Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
Just an interesting observation to add here: While running Lightroom and editing photos I've noticed that it eventually totally pegs out the memory on my Pro Vega II. It doesn't free it up as I switch between tasks, either--it appears that once it's grabbed video memory it doesn't let it go. Once that memory is full is when I notice things getting a bit more sluggish.
Yes, same here, has anyone try older version without gpu acceleration? can you maybe try turn off gpu accerlation and check again, Im in holiday, dont have mac pro here can not check gpu accleration off, or is thre any good way to report to adobe

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I mentioned this before as it does absolutely the same on my system. I think it can’t have enough VRAM. But strange that it doesn’t give up the ram anymore. What’s going on there? Expected behavior?

I just tried my 16" MBP tonight and it does the same there. It's just what LR seems to be doing--pulling as much VRAM as it possibly can.
[automerge]1578184688[/automerge]
Yes, same here, has anyone try older version without gpu acceleration? can you maybe try turn off gpu accerlation and check again, Im in holiday, dont have mac pro here can not check gpu accleration off, or is thre any good way to report to adobe

I'm at home for the weekend so I can't mess with my Mac Pro, but I just tried it on my 16" MBP. I am using the latest version of LR Classic, and you can completely turn off GPU acceleration in the preferences. When I do that the UI definitely gets a bit more "laggy" and less responsive, but the graphics memory stays flat with only minimal use.

Last edited:

moab1

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2019
Here are three examples of how the interface behaves:
here you can see how the actual image editing goes very quickly, just the image browser is soooo sluggish.

My machine is still very sluggish on image editing also, not just browsing. (Just made a quick video below. watch mouse delay). This is a straight raw file from camera with no other adjustments from a Sony A7RIV files (60+ megapixels). What size files are you playing with on your machine?

Mac Pro 7,1 16-core, 192GB ram, Vega II
LG 5K Display
Lightroom 9.1

(I just shrunk my window down to about 1/3rd of the 5k display and movements are much snappier).

I'm going to play around in CaptureOne 20 next. I use both tools quite a bit.

(Update: GPU accelerator got switched off somehow. Reset to auto there is now significant bump in performance, but browsing and all other modules on the 5K screen are still terribly sluggish)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: chfilm

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
My machine is still very sluggish on image editing also, not just browsing. (Just made a quick video below. UI is so sluggish doing simple tasks. This is a straight raw file from camera with no other adjustments from a Sony A7RIV files (60+ megapixels). What size files are you playing with on your machine?

LG 5K Display
Lightroom 9.1

(I just shrunk my window down to about 1/3rd of the 5k display and movements are much snappier).

Lightroom still just seems to really hate high-resolution screens. I assume you have the GPU acceleration turned on?

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
My machine is still very sluggish on image editing also, not just browsing. (Just made a quick video below. UI is so sluggish doing simple tasks. This is a straight raw file from camera with no other adjustments from a Sony A7RIV files (60+ megapixels). What size files are you playing with on your machine?

LG 5K Display
Lightroom 9.1

Omg that’s awful!
Are you sure you have the GPU acceleration enabled?
I was playing with 48mp raw files from my Sony RX1RII.

Feel free to send me over that file that you were taking the video on and I’ll test how the sliders behave on my machine.

Gosh after seeing this I’m happy with my performance! That looks terrible. I made more tests today and editing is really extremely well performing, it’s just the catalogue that’s so slow.

moab1

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2019
Omg that’s awful!
Are you sure you have the GPU acceleration enabled?
I was playing with 48mp raw files from my Sony RX1RII.

Feel free to send me over that file that you were taking the video on and I’ll test how the sliders behave on my machine.

Gosh after seeing this I’m happy with my performance! That looks terrible. I made more tests today and editing is really extremely well performing, it’s just the catalogue that’s so slow.

GPU was on but got switched off somehow, so I'm retesting now with it set to "Auto", and yes it is much snappier. Now if Adobe could only get the rest of the modules to work just as fast (Grid, browsing, etc.)

