Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benzer1406

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2019
I just got my new MBP 13" i7 16GB 512GB SSD two days ago. I started setting it up, installing programs. When I plugged in in to charge I continued working. Then I just closed it leaving it charged. 2 hours later I opened it and saw the apple and realized pretty quickly that I am another incident of the BridgeOS error causing the restart.

Error Message: "caused_by":"bridgeos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.4.4 (18E226)","os_version":"Bridge OS 3.4 (16P4507)".....

I have all updates installed, that's the latest version.

Last edited:

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
after another kp, I'm seriously questioning what to do.

apple won't acknowledge this as an issue and offer any sort of replacement, which is probably because the problem is in the t2 chip design itself. and they clearly haven't managed to mitigate it in software either.

is apple just openly selling lemons nowadays?

Reactions: guillone

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
after another kp, I'm seriously questioning what to do.

apple won't acknowledge this as an issue and offer any sort of replacement, which is probably because the problem is in the t2 chip design itself. and they clearly haven't managed to mitigate it in software either.

is apple just openly selling lemons nowadays?

Pretty much yes. Immature hardware that likely can't be patch repaired. I was having a pretty good run on my imac pro and yesterday a few T2 bridge os panicks showed back up and the latest beta is no different. Most of mine happen during a restart or startup. I don't think Apple is paying any attention to this issue since it isn't widespread, but they are aware and maybe we will see future updated hardware versions. maybe... This issue has been going on for well over a year. And the reports seem to tell you basically nothing useful.

What I think is going on here is that the T2 chip (or the bridgeos) is very sensitive to certain events that simply overwhelm it and send the panick. It isn't quite consistent enough to pin it down to a particular series of events, but obviously it would be events that have to do with T2 functions in some way. I have turned off as many T2 functions as I have access to be able to turn off and it does help considerably, but not 100%. Why this isn't more widespread is another mystery. Are some chips bad, or are certain conditions not met by the vast majority? hard to say. But there is a good reason that most high end computers use Intel chips still. Time tested and reliable.

Last edited:
Reactions: stevemiller

matilson

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2019
No way guys, I'm returning my MacBook for a refund. is very unstable and is not possible to work in this way.
Thank you for your feedback hope for that Apple will find a solution soon.
Give feedback please to ensure that the problem is noticed!

Hi, I have the same problem, could you tell me the procedure you used to get the computer reimbursed? Did you use a 3-month or 1-year warranty? What did you tell the technical support people and what did they tell you? sorry for my english I'm using the google translator :))))

OscarFogel

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2019
Hey guys, Been reading through most of this thread today. Do you think this is also related to the T2 chip etc? Thanks!//O

"" "build" : "Bridge OS 3.4 (16P4507)",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2019-04-30 20:52:16.50 +0000",
"incident" : "03218B5C-B4DB-46B4-8413-5FC5DE8EA850",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.5.0: Mon Mar 11 20:29:36 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.251.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"macOSOtherString" : "\n** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 222928 **\n",
"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x404",
"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80172d0f4a): \"userspace panic: remoted connection watchdog expired, no updates from remoted monitoring thread in 60 seconds\"@\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs\/Sources\/xnu\/xnu-4903.251.3\/bsd\/kern\/kern_shutdown.c:154\nBacktrace (CPU 2), ""

Donnation

Suspended
Nov 2, 2014
Mine is now doing this on a regular basis. Several times a week this is happening randomly. I've shelved the machine and am going back to my 2015 model. This is ridiculous.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
For those experiencing an increasing frequency of KPs, would you mind checking your Internal SSD?

(0) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> View --> Show All Devices
(1) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> APPLE SSD (the partition check)
(2) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> container disk (the container)
(3) Disk Utility --> First Aid --> Macintosh HD (the startup volume)

Do all three check out successfully, or do any return a corruption error?

Thanks,
Solouki

hcintegrity

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2019
Hi, I have the same problem, could you tell me the procedure you used to get the computer reimbursed? Did you use a 3-month or 1-year warranty? What did you tell the technical support people and what did they tell you? sorry for my english I'm using the google translator :))))

Hi! Which is your country? In Italy the full refound policy lasts 14 days.
Check your country policy!
Bye!

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Hey guys, Been reading through most of this thread today. Do you think this is also related to the T2 chip etc? Thanks!//O

"" "build" : "Bridge OS 3.4 (16P4507)",
"crashReporterKey" : "c0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0dec0de0001",
"date" : "2019-04-30 20:52:16.50 +0000",
"incident" : "03218B5C-B4DB-46B4-8413-5FC5DE8EA850",
"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 18.5.0: Mon Mar 11 20:29:36 PDT 2019; root:xnu-4903.251.3~1\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",
"macOSOtherString" : "\n** In Memory Panic Stackshot Succeeded ** Bytes Traced 222928 **\n",
"macOSPanicFlags" : "0x404",
"macOSPanicString" : "panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff80172d0f4a): \"userspace panic: remoted connection watchdog expired, no updates from remoted monitoring thread in 60 seconds\"@\/BuildRoot\/Library\/Caches\/com.apple.xbs\/Sources\/xnu\/xnu-4903.251.3\/bsd\/kern\/kern_shutdown.c:154\nBacktrace (CPU 2), ""
That is what bridge OS is. The OS on the T2 chip.

