Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Not a surprise. That's 6 years of progress by Intel and Adobe. Has nothing to do with Apple.

No one said it had anything to do with Apple. Also, mostly progress by Intel, because Adobe's "progress" on performance of their apps has been negligible at best.

Reactions: chfilm

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks a lot for your input

as to gpu, I may upgrade 3rd party later, like VII or 5700
to mesure the improvement between them in Lightroom, should I look at the Metal or OpenGL Scores in Geekbench?

as to raid, I didn’t mean boot from nvme to get improvement, I mean set Lightroom camera raw caches folder and catalog files smart previews to the fast raid drives may be improving speed, just curious how much improvement can we get from faster drive.

looking forward for your updates and the screenshots of intel app, thanks a lot.

I think that will definitely help. I'll do some benchmarks with the cache/catalogs on the primary drives and then with them moved to the NVMe RAID array as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI
I think that will definitely help. I'll do some benchmarks with the cache/catalogs on the primary drives and then with them moved to the NVMe RAID array as well.

I didn’t see any performance gained from running my catalog off of my NVMe raid 0 that was getting 6,000mb/s

I had a 12 core 2tb 580X with the NVMe raid and the Pegasus i4 but graphics struggled it seemed on two 4K 32” displays so I wanted to change the graphics card but the only way to do it was to return and order again.

I am waiting on a 12 core 8tb ProVegaII and afterburner card. Memory I’ll upgrade myself.
Returned the NVMe raid setup and went bigger internal since I didn’t see a huge speed gain and I went with an afterburner card this time because I do some video and mostly pro res raw.

It really does seem as if the bottle neck at this point is Adobe. I really hope they make some serious tweaks to improve perform to take advantage of the hardware. I will be testing out capture one as I’ve had multiple people say its much much faster.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks for this topic its really helpful when looking at the new Mac Pro for photograogers! ?

Looking forward to the Capture One benchmarks as that is my main software. Still on the fence to go 16 core and Vega II or wait for the 5700X.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
If you're not going to use the ProDisplay XDR or a 5K display then I would say the 580X should be perfectly fine, but otherwise I would either wait for the W5700X to be added as an option or go with the Vega II like I did, at least if you use Lightroom/Photoshop a lot.

AD - Can you direct me to a publication(s) which suggest a card other than the 580X for the XDR ProDisplay? This is the first I've heard of this. It's possible a publication documented this and I (as well as others I imagine) would be interested in the technical details behind your suggestion.

Regards

wjesse

macrumors member
May 14, 2019
Taiwan
NVMe RAID

I am using the HighPoint 7101A-1 RAID card as it has it's own RAID software and can boot into Windows/Linux whereas the Sonnet card cannot. In order to get it to work, I had to disable Secure Boot, but I don't know if that's required in all cases--the documentation did not say you had to do it, so it maybe something that only turns up in certain situations. Right now I'm trying to figure out if it would make Lightroom faster if I booted off of the NVMe card. Not sure I want to do that though.

I am using Lightroom 6 and 4K monitor.
My cMP 5.1 also has Highpoint SSD7102 installed.
Booting with NVMe SSD hardware Raid0 does not make Lightroom run faster, it feels similar to sata ssd.
It seems that the larger the 'Lightroom Catalog.lrcat' file, the slower the operation speed.
Now my 'Lightroom Catalog.lrcat' is about 14GB and 'Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata' is about 160GB.
Using a 4K or higher resolution monitor will make the catalog file grow faster.

The recommended thing to do is to store the Lightroom Catalog file on a faster SSD, maybe your Highpoint SSD7101a, but the improvement should not be much.
Using smaller catalog files improves speed and is cheaper.

I think using the fastest single-core CPU, and more cores for export, is the way to speed up Lightroom the most.
What CPU should Mac Pro 7.1 use to help Lightroom speed up the most?

Reactions: Average Pro

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
AD - Can you direct me to a publication(s) which suggest a card other than the 580X for the XDR ProDisplay? This is the first I've heard of this. It's possible a publication documented this and I (as well as others I imagine) would be interested in the technical details behind your suggestion.