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I just tried my 16" MBP tonight and it does the same there. It's just what LR seems to be doing--pulling as much VRAM as it possibly can.
[automerge]1578184688[/automerge]

I'm at home for the weekend so I can't mess with my Mac Pro, but I just tried it on my 16" MBP. I am using the latest version of LR Classic, and you can completely turn off GPU acceleration in the preferences. When I do that the UI definitely gets a bit more "laggy" and less responsive, but the graphics memory stays flat with only minimal use.
Thanks a lot for your up date, It seems use as much VRAM as it can, even VRAM got 32gb, and it does not free up un used VRAM, hope they will fix LR Gpu performance in future update
[automerge]1578194205[/automerge]
My machine is still very sluggish on image editing also, not just browsing. (Just made a quick video below. watch mouse delay). This is a straight raw file from camera with no other adjustments from a Sony A7RIV files (60+ megapixels). What size files are you playing with on your machine?

LG 5K Display
Lightroom 9.1

(Update: GPU accelerator got switched off somehow. Reset to auto there is now significant bump in performance, but browsing and all other modules on the 5K screen are still terribly sluggish)
Do you mean GPU accelerates in LR set to “AUTO mode” will make it faster than set to "Custom mode" which uses full GPU accretion?

That is wired. I thought a fully used setting will be faster.

Can anyone please check VRAM usage in AUTO mode? Coz I'm not with my Mac atm, is it Still always fill up very quickly and keep fully used?

Last edited:

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
Thanks a lot for your up date, It seems use as much VRAM as it can, even VRAM got 32gb, and it does not free up un used VRAM, hope they will fix LR Gpu performance in future update
[automerge]1578194205[/automerge]

Do you mean GPU accelerates in LR set to “AUTO mode” will make it faster than set to "Custom mode" which uses full GPU accretion?

That is wired. I thought a fully used setting will be faster.

Can anyone please check VRAM usage in AUTO mode? Coz I'm not with my Mac atm, is it Still always fill up very quickly and keep fully used?

I just spent about 5 minutes doing a variety of edits to photos with LR 9.1 and my 16" MBP and with the GPU acceleration set to "Auto" it rapidly jumped up to about 75% memory use and fluctuated between 76-78% for most of the time. I'll try all of this on the Mac Pro on Monday.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I just spent about 5 minutes doing a variety of edits to photos with LR 9.1 and my 16" MBP and with the GPU acceleration set to "Auto" it rapidly jumped up to about 75% memory use and fluctuated between 76-78% for most of the time. I'll try all of this on the Mac Pro on Monday.
Thanks a lot for your update again, because before you said it become laggier when it goes full, can you please also check how do you fell the speed differences between auto and custom later in mac pro

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI

LG 5K Display
Lightroom 9.1

I have basically the same setup but a 12 Core. Performance is god awful, its basically un useable. Lag like crazy. What the hell is going on? Ive tried a new catalog thinking it was a bloated catalog size that could be the issue.

Adobe please fix this or I'm about to jump ship.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
I have basically the same setup but a 12 Core. Performance is god awful, its basically un useable. Lag like crazy. What the hell is going on? Ive tried a new catalog thinking it was a bloated catalog size that could be the issue.

Adobe please fix this or I'm about to jump ship.

Make sure that you have GPU acceleration enabled. That makes a big difference. I am pretty annoyed too, but then I went and tried a couple of competitors this weekend--like ON1 and Affinity Photo, both of which come highly recommended and are described as "fast" but both were terribly slow at tasks that I do all of the time--much slower than Lightroom. The perfect example with both apps was retouching dust spots. Just awful. Never mind the lack of plugins that I use in Lightroom, and the excellent DAM capabilities of Lightroom. Needless to say, it was quite disheartening to discover how slow these other two were. I haven't tried Capture One yet, but based on what I've read it's not really any faster than LR either. Ughh.

