Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I think there is an assumption in your initial statement which may not be entirely true and would effect what happens this year. I lot of us, me included, have an iPhone X and there isn't a lot of conversation about it because it isn't a new model and there isn't much news. However, it will be 2 years old at the end of this year, along with other phones. If people keep to 2 year ownership as many did and finance plans match we will be in the market at the end of 2019. So there may be many of us doing new phones at the end of the year.
A few years ago almost no one bought new every year so wouldn't expect XS, etc. to buy this year. The end of the year may turn out to be a great sales year.

Reactions: BluefinTuna

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
This. It's an S year and all the Regular people and all the S people upgraded to the 8 or the X a little over a year ago.

Because the 7 and 7S were so dull compared to the 6 and 6S, a ton of people kept their 6's and went straight to the 8 or X as they had cool features like wireless charging, Face ID, etc. that the 7's didn't have.

2018 and 2019 are going to be off-year's for iPhone. Look for the glut of 8 and X owners to upgrade in 2020.
Wasn’t 2018 the S year hence the XS name?
And what is an iphone 7s?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hardware is not really overhauled dramatically on an annual basis, iPhones tend to be more conservative with their changes, I do think the ‘triple lens’ camera should be really interesting to see how Apple diversifies with what it has potential to do, but more than anything, I really want to see better low light photos, similar to something to what the Pixel is doing with ‘Night-Sight.’

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016
The vast majority of users on this forum seem to be on

1) An X, Xs, XS Max
2) XR
3) Bought an 8 recently due to the familiar form factor
4) Holding on to 6s/7 due to cost

The rumors seem to suggest that the XS, XS Max and XR will all get somewhat minor upgrades. The XR may go to a dual camera system, the XS Max may get a triple lens camera, but otherwise no major upgrades have been rumored.

If this is the case, will the majority of people on this forum skip upgrading this year? I don't see any other outcome.

I don't see why there's not a reason to upgrade unless you refuse to take anything other than the traditional design or 2019 just happens to be the year that you don't want a new phone. Seems there are minor upgrades most of the time. Looking at maybe getting the XS Max upgrade, just because it'll have been two years.

gpoop

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2017
I upgrade every 2 years. In September I will have had the X for two years so yes I'll be upgrading.

themightyjaymoe

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2015
I just got the XR. I’ll hang on to this phone for 2-3 years unless something really game changing is introduced.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I upgrade every 2 years. In September I will have had the X for two years so yes I'll be upgrading.
That was my (draft) plan a while back, but the X is still performing like a new device. Now I’m thinking 2020, with the inclusion of 5G & hopefully a much smaller notch, it will see me out until 2023 at least.

Cellular (5G) future-proofing is on my radar for the next iPhone.

2019’s offering may be another fizzer, especially in countries where Telcos are ramping up their 5G rollout - those planning on holding the phone for at least 2 years may not want to have the last 4G iPhone still in their possession in 2020-2021...mainly referring to those in big cities, where 5G will appear before anywhere else.

biracialfamily91

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2015
Queens, NY
We generally upgrade on the Jump program every year. This year is no different. However, with the addition of 5G next year. We might just skip and wait till the following year. Our XS Max (2) have been awesome. There are 3 things that will get us to upgrade for sure in 2019.

1. Triple lens camera
2. FaceID 2
3. Must retain 3D Touch

If 3D Touch has been wiped out of the face of the iPhone then we will keep the XS Max for another year and upgrade in 2020. No 3D Touch is a dealbreaker for me and the hubby.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I skipped upgrading my 6S to the 7 because besides water resistance, I felt it wasn’t worth the cost. I picked up the X when it came out and absolutely love the phone so when the XS was released I was tempted to upgrade. After spending some time with the XS I wasn’t seeing much of an improvement in day to day use so I skipped it and have no regrets. Upgrading every two or three years seems to work well for me so I’ll stick to that cycle..

Reactions: Ralfi

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Holding on to my XS Max until there is a form factor change... The only thing that would make me upgrade in 2019 is if they change the form factor to look like the new iPad Pro's style. A triple camera lens and the usual marginal camera improvements will not do it for me.

I only upgraded to the XS Max because I found one used for an amazing price, so technically Apple didnt get an upgrade from me, as that phone was already purchased by someone else.

Reactions: Azzin

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Look at Apple’s hardware upgrades annually, are they ever really that drastic in change? Aside from the X and iPhone 6, it’s been incremental. That’s how Apple has always been with being conservative and they are notorious for rationing their features.

That said, the ‘Triple lens’ could enhancements perhaps with low light and VR rendering, either way, it will be a fairly substantial upgrade to the camera system.
The 5 is a drastically different phone than the 4/4S. And the 5S introduced a killer feature in Touch ID (although we didn't really understand it at the time). I'd even go as far to say the speed increases with the 6S over the 6 was beyond incremental. The iPhone 6's 1GB of RAM made the user experience pretty awful, so those that upgraded to the 6S saw crazy speed improvements and the elimination of app refresh nightmares.

Last edited:

Think creative

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2013
as someone who held onto my old phone and got the battery replaced (6s+), next year is the perfect time for me to upgrade. I'll get the XR2 most likely, with the new chip, hopefully a second camera, and all that. I'll love it, and hold on till 5G isn't just some BS, but actually in major places I live and visit.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Anyone else hoping they just ditch the X series and release the iPhone 9 (an upgraded 8 phone). This is what we all want, even though some won't admit it.

Reactions: timeconsumer

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
That said, the ‘Triple lens’ could enhancements perhaps with low light and VR rendering, either way, it will be a fairly substantial upgrade to the camera system.

The current dual lens system is really good on my Xs — as it was on my 7 Plus. I don't use most of that functionality now so that will not compel a 2019 upgrade. Apple will have to bring more to the table.

The biggest upgrade will be FaceID 2, which will be a real upgrade.

How so? Face ID works quite well now. I don't care if it can see through a Halloween mask, that won't get me upgrading.

However, with the addition of 5G next year.

Bingo! That, along with the other features, might get me to consider it in 2020. Maybe... Could happen... We'll see... 5G has to be real...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.