Regards

I don't think you'll find anything published on this. Lightroom is well known for it's struggles with high-resolution displays. If you start poking around online in the Adobe forums and photography forums like FredMiranda you'll find a lot of posts about it. It's been a problem for years now, and while the latest releases this past year included some GPU acceleration that can help, experience has indicated that the amount of memory and power of the GPU are directly related to how laggy the UI can be on higher-resolution screens (and processor power, too). Based on that history, my assumption is that going even higher in resolution would make it worse--and there are anecdotal reports to the same effect from those who have used the Dell 8K displays.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I am using Lightroom 6 and 4K monitor.
My cMP 5.1 also has Highpoint SSD7102 installed.
Booting with NVMe SSD hardware Raid0 does not make Lightroom run faster, it feels similar to sata ssd.
It seems that the larger the 'Lightroom Catalog.lrcat' file, the slower the operation speed.
Now my 'Lightroom Catalog.lrcat' is about 14GB and 'Lightroom Catalog Previews.lrdata' is about 160GB.
Using a 4K or higher resolution monitor will make the catalog file grow faster.

The recommended thing to do is to store the Lightroom Catalog file on a faster SSD, maybe your Highpoint SSD7101a, but the improvement should not be much.
Using smaller catalog files improves speed and is cheaper.

I think using the fastest single-core CPU, and more cores for export, is the way to speed up Lightroom the most.
What CPU should Mac Pro 7.1 use to help Lightroom speed up the most?

Lightroom 6 is pretty old; they're on version 9 now. Lightroom is definitely faster with a smaller catalog, but that can be pretty limiting to chop up your photos into multiple catalogs. There's also functions that are completely unrelated to catalog size that are slow--for example, the clone/heal brush and the adjustment brushes. Part of it is the way the whole application is architected such that you can go back to the original unedited photo, with retained history, and part of it just appears to be a lack of interest in speeding up performance on Adobe's part. For many functions it uses only one a few cores, even as processors have moved to having many cores--and that's clearly the direction of future processor improvements as well.

Because it is dependent heavily on CPU, having as fast a CPU as possible does help, but now with the enhanced GPU support in version 9.x a fast GPU with plenty of memory also helps. Some testing I've seen online suggests that LR seems to rarely use more than 6 CPU cores, except for certain tasks like exports, and Adobe's own hardware recommendations seem to imply the same. That said, for exports, more cores are definitely used. Other tasks like raw decoding are tied to the speed of a single core, as it's a pretty linear task that isn't able to be parallelized with most raw formats (Sony's format is an apparent exception, but I don't know if Adobe leverages that or not).

I ended up choosing the 16-core processor in my Mac Pro as a compromise. The 12-core would be another good choice. Both support the higher 2933Mhz memory speed, and have plenty of speed. While the base is 0.1 Ghz higher on the 12-core, I have found that the functions that tax the CPU spike it up to the 4.4 Ghz maximum anyway, so that base speed is pretty much irrelevant. I often have multiple apps open and running, so for me the 16-core option was better as I could be assured of resources for the other apps.

If I wanted to buy a machine 100% purely for Lightroom use, right now Apple doesn't have one, at least until they update the iMac line. The i9 and i7 Core-X processors perform extremely well with Lightroom, and have very high clock speeds.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
Let's put this to the forum members: Anyone with a new Mac Pro, 580X and XDR ProDisplay, please chime in.

I am currently using the 2013 MP with two AMD FirePro D500 cards. One of my LR preview catalogs is 360GB and I do run into slow photo loading from time to time.

Thank you all in advanced.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I found that Lightroom is using a lot of GPU memory, after switching between images in the develop module can fill up VRAM very quickly, is this means 8gb videoRAM is not good enough for LR(best performance) now? btw Im using the newest LR with GPU accelate ON. and a 2560X1600Monitor
Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 12.46.00 am.png

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Well I got my new Cheesegrater today with a single VEGA II, and I can report that the latest Version of Lightroom Classic is still SLUGGISH AS HELL on my 5k display.
Thank you Adobe!

• Sad
Reactions: gazwas

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Well I got my new Cheesegrater today with a single VEGA II, and I can report that the latest Version of Lightroom Classic is still SLUGGISH AS HELL on my 5k display.
Thank you Adobe!