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI
Make sure that you have GPU acceleration enabled. That makes a big difference. I am pretty annoyed too, but then I went and tried a couple of competitors this weekend--like ON1 and Affinity Photo, both of which come highly recommended and are described as "fast" but both were terribly slow at tasks that I do all of the time--much slower than Lightroom. The perfect example with both apps was retouching dust spots. Just awful. Never mind the lack of plugins that I use in Lightroom, and the excellent DAM capabilities of Lightroom. Needless to say, it was quite disheartening to discover how slow these other two were. I haven't tried Capture One yet, but based on what I've read it's not really any faster than LR either. Ughh.

I have and am trouble shooting with a senior tech at Adobe right now. Ive never experienced it this bad. Same catalog and brand new catalogs on my 16" MacBook Pro work great as they should. I expected the Mac Pro to be blazing fast and clearly there are some major bugs in conjunction with this hardware. I really do hope this gets figured out soon I didn't spend this kind of money to in a worse position than I was before.

libertyranger10

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I have and am trouble shooting with a senior tech at Adobe right now. Ive never experienced it this bad. Same catalog and brand new catalogs on my 16" MacBook Pro work great as they should. I expected the Mac Pro to be blazing fast and clearly there are some major bugs in conjunction with this hardware. I really do hope this gets figured out soon I didn't spend this kind of money to in a worse position than I was before.

Let us know what you find out!
[automerge]1578372849[/automerge]

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI

What we have found out is that there is clearly an issue when you try and run the application at anything other than the default setting resolution wise on the monitors which means 1080P which means you don't get to take advantage of the dual 4k displays. I never had an issue like this with the previous Mac Pro. Just that it started to slow down when it came to these higher resolution images. Lightroom runs natively at 1080P and when the monitors are set to something higher than that the computer has to upscale it and this is where the problem lies with the new Mac Pro. Their engineers now know about it and hopefully they can start to try and figure out a solution to this problem. Maybe its time to get a full on 4k version of this application already....

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
It does use all 12 cores of my Mac Pro 2013 when exporting, the reason I use 28 cores it will save me 2/3 of time when I export photos, I export thousands of RAW every few days.
and every minute counts for me. if it just saves 20 mins per day, the extra 20 mins that I can use it to sleep or break, that is worth for me for the next 4-5 years time
I use these examples against myself when I want to save vs let it continue.
Again now all of this is no purchase tax. But the Mac Pro would cost an extra $500 there. No further accessories. But removing taxes.

$30 per hour paid, 20 minutes per day saved is $10. x 5 days a week = $50 saved per week.
x 4 = $200 saved per month. = $2,400 per year.
$5,999 divided by $2,400 = 2 year and 6 months to break even with no taxes.

for $20, 20 minutes = $6..6 per day. x 5 days a week = $33 saved per week.
33 x 4 = $132 saved per month. = $1,584 saved per year.
$5,999 divided by $1,584 = 3 years and 8 months.

If for 40 hours per week, you save 20 minutes of work per day = 100 minutes or 1 hr 40 minutes of time saved per 40 hrs of work.

Until break even point, you have lost money up until we reach break even point. After break even, the saved time, is actual saved timed.

zhpenn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 27, 2014
I use these examples against myself when I want to save vs let it continue.
Again now all of this is no purchase tax. But the Mac Pro would cost an extra $500 there. No further accessories. But removing taxes.

$30 per hour paid, 20 minutes per day saved is $10. x 5 days a week = $50 saved per week.
x 4 = $200 saved per month. = $2,400 per year.
$5,999 divided by $2,400 = 2 year and 6 months to break even with no taxes.

for $20, 20 minutes = $6..6 per day. x 5 days a week = $33 saved per week.
33 x 4 = $132 saved per month. = $1,584 saved per year.
$5,999 divided by $1,584 = 3 years and 8 months.

If for 40 hours per week, you save 20 minutes of work per day = 100 minutes or 1 hr 40 minutes of time saved per 40 hrs of work.