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
For those experiencing an increasing frequency of KPs, would you mind checking your Internal SSD?

Thanks,
Solouki

Had supposed errors with the startup volume, booted into recovery and fixed with Disk Utility. However, I don't think it's necessarily related - I've had the panics for a while now, and had run First Aid many times before in between panics with no errors found. I've also tried full clean installs (wiping the drive through DU in recovery and then installing Mojave from a USB) to no avail.

solouki

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2017
Had supposed errors with the startup volume, booted into recovery and fixed with Disk Utility. However, I don't think it's necessarily related - I've had the panics for a while now, and had run First Aid many times before in between panics with no errors found. I've also tried full clean installs (wiping the drive through DU in recovery and then installing Mojave from a USB) to no avail.

Hi chumps52,

Did you repeat the three First Aid checks after rebooting back to User mode? I found that after "fixing" the startup volume in Recovery mode, booting backing to User mode and rerunning the First Aids on the partition, container disk, and startup volume still produced corruption errors on the startup volume that needed to be repaired. In other words, the Recovery mode repairs did not actually work.

Regards,
Solouki

EDIT: I also erased the drive and reinstalled from the Internet, but this did not "fix" the corrupted startup volume.

Here is a more detailed discussion of this startup volume corruption:

2018 MacBook Pros crashing with "Bridge OS" error

Last edited:

derukey

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2019
Montreal, Canada
This looks like my problem too, with two brand new MBP 2018's in a row! Apple Support wants to change the main logic board, but the computer is still within the 2-week return policy period!? Why not just try a 3rd brand-new machine? How can a repaired computer work better than a brand new one?!?

MacBook Pro 2018 / 2.9 GHz i9 / 32 GB / Vega 20 / 1 TB

The first computer was 2 days old with only a few programs installed (no migration assistant) when it started either (a) freezing while asleep and resuming from safe sleep (i.e., no crash report); or (b) crashing while trying to wake up from sleep and producing a crash report related to Kernel Panic and BridgeOS.

I exchanged the first computer at the store for the exact same model. With the second computer, I erased the disk, reinstalled Mojave, and then installed even *less* programs - just the bare minimum to do my work and nothing out of the ordinary (in my opinion anyway). Same exact problems from the first day.

Although intermittent, the problem can easily occur several times a day but *only* while sleeping and plugged into my two LG 5K displays. If the machine is sleeping while on battery & no peripherals attached, then I am unable to reproduce the problem. The firmware on my displays is up-to-date. Other USB peripherals chained to one of the displays: Belkin USB-C Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, iPhone Lighting Dock.

What a joke! So far, I'm using a very simple solution to prevent this problem: System Preferences > Energy Saver > Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.

Last edited:

hcintegrity

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2019
This looks like my problem too, with two brand new MBP 2018's in a row! Apple Support wants to change the main logic board, but the computer is still within the 2-week return policy period!? Why not just try a 3rd brand-new machine? How can a repaired computer work better than a brand new one?!?

MacBook Pro 2018 / 2.9 GHz i9 / 32 GB / Vega 20 / 1 TB

The first computer was 2 days old with only a few programs installed (no migration assistant) when it started either (a) freezing while asleep and resuming from safe sleep (i.e., no crash report); or (b) crashing while trying to wake up from sleep and producing a crash report related to Kernel Panic and BridgeOS.

I exchanged the first computer at the store for the exact same model. With the second computer, I erased the disk, reinstalled Mojave, and then installed even *less* programs - just the bare minimum to do my work and nothing out of the ordinary (in my opinion anyway). Same exact problems from the first day.

Although intermittent, the problem can easily occur several times a day but *only* while sleeping and plugged into my two LG 5K displays. If the machine is sleeping while on battery & no peripherals attached, then I am unable to reproduce the problem. The firmware on my displays its up-to-date. Other USB peripherals chained to one of the displays: Belkin Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, iPhone Lighting Dock.

What a joke! So far, I'm using a very simple solution to prevent this problem: System Preferences > Energy Saver > Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off.

Same for me but is inconceivable to pay 5k for a laptop that cannot use basic features as sleep mode or external monitors or devices.

I preferred a refund. Now I’m searching for a 2017 one but if in future I need more ram I will go for a dell.

Give feedback officially so they can give more importance to the problem!
Good luck!

chumps52

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2013
Scotland
Hi chumps52,

Did you repeat the three First Aid checks after rebooting back to User mode? I found that after "fixing" the startup volume in Recovery mode, booting backing to User mode and rerunning the First Aids on the partition, container disk, and startup volume still produced corruption errors on the startup volume that needed to be repaired. In other words, the Recovery mode repairs did not actually work.

Regards,
Solouki

EDIT: I also erased the drive and reinstalled from the Internet, but this did not "fix" the corrupted startup volume.

