Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
To be honest, I think the benefits of 120hz can be only seen if you compare two devices side by side or if you need super precise apple pencil experience. Otherwise, I would go with the 2019 one, as it should receive software updates for longer than the 2017 one.

Nope, the opposite is true / the old one is far superior and 120 is pro motion is great for everyday use

InvictaGB

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2019
London, England
I hope you’re right - being able to use the UAG case I already have sitting in a drawer and take advantage of the faster processor of this ‘new Air’ would be just what I need. I never used the Pro features anyway I just thought the 10.5 was the best iPad I ever owned, better than the new Pro 11 too TBH.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
You’re driving yourself crazy. Not Face id. Must be a hassle flipping over an iPad. Imagine the horror of it.

It has taken something that worked for me 98% of the time on the first try without having to think for many years (when the first introduced it on the Air 2) that I do dozens of times a day to something that is a pain in the arse.
[doublepost=1552940103][/doublepost]
How does the performance compare between the two. Anything you like better on the 11"?

The 11 flies, but the 10.5 was no slouch itself. The bigger screen is nice but is also offset since some of the apps I use still haven’t been updated to the new screen size and display actually LESS than my 10.5 did. The battery life is much better as is charging from USB-C.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Good grief, what penny thrifters. Why buy this thing and not a 10.5" refurb? Is the A12 that good of a tradeoff?
Despite using the same chassis and the Air effectively 'replacing' the Pro in the lineup, it's not a regular sort of upgrade in the way we know it. This is more of a 'repositioning' of the model to a lower price point, losing some of the shinier bells and whistles in the process. I guess the idea is that the 10.5" pro was close enough in price to the 11" that most people just opted for the newer, fully redesigned Pro, whereas the Air will tempt a lot of people who are looking at the $329 iPad, but maybe would like the laminated display (and a slightly bigger display) and option of the smart KB. Yeah at the moment a refurbished or leftover stock pro will probably be a better deal, but as we move forward with this (start seeing deals and what have you) I'm sure the Air will start to make more sense.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
I had a 10.5 Pro and "upgraded" to the 11 Pro. FaceID is driving me crazy as I seem to always be blocking the stinking camera. So glad to see they haven't abandoned the TouchID design altogether.

I found that after going back to a TouchID on my iPad vs FaceID on my iPhone, I really prefer TouchID. FaceID works if I am in the sweet spot (hold the iPhone at specific distance from my face) but it constantly fails if I am horizontal, or not holding the phone the same distance from my face, or squinting. etc.

Difference is the TouchID always works, FAce ID I am always thinking about how I hold the phone or my head to make sure it works.

Achillias

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
This argument almost never makes sense to me. Should it have been a Hypercube or something? Spinning rims? RGB flowing case lights? Maybe a built in cup holder?

The only things about the "design" that could likely need improvement are internal reinforcement (if that hasn't been done), a switch to USB-C connection, and other more technical elements that wouldn't really make it look much different.

What kind of students? What grade/age? What are the intended uses cases? Possibly neither.
The thing is; your opinion is just your view, nothing more. I don't like the design, and if we speak about making sense your opinion doesn't make any sense in mine eyes. I don't like the old and recycled design.

You don't need to do add those hideous suggestions of yours to make (the iPad) look different. For instance, the camera on the front of the iPad is just one small dot, it doesn't need all those bezels on the top. Also, the round and huge finerprintscanner, which takes a lot of space, could be mounted on the back or side to make those hideous bezels symmetrical.

Reactions: 3.5jackandairpods

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
This is a nice upgrade for all the iPad Air 1 & 2 users. The A10 iPad was not.
Yes, that’s who this is for, maybe owners of the original 9.7” pro also. Obviously not something you’d be interested in as a current 10.5 pro owner absent some unique use case. The A10 ipad is really a side-grade for an air 2 owner, and the current pros, while amazing, are stupidly expensive unless it’s your main machine. This 10.5 air is the worthy successor to the Air 2 that I still have.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Yes, that’s who this is for, maybe owners of the original 9.7” pro also. Obviously not something you’d be interested in as a current 10.5 pro owner absent some unique use case. The A10 ipad is really a side-grade for an air 2 owner, and the current pros, while amazing, are stupidly expensive unless it’s your main machine. This 10.5 air is the worthy successor to the Air 2 that I still have.
Well, it seems a lot of people are saying the 10.5 Pro refurb is the better overall value - in their opinion - so for some the worthy successor to the Air 2 would be the 10.5 Pro refurb.

I don't think either the the 10.5 Air or the 10.5 Pro refurb is a slam dunk decision for everyone though.