Until break even point, you have lost money up until we reach break even point. After break even, the saved time, is actual saved timed.
?You are very good at math?
[automerge]1578387643[/automerge]
Hi how can you get contact with the tech guy?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
What we have found out is that there is clearly an issue when you try and run the application at anything other than the default setting resolution wise on the monitors which means 1080P which means you don't get to take advantage of the dual 4k displays. I never had an issue like this with the previous Mac Pro. Just that it started to slow down when it came to these higher resolution images. Lightroom runs natively at 1080P and when the monitors are set to something higher than that the computer has to upscale it and this is where the problem lies with the new Mac Pro. Their engineers now know about it and hopefully they can start to try and figure out a solution to this problem. Maybe its time to get a full on 4k version of this application already....

I was going to ask you what resolution display you are using. The problem with Lightroom and high resolution is an old one, so nothing new to the Mac Pro. I've been dealing with it for several years now, starting when I got the LG 5K display when it was released, which I used with my 15" MBP's and most recently the 16". At a certain point you just sort of resign yourself to it, regrettably. For whatever reason, the 16" seems to deal with the Lightroom lag really well, not sure if it's a better driver or the newer Navi architecture of the chip. It also seems that running two displays makes Lightroom behave even worse than just one.

If you poke around the Internet you'll find a ton of people up in arms about the same thing. It started to rear it's ugly head with the 5K iMacs a few years back. Adobe made some tweaks that helped but with more high-Mp cameras coming out it's once again started to be problematic. At the same time a lot of pro and prosumer photographers on the PC side have started to get 4K and 5K monitors and are seeing issues as well--it's not just limited to Macs, as you pointed out its the way the app was written.

I don't know if you use other apps for photo editing, but as I pointed out this past week I finally decided I have to try some other apps and I have to say I was disappointed in the two I tried--both were actually *slower* than Lightroom at some of the tasks I spend a lot of time doing. I shoot with the Sony A7R IV and those big 61-mp files just strain all of the software I've tried so far. :(

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I was going to ask you what resolution display you are using. The problem with Lightroom and high resolution is an old one, so nothing new to the Mac Pro. I've been dealing with it for several years now, starting when I got the LG 5K display when it was released, which I used with my 15" MBP's and most recently the 16". At a certain point you just sort of resign yourself to it, regrettably. For whatever reason, the 16" seems to deal with the Lightroom lag really well, not sure if it's a better driver or the newer Navi architecture of the chip. It also seems that running two displays makes Lightroom behave even worse than just one.

If you poke around the Internet you'll find a ton of people up in arms about the same thing. It started to rear it's ugly head with the 5K iMacs a few years back. Adobe made some tweaks that helped but with more high-Mp cameras coming out it's once again started to be problematic. At the same time a lot of pro and prosumer photographers on the PC side have started to get 4K and 5K monitors and are seeing issues as well--it's not just limited to Macs, as you pointed out its the way the app was written.

I don't know if you use other apps for photo editing, but as I pointed out this past week I finally decided I have to try some other apps and I have to say I was disappointed in the two I tried--both were actually *slower* than Lightroom at some of the tasks I spend a lot of time doing. I shoot with the Sony A7R IV and those big 61-mp files just strain all of the software I've tried so far. :(

If the newer gpu generation handles this much better it might be worth looking into a second mpx module with a 5700x wenn it comes out.. we have to keep an eye on this. It’s just a shame that adobe can’t fix this.

I just tried out Lightroom CC for the first time on the new machine - and while on the trashcan it was also very stuttery, I can report that it runs A LOT better now. Really smooth actually! :) That's great news!!
It tells me, that they will never fix classic, but will just abandon it eventually, when full functionality is established in the CC version. And it shows what a difference a newly from the ground up written code can make. This is the smoothest Adobe UI that I've seen on the new machine.