Adobe has really been lagging on this issue. You can go down to lower resolution display and it is better, but why? The problem for me (and I'm sure many others share this) is that I've heavily leveraged the DAM features of LR to manage my photo archives--literally terabytes of photos. As a consequence, simply switching to another app is not an easy proposition. I've tried Capture One and frankly the UI just doesn't work at all for me, and the management of my library is too crucial to give up. In addition, I use a number of other apps with LR plugins, and that saves me tons of time in my workflow. Sigh.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Thank you Adobe!
What...............! even with vegaII?
I suggest you back to 2560x1440 thunderbolt display 27 in from apple or DELL 2560x1600(what Im using, the 16:10 is photo-friendly)
[automerge]1577715145[/automerge]
Adobe has really been lagging on this issue. You can go down to lower resolution display and it is better, but why? The problem for me (and I'm sure many others share this) is that I've heavily leveraged the DAM features of LR to manage my photo archives--literally terabytes of photos. As a consequence, simply switching to another app is not an easy proposition. I've tried Capture One and frankly the UI just doesn't work at all for me, and the management of my library is too crucial to give up. In addition, I use a number of other apps with LR plugins, and that saves me tons of time in my workflow. Sigh.
yea, a lot of presets in my LR, hard to switch Capture One, When you have a chance Can you please use the Intel Power Gadget and take a screenshot when exporting Raws? thanks a lot

Last edited:

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
What...............! even with vegaII?
I suggest you back to 2560x1440 thunderbolt display 27 in from apple or DELL 2560x1600(what Im using, the 16:10 is photo-friendly)
[automerge]1577715145[/automerge]

yea, a lot of presets in my LR, hard to switch Capture One, When you have a chance Can you please use the Intel Power Gadget and take a screenshot when exporting Raws? thanks a lot
yea, well switching back to a Low Res Display would surely speed up everything, including premiere's UI massively. But then again - WHY DID I JUST SPEND 10k $ for a new machine? WTF Adobe? The Apple Photos app BLASTS threw tens of thousands of photos like butter, and lightroom stutters like a broken app. Even on the iPad they managed to make Lightroom buttery smooth, but on the mac... oh my.

By the way the Memory on my Vega II is 92% full right now.
I think I might really need a second one, one for each display...

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
yea, well switching back to a Low Res Display would surely speed up everything, including premiere's UI massively. But then again - WHY DID I JUST SPEND 10k $ for a new machine? WTF Adobe? The Apple Photos app BLASTS threw tens of thousands of photos like butter, and lightroom stutters like a broken app. Even on the iPad they managed to make Lightroom buttery smooth, but on the mac... oh my.

By the way the Memory on my Vega II is 92% full right now.
I think I might really need a second one, one for each display...

What are you using to monitor the memory use in the Vega II?

But yeah...I knew that LR wouldn't get a ton better. I bought my Mac Pro to make everything else faster, and hoped that LR would be better. UI wise it's still sluggish, but my exports, etc. are much, much faster now. Anywhere from 2-3.5x faster than on my loaded 16" MacBook Pro. The annoying thing is the UI is in your face all of the time so the lag can be terribly annoying.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
What are you using to monitor the memory use in the Vega II?

But yeah...I knew that LR wouldn't get a ton better. I bought my Mac Pro to make everything else faster, and hoped that LR would be better. UI wise it's still sluggish, but my exports, etc. are much, much faster now. Anywhere from 2-3.5x faster than on my loaded 16" MacBook Pro. The annoying thing is the UI is in your face all of the time so the lag can be terribly annoying.
I use iStat Menus. It's crazy, right now the VRAM is at 95%, while I'm just using Safari. It's like it's filling up over time with whatever I open, and now it's just full... 32 gigs!!

Sure, exports and performance is much faster, I rendered a Premiere project in 2 minutes that used to take like 6-8 mintues before on my 8 core trashcan. So the performance is massive!!
But when the UI is sluggish, it still feels like you're on a years old machine, absolutely unacceptable.

