Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gopnix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2019
Hey, I'm about to buy the iPhone XR, but I'm wondering if I should wait until September to buy the new one, it depends on the price. Do any of you have information or an idea if it's going to be the same $749 (869€) or if it'll be more expensive. Thanks in advance.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would guess the price would stay the same. But no one will know until Apple announces the new devices in September.

You can always wait until September, and once the new models are announced the current models will receive a discount. Depends on if you need a phone now or can wait.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hey, I'm about to buy the iPhone XR, but I'm wondering if I should wait until September to buy the new one, it depends on the price. Do any of you have information or an idea if it's going to be the same $749 (869€) or if it'll be more expensive. Thanks in advance.

I doubt Apple would raise the price of the XR, they already know that consumers aren’t supporting a $1000 iPhone as it is, which is why I believe the $750 price For the XR will remain for 2019. That said, if it does increase, I would expect it to be very minimal.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Will we even get an XR refresh? I'm not entirely certain we will.

Part of me thinks that run the current XR, specs and all, at a lower price and stop seeing the car lineup.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
It is not really raising the price, but I actually think they will not have 64GB and starts with 128GB with $799, which is the same as current XR 128GB.
[doublepost=1561220806][/doublepost]

Part of me thinks that run the current XR, specs and all, at a lower price and stop seeing the car lineup.

It is very likely we will see a refresh. ( I think the rumours are all but confirmed, the camera NEEDS upgrading. ) The XR will live on just the X during XS launches, available in other channel for $100 less. So you end up having 11R $799, while XR will be $649. And iPhone 8 Plus $599.... hopefully iPhone 7 Plus $499 ( Likely not directly from Apple ).

While I thought it was silly to save 100 bucks only when XS is so much better, the results turns out a lot of people are actually buying it. Sometimes the market is quite strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: lordofthereef

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017

At this point I think there are too many corroborating leaks to really say there might not be, plus just discounting the XR would cut the iPhone's average selling price, which is what Apple are currently relying on to keep iPhone revenue afloat amid a slowdown in sales numbers. I don't think the increase in XR units sold at $100 cheaper would even be enough to make up for the price cut. You can already get the XR at quite hefty discounts, if people aren't clamouring for it now, I don't think they will be when it's a year further behind the curve, cheaper or not.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
It is very likely we will see a refresh. ( I think the rumours are all but confirmed, the camera NEEDS upgrading. ) The XR will live on just the X during XS launches, available in other channel for $100 less. So you end up having 11R $799, while XR will be $649. And iPhone 8 Plus $599.... hopefully iPhone 7 Plus $499 ( Likely not directly from Apple ).

What's your reasoning behind having the $649 XR as a carrier product? With the X, it made sense as the XS looked identical to the previous model. With the 11R, it should be pretty clear (camera and frosted glass) it's a step up from the XR.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why wouldn’t Apple refresh the XR? It’s their current biggest iPhone market, they’d be mad not to put their focus on its successor.
I just don't expect a direct refresh. But I've been wrong more than once.
[doublepost=1561323670][/doublepost]
At this point I think there are too many corroborating leaks to really say there might not be,
Fair enough. I legitimately haven't been paying attention to leaks the way I used to. .

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I just don't expect a direct refresh. But I've been wrong more than once.
[doublepost=1561323670][/doublepost]
Fair enough. I legitimately haven't been paying attention to leaks the way I used to. .

It’s not really whether the XR will be refreshed. It will be. What the name might be is debatable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.