How do you guys feel about CC at this moment? What keeps you from switching? I find it pretty insane to upload hundreds of gigabyte routinely through my 20mbit connection, and to pay Adobe for that cloud storage when I absolutely dont need it, but right now I'm reconsidering ;)

Last edited:

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
How do you guys feel about CC at this moment? What keeps you from switching? I find it pretty insane to upload hundreds of gigabyte routinely through my 20mbit connection, and to pay Adobe for that cloud storage when I absolutely dont need it, but right now I'm reconsidering

You do not "NEED" to use the Cloud even with Lightroom CC. There are some methods to disable CC sync across devices and JUST keep everything on desktop or single machine:

What happens to my photos if I exceed my allotment of cloud storage?
If you run out of storage, your new photos will be saved only on the devices they came from. They’ll no longer be backed up to the cloud or synced across your devices, and they won’t be automatically tagged for easy keyword search within Lightroom. The photos you have already backed up to the cloud will still be accessible on all your devices.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019
If the newer gpu generation handles this much better it might be worth looking into a second mpx module with a 5700x wenn it comes out.. we have to keep an eye on this. It’s just a shame that adobe can’t fix this.

I just tried out Lightroom CC for the first time on the new machine - and while on the trashcan it was also very stuttery, I can report that it runs A LOT better now. Really smooth actually! :) That's great news!!
It tells me, that they will never fix classic, but will just abandon it eventually, when full functionality is established in the CC version. And it shows what a difference a newly from the ground up written code can make. This is the smoothest Adobe UI that I've seen on the new machine.

How do you guys feel about CC at this moment? What keeps you from switching? I find it pretty insane to upload hundreds of gigabyte routinely through my 20mbit connection, and to pay Adobe for that cloud storage when I absolutely dont need it, but right now I'm reconsidering ;)

I really hope you're wrong, because every time I try LR CC I continue to hate it. The UI is just unwieldy and there are TONS of tools that are missing, many of them crucial. Meanwhile, they've completely altered the way you do certain tasks, so it's incredibly difficult to simply move from one to the other if you've spent the last 10+ years using Lightroom Classic, as I and many professional photographers have.

I just tried it again this morning...and blecchhh. No. Missing way too much. I also didn't find it to be terribly fast, at least no faster than Classic on my Mac Pro for the tasks I'm doing. Certainly not on editing tasks. The whole thing is trying to force me into one way of doing things just so they can use the same UI on a tablet or phone. Sorry, but I have a computer precisely so I DON'T have to have the limitations of a tablet or phone. They're different tools for different tasks. If Adobe goes that route and forces me to LR CC then I will dump them and I doubt I'll be the only one.

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI

I ran the same setup with two 32” 4k displays with the trash can for 6 years and never ever had an issue with the lag and what I’m experiencing on this new Mac. It did start to struggle with the 47mp files from the D850 and Z7 and because of this I had been doing most of all my editing on my MacBook Pro 15” before and now 16”. I always ran the resolution of the 4k displays at the second highest same with the MacBook Pro the MacBook Pro has no problem upscaling the app.

I downloaded a trial of capture one and started to play around with it but haven’t had much time and won’t for a couple weeks now thanks to a trade show and a photo assignment.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
You do not "NEED" to use the Cloud even with Lightroom CC. There are some methods to disable CC sync across devices and JUST keep everything on desktop or single machine:

What happens to my photos if I exceed my allotment of cloud storage?
If you run out of storage, your new photos will be saved only on the devices they came from. They’ll no longer be backed up to the cloud or synced across your devices, and they won’t be automatically tagged for easy keyword search within Lightroom. The photos you have already backed up to the cloud will still be accessible on all your devices.
Ah i see, that’s good actually.
Though what I’m currently doing, as absurd as it sounds is, I backup my photos Into Lightroom classic, then I sync that new album to the cloud, chose them on the iPad because it’s so much more fluid, and then edit the selection on Lightroom classic.
if I would try to do The same with CC, and had run out of storage immediately, I couldn’t get my pix on the iPad anymore...
damn I hate you adobe!
[automerge]1578409328[/automerge]
I ran the same setup with two 32” 4k displays with the trash can for 6 years and never ever had an issue with the lag and what I’m experiencing on this new Mac. It did start to struggle with the 47mp files from the D850 and Z7 and because of this I had been doing most of all my editing on my MacBook Pro 15” before and now 16”. I always ran the resolution of the 4k displays at the second highest same with the MacBook Pro the MacBook Pro has no problem upscaling the app.