Here is a more detailed discussion of this startup volume corruption:

2018 MacBook Pros crashing with "Bridge OS" error

Hi, yes I did, all 3 to ensure were fixed - I didn't get any further issues after the recovery First Aid though.
Other stuff tried includes having the logic board replaced by Apple in January.

alexballvideos

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2017

Thanks,
Solouki
I did this after seeing you earlier message. Everything was fine.

King724

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2015
Still having issues with KPs. I've been saving the crash reports since early December (see attachment).

They seem to be completely random, but when they happen, it's never just once, it's 2-4 times a day.

This is my work laptop (2018 13" MBP w/ TB). I have an identical personal laptop which experiences none of these issues.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-02 13.05.20.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-02 13.05.20.png
    639 KB · Views: 308

Dave Post

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
I am on my 2nd new iMac pro the first I returned after having many bridge OS kernel panics with any USB drive plugged in. I did the whole apple care/ support thing they told me to bring it in to be repaired. Took it to the guys I use whom are apple certified. When they called in the ticket apple told them it is user error and not to do anything. They returned it to me and told me what happened I just said screw it and returned it.

I just received my 2nd iMac pro got it custom from apple it took 5 weeks to get here. Spent 5 hours reinstalling all my apps from scratch. Just did my first test with adobe premiere. Hard crash and restart within 3 minutes of editing. No crash report on restart. I have over 90 mac in my office 2 2017 iMac pros that work great. I am at my wits end I have no clue what to do.

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
Hi
I am on my 2nd new iMac pro the first I returned after having many bridge OS kernel panics with any USB drive plugged in. I did the whole apple care/ support thing they told me to bring it in to be repaired. Took it to the guys I use whom are apple certified. When they called in the ticket apple told them it is user error and not to do anything. They returned it to me and told me what happened I just said screw it and returned it.

I just received my 2nd iMac pro got it custom from apple it took 5 weeks to get here. Spent 5 hours reinstalling all my apps from scratch. Just did my first test with adobe premiere. Hard crash and restart within 3 minutes of editing. No crash report on restart. I have over 90 mac in my office 2 2017 iMac pros that work great. I am at my wits end I have no clue what to do.

I definitely agree with you returning it, and I would have done the same, but how in the world did Apple come to the conclusion that it was “user error”?

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Hi

I definitely agree with you returning it, and I would have done the same, but how in the world did Apple come to the conclusion that it was “user error”?
They think that anything that happens after you unpack it is user error. And don't even think of installing any non-apple apps.

sophee24

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2015
I have the same machine as you except mine is the i9 and I'm crashing just every night with the bridge error - seems to happened ever 4 or 5 hours. It's driving me NUTS! I'm so angry about this- my old 2013 MBP was better than this! Anyone have any solutions?
Apple says take it the genius bar - over an hour away ! They are nuts!

Dave Post

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Hi

The place I use for repairs is great I have been taking my work machines there for years. They told me apple said since it was only crashing when I plugged in external USB drives that it was a problem with my drives not with the computer. So they did not do anything they suggested I return it. I spent over an hour on the phone with the apple tech I did all of the crap he asked (even though I did 95% of it before I called) he said it sounds like a hardware issue and to take it in and get it repaired at a apple store he would include that in the notes on my ticket. My office works off external drives 95% of the time and no other Macs crash while using them. I have 5 2013 Mac Pros (which have their own issues) I did not want to buy a 5 year old computer for my Animation guy I wanted a new computer that was fast so I went with the iMac pro. This has been frustrating.

I am going to try the newest update and to turn off all of the T2 security then do a new install. If it is still a lemon I am going to raise a huge stink. We have an apple business account with a Rep whom I talk to once a month. We buy about 10 macs a year on average so I hope someone will listen.

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2008
The place I use for repairs is great I have been taking my work machines there for years. They told me apple said since it was only crashing when I plugged in external USB drives that it was a problem with my drives not with the computer. So they did not do anything they suggested I return it. I spent over an hour on the phone with the apple tech I did all of the crap he asked (even though I did 95% of it before I called) he said it sounds like a hardware issue and to take it in and get it repaired at a apple store he would include that in the notes on my ticket. My office works off external drives 95% of the time and no other Macs crash while using them. I have 5 2013 Mac Pros (which have their own issues) I did not want to buy a 5 year old computer for my Animation guy I wanted a new computer that was fast so I went with the iMac pro. This has been frustrating.

I am going to try the newest update and to turn off all of the T2 security then do a new install. If it is still a lemon I am going to raise a huge stink. We have an apple business account with a Rep whom I talk to once a month. We buy about 10 macs a year on average so I hope someone will listen.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

alaero

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2008
I’m now on my second iMac pro.
First one was build late 2017, store bought Late Jan 2019. Was fine for a month or so then started random rebooting.

2 Genius Bar appointments and recived a new one.

Second iMac Pro. Build March 2019 bought/replaced April 8th. Random reboots have started right out of the box. Spoken to AppleCare rep level 2 Have submitted crash logs to Apple and well as the system diagnosis.

Getting a little pissed off with this.

Reactions: dornquast and g75d3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.