MatthewUT44

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2015
Arizona
This argument almost never makes sense to me. Should it have been a Hypercube or something? Spinning rims? RGB flowing case lights? Maybe a built in cup holder?

The only things about the "design" that could likely need improvement are internal reinforcement (if that hasn't been done), a switch to USB-C connection, and other more technical elements that wouldn't really make it look much different.

What kind of students? What grade/age? What are the intended uses cases? Possibly neither.

College student, studying environmental science

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well, it seems a lot of people are saying the 10.5 Pro refurb is the better overall value - in their opinion - so for some the worth successor to the Air 2 would be that one instead.
I think that’s only true because the 10.5” pro has been out so long that it’s discounted to a similar price as the 2019 air. People are comparing the sale or refurb prices they can get on a pro to MSRP on the 2019. At MSRP, or once the 2019 goes on sale too, it’s not that close.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I think that’s only true because the 10.5” pro has been out so long that it’s discounted to a similar price as the 2019 air. People are comparing the sale or refurb prices they can get on a pro to MSRP on the 2019. At MSRP, or once the 2019 goes on sale too, it’s not that close.
Well, yeah, but it's what matters to those of us buying today. 6 months from now things may be different, but I don't plan on waiting 6 months.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Well, yeah, but it's what matters to those of us buying today. 6 months from now things may be different, but I don't plan on waiting 6 months.
I agree that you should consider today’s prices if you’re buying today. But from Apple’s perspective, they are offering a very similar iPad at $150 less than the old model was yesterday. Long run, this means a very comparable device at a better price. But yeah, maybe not for today.

MessieKake

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Similar changes as with the 9.7 iPad Pro vs the "iPad". Changes were newer CPU, worse camera, less and worse speakers, worse screen (not laminated) and thicker. So technically just faster.

Could this be a pattern?

partsofspeech

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2018
Which one is better for students?
iPad in general is good for studying. A12 chip is superior and 2017 Pro’s higher-resolution back camera is not that important nor its quad speakers.
[doublepost=1552942694][/doublepost]
Which one is better for students?
If you are into music production, get the ones with 3.5mm jack.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iPad in general is good for studying. A12 chip is superior and 2017 Pro’s higher-resolution back camera is not that important nor its quad speakers.
It does depend on use case. I am with you - never use my ipad’s speakers, and I’ve maybe taken one picture with an iPad, ever. I’m so glad they went for a lower res camera that can sit flush. But I can see why that would not work as well for other use cases.

Katzup

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
One other thing not mentioned: the new iPad Air maxes out at 256GB whereas the 10.5 iPad Pro maxes at 512GB

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
At home... all the time. Worth buying the discontinued pro for on its own

Believe me, if you are happy with your choices then I am happy for you. But could you accomplish the same thing with a HomePod speaker?

Now since you own an iPad Pro you don't need to do that. And of course adding a HomePod is an additional expense.

I believe though that you or anyone could find less expense bluetooth speaker options if you felt the desire to do so.

strategicthinke

Suspended
Feb 6, 2014
Rio de Janeiro
Nope, the opposite is true / the old one is far superior and 120 is pro motion is great for everyday use
Except it is not superior. A12 vs. A10X. Wake up.
[doublepost=1552944209][/doublepost]
Similar changes as with the 9.7 iPad Pro vs the "iPad". Changes were newer CPU, worse camera, less and worse speakers, worse screen (not laminated) and thicker. So technically just faster.

Could this be a pattern?
They are updating for the latest A12 for a reasonable price. Odds are that if you’re noticing those differences, you’re the target market for the iPad Pro instead of the iPad Air or the other budget options.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Except it is not superior. A12 vs. A10X. Wake up.
[doublepost=1552944209][/doublepost]
They are updating for the latest A12 for a reasonable price. Odds are that if you’re noticing those differences, you’re the target market for the iPad Pro instead of the iPad Air or the other budget options.
Well, odds are if you are a consumer that doesn't need all that speed, you're more likely to notice other features instead, like ProMotion and better camera, with flash.

But everyone is different of course. I suspect I would have been happy with either model, but chose to go Pro this time around since the price is right.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3 and JXulo

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
What NO ONE has yet picked up on, including those who work for Mac Rumors, is that now that AAPL is NO longer providing Unit Sales of iPhones, iPads, & Macs (@ Quarterly Earnings Releases), these types of "incremental lower-end improvements" are (& will continue to be) the Norm.

Cook & Co is now after "Incremental Revenue" in every way possible.

They feel they NO longer need to worry about the ASP for any of their products.

You won't hear this on CNBC, & elsewhere, until AFTER they read about it here.
You might want to search before making such a ridiculous statement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.