I need to start looking for a serious Lightroom alternative.. or well, I'm hoping that they'll match the featureset of Lightroom classic eventually with the new Lightroom, as it runs more smoothly.

I'm wondering if a second Vega II would help if one display is attached to each GPU.. but probably it won't because the software is just so poorly written.

gazwas

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2008
Not good news for Adobe users that such a powerful new Machine can feel sluggish. You can walk away and make a cup of tea while exporting but sitting in front of your new Mac Pro waiting for sluggish UI is unacceptable with all that potential power at your fingertips.

Personally never liked LR with all that pointless module switching and I only ever use it for a few specific tasks as I get it free on the photography plan. Its a shame the new LR CC is only cloud based as its just not an option for professional use with the volume of image data shot in a week.

I imagine the amount of profits Adobe are making they don’t see the incentive to fix stuff in their software.

libertyranger10

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
That is disappointing to hear that such a powerful graphics card working with Lightroom gets these results. I wonder if Adobe will continue working on their GPU acceleration to help improve the sluggish UI, especially on the new 6k monitor. That was one of my hopes was getting a Mac Pro to use withe XDR montior with lightroom for improved speed and visuals over my 2014 27" iMac.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
That is disappointing to hear that such a powerful graphics card working with Lightroom gets these results. I wonder if Adobe will continue working on their GPU acceleration to help improve the sluggish UI, especially on the new 6k monitor. That was one of my hopes was getting a Mac Pro to use withe XDR montior with lightroom for improved speed and visuals over my 2014 27" iMac.
It is slightly better than on the old Mac Pro, but definitely still sluggish. I’m gonna make a video during the next days for you.
i didn’t really expect it to become buttery smooth, as I remember very well the outcry of iMac Pro users in another forum, who also had god awful UI performance on their top end machines. It must be something in The adobe code that hinders their UIs to render better on retina displays.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
It is slightly better than on the old Mac Pro, but definitely still sluggish. I’m gonna make a video during the next days for you.
i didn’t really expect it to become buttery smooth, as I remember very well the outcry of iMac Pro users in another forum, who also had god awful UI performance on their top end machines. It must be something in The adobe code that hinders their UIs to render better on retina displays.

If you poke around the Adobe forums and elsewhere, it's not limited to Apple's retina displays, either. People using PC's with 5K and great displays also have the same issue.

vel0city

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2017
All of Adobe's CC apps are old, bloated and full of old legacy code and in need of a massive refresh. After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop are all horrible in their performance no matter what hardware you run them on. They should put the entire CC suite on feature freeze and do a Snow Leopard and optimise optimise optimise. But they won't because how could marketing justify the yearly sub cost if nothing new was added for those NAB headlines?

If you try Photoshop next to Affinity Photo it feels like something from the distant past competing with an app beamed in from the future. The desktop and iPad versions of Affinity totally smoke Adobe's apps and are not far off each other feature wise. In the case of the iPad versions Affinity is years ahead.

Hopefully Affinity have a version of Lightroom in the works.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
If on a 4K monitor or below are no issues?

It's apparently much less of an issue at 4k and lower. I need to do some testing at my office with my new Mac Pro 7,1--I have the 6K ProDisplay XDR, the 5K LG and a 4K display. Later this week when I'm back after the holiday break I'll do some comparisons and report back.

Reactions: gazwas

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Since whenever multi-core CPUs have been available, countless people have slammed Adobe for not coding Photoshop to use all those cores all the time.
Well I'll let the whiners in on a secret: there's lots and lots of computational tasks that can NEVER be solved by parallel processing. It's impossible. I won't get into the nitty gritty of of it here (because granted, I don't claim to fully understand it) but in a nut shell, many image editing tasks require a serial approach to get the desired effect accomplished. Calculations have to be done sequentially to reach the final result. That means nothing more (like another core) can work on the problem until the first one finishes. But when the first CPU is done, there's no point in delegating the rest of the problem to another core when the first one is ready to go. So all the other cores just sit around doing nothing.
Granted, some things,like rendering certain effects and exporting can use gobs of cores to good advantage, a lot of the functions inside of Photoshop will never be able to... because it's not possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.