a $1300 computer?

Every now and again on waking from sleep, the display goes to snow, lines etc, and the monitor has to be restarted for it work.

Have swapped HDMI cables and monitors with no improvement.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Is there any point getting a USB-c to hdmi cable or adaptor?

My clients (1 month old) monitor only has VGA and HDMI
I would get a USB-C to VGA cable. Every issue I have seen has been related to HDMI. But that is no guarantee.
And I have to say, if that monitor is only 1 month old and only has antiquated VGA in addition to HDMI, your client may want to consider getting an updated monitor.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I would get a USB-C to VGA cable. Every issue I have seen has been related to HDMI. But that is no guarantee.
And I have to say, if that monitor is only 1 month old and only has antiquated VGA in addition to HDMI, your client may want to consider getting an updated monitor.

Given she's already shelled out for a Mac Mini, which are not cheap, then why should she need to shell out further when a HDMI monitor should work?

The (Lenovo) monitor was selected on it being a great price, decent specs, in addition to getting fantastic reviews for reliability, features etc.

It is an absolute joke that she'd even need to consider going back to using VGA, due to Apple's ineptitude.

Reactions: scottsjack

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Given she's already shelled out for a Mac Mini, which are not cheap, then why should she need to shell out further when a HDMI monitor should work?

The (Lenovo) monitor was selected on it being a great price, decent specs, in addition to getting fantastic reviews for reliability, features etc.

It is an absolute joke that she'd even need to consider going back to using VGA, due to Apple's ineptitude.
I cannot disagree with you. Sorry she is having the issues but the fact remains HDMI is problematic on the new mini, I had it with mine.
Have you tried just turning the monitor off then back on? Also, sometimes a different HDMI cable may work better. Monoprice.com seems to have good stuff at good prices.
Hope this helps a little.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.