I downloaded a trial of capture one and started to play around with it but haven’t had much time and won’t for a couple weeks now thanks to a trade show and a photo assignment.
Strange, the new Mac is definitely faster with the UI than the old one for me.

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI
I really hope you're wrong, because every time I try LR CC I continue to hate it. The UI is just unwieldy and there are TONS of tools that are missing, many of them crucial. Meanwhile, they've completely altered the way you do certain tasks, so it's incredibly difficult to simply move from one to the other if you've spent the last 10+ years using Lightroom Classic, as I and many professional photographers have.

I just tried it again this morning...and blecchhh. No. Missing way too much. I also didn't find it to be terribly fast, at least no faster than Classic on my Mac Pro for the tasks I'm doing. Certainly not on editing tasks. The whole thing is trying to force me into one way of doing things just so they can use the same UI on a tablet or phone. Sorry, but I have a computer precisely so I DON'T have to have the limitations of a tablet or phone. They're different tools for different tasks. If Adobe goes that route and forces me to LR CC then I will dump them and I doubt I'll be the only one.

I agree 1000% on Lightroom CC.

There’s too many tools and things missing. I get the idea and think it could be cool to sync everything and edit from a desktop, laptop, and a iPad/iPhone but there’s no way a real professional is going to come back from a shoot with say 5,000 images which will be about 200GB of data and be able to sync across all devices to edit. I want them loaded on my desktop with two high resolution color accurate monitors and be able to move through them very quickly and move on to the next shoot.

Lightroom Classic is still what most professionals choose to use because it’s the best but it needs some major updates to take advantage of new hardware and and high resolution monitors which we want to work on to see our work in the highest of detail.
[automerge]1578410648[/automerge]
Ah i see, that’s good actually.
Though what I’m currently doing, as absurd as it sounds is, I backup my photos Into Lightroom classic, then I sync that new album to the cloud, chose them on the iPad because it’s so much more fluid, and then edit the selection on Lightroom classic.
if I would try to do The same with CC, and had run out of storage immediately, I couldn’t get my pix on the iPad anymore...
damn I hate you adobe!
[automerge]1578409328[/automerge]

Strange, the new Mac is definitely faster with the UI than the old one for me.

What version of the Mac did you get and what graphics card?

Last edited:

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2019

Just so I understand, what graphics card do you have on your new Mac Pro? And are you still using the same two 4K monitors?

Right now the Mac Pro is pretty much the same on the new ProDisplay XDR as it was on the 16" MBP. I would have liked it to be faster and more responsive but it's not. It is however vastly faster at doing exports, and things like creating hundreds of 1:1 Previews for editing. The time saved there is well worth the upgrade for me, frustrations about the UI lag notwithstanding.

jcxstar13

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
La Crosse, WI
Just so I understand, what graphics card do you have on your new Mac Pro? And are you still using the same two 4K monitors?

Right now the Mac Pro is pretty much the same on the new ProDisplay XDR as it was on the 16" MBP. I would have liked it to be faster and more responsive but it's not. It is however vastly faster at doing exports, and things like creating hundreds of 1:1 Previews for editing. The time saved there is well worth the upgrade for me, frustrations about the UI lag notwithstanding.

I had the basic 580x first and It was a little slow but was still useable but wasn’t the experience I was expecting from this new Mac Pro so I wanted to try the pro Vega II card and only way to do it was to return that machine and reorder. I made a few other changes to my order as well. I am impressed with the speed of building previews, exports and really everything else when I have the resolution of the display set to 1080p.

I am running BenQ PD3200U monitors. How do you like the XDR? Would have liked to but budget for now needed to be spent on the performance gains.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.