2019 iPhones 'Likely' to Have Faster 18W Charger and Lightning to USB-C Cable in Box

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is widely expected to release three new iPhone models later this year, and each device will "likely" include a faster 18W USB-C power adapter and a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box, according to Japanese blog Mac Otakara.

[​IMG]
    18W USB-C power adapter bundled with 2018 iPad Pro, also sold separately

This rumor is a big "finally" if true. Despite adding fast charging support to the iPhone 8 and newer, allowing for a 50 percent charge in just 30 minutes via USB-C Power Delivery, Apple has continued to include the same old 5W power adapter and Lightning to USB-A cable with iPhones for many years.

For now, to take advantage of fast charging, customers have to spend a total of $48 to purchase a standalone 18W USB-C power adapter and Lightning to USB-C cable from Apple, although cheaper options are available on Amazon.

A bundled Lightning to USB-C cable would also mean that customers who paid at least $749 for a new iPhone would finally have a cable that connects with the latest MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models out of the box.

Last year, we heard a similar rumor about Apple bundling a faster 18W USB-C power adapter with 2018 iPhones, but it ended up being for 2018 iPad Pro models. This is the second time Mac Otakara has shared this rumor in as many months, so hopefully there is truth to it this time around.

Mac Otakara also rehashes several other rumors we've heard before, including the next iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max having triple-lens rear cameras, and the next iPhone XR having a dual-lens rear camera. All three iPhones are also expected to feature two-way wireless charging like the Galaxy S10.

Article Link: 2019 iPhones 'Likely' to Have Faster 18W Charger and Lightning to USB-C Cable in Box

2. benshive macrumors regular

3. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

This could offset the limited feature set this time around if they decide to do another "7" type release

4. JosephAW macrumors 68020

JosephAW

And previous models would have to buy a dongle.

5. Mettwurst macrumors newbie

Mettwurst

6. latts macrumors regular

latts

"It can also serve as a spare charging cable for the latest iPad Pro models"

Er no, latest iPad Air etc but not the iPad pros that have USB-C connectors!

7. AngerDanger, Apr 29, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

We thank you, Tim, for your infinite wisdom and benevolence that have found it worthwhile to bless our iOS devices with a faster charge delivered from a modern standard port. We are but your humble consumers. Peace be upon you.

[​IMG]

8. Agit21 macrumors regular

9. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

Apple really do frustrate the living daylights out me sometimes. How about just ditching the Lightening connector and adopting USB-C like everyone else?

10. sofila macrumors 6502a

sofila

The bundled/not bundled fast charger represents the two sides of average comments:
    "1200 dollars phone and no fast charger, what the ..."
    vs.
    "if you have 1200 dollars to spend on a phone you don't mind about spending another 40 bucks".
    Both on the good side against the other evil one, of course

11. alllexx macrumors member

No, but you can use it to charge the iPhone from the iPad Pro

12. RedGala macrumors regular

RedGala

Please please please just have USB-C on the phone.

13. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Hey @Joe Rossignol, how exactly is a Lightning to USB-C cable going to serve as a spare charging cable for the latest iPad Pro models? They would need USB-C to USB-C. Did you mean spare charger?

14. Niko Todd macrumors member

Niko Todd

15. alexandr macrumors 6502a

alexandr

i would hate for apple to ditch the lighting cable. i have dozens of lightning cables. i would have to start all over again...

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

new iphone will be at least $30 more expensive then lol

17. xpxp2002 macrumors regular

I’ll believe it when I see it.

As far as I’m concerned, 18W charger with USB-C connector will come with an iPhone when the year of the Linux desktop arrives.

18. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

Because they're skipping USB-C on the iPhone and jumping straight to AirPowe... oh wait.

19. Stephen13 macrumors newbie

Releasing a higher-output charger tells me either:

1. more and more people want the ability to quick charge, for one reason or another
    2. Apple is anticipating putting ever larger batteries in iPhone, which would require a more powerful charger
    3. Apple is already including this charger for iPad Pro, and are bringing it to iPhone to lower the unit cost and as a value add, partially in light of all the pricing complaints last fall

20. Dominicanyor macrumors 65816

Dominicanyor

21. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

Keep reporting this every cycle and someday it will be true. They'll probably stop shipping phones with power adapters before they ever do this.

22. MallardDuck macrumors 6502

Right on! They did it on the iPad, and I'm sick of carrying multiple cables for my mobile devices. It's bad enough with all the dongles for the Mac!

23. rpat701 macrumors regular

It had better. Apple who is usually 12-18 months behind on hardware is now rolling like 24-36 months behind. Not good.

24. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

OK moving in the right direction. Now how about shipping iPad Pros with the 29W USB-C charger.

25. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Plot twist: Apple will include a 6W charger and market it as a huge 20% increase in power deliver over the old charger. Multiple MR members will explain why this is indeed a good thing